GRRRR - cars taking two spaces up!

You have had 40 plus cars in 18 years - hell, you really should look after them better shouldn't you/:hihi:

all my cars are impeccable and always leave me in better condition than i got them why dont you find some other thread to make daft comments on as I notice you seem to comment on most things !

B Trautmann - are you seriously claiming that you have never had a ding in a car door?

Or does it just suit your argument at the moment to pretend that this damage doesn't alter the value of a car?

Whether you choose to have them repaired or not is entirely up to you, but it's obvious that two otherwise identical cars apart from a myriad of small dents, when valued at sale time will be worth different amounts.

You may be phlegmatic about the situation and consider it to be normal wear and tear. Maybe you just don't care as your cars are already old and of little interest to you. Not everyone is the same though.

I park at the far end of the car park deliberately to avoid the situation of some moron hitting my car with their door, so far that's been successful. Of course I still have chips from driving on the motorway every day and that is something I can't reasonably avoid. But non-the-less, if someone dints my car door, it will be damage and will have reduced the value of the car.

B Trautmann - are you seriously claiming that you have never had a ding in a car door?

Or does it just suit your argument at the moment to pretend that this damage doesn't alter the value of a car?

Whether you choose to have them repaired or not is entirely up to you, but it's obvious that two otherwise identical cars apart from a myriad of small dents, when valued at sale time will be worth different amounts.

The trade in value for any car is based on its condition, which is a function partly of it's age. No one expects a 10 year old car in average, or even good condition to be completely perfect, so the small dent is neither here nor there.

I've had one very small dent in a door in 17 years. You could hardly see it, so I left it. The rest of the car was only 'average' condition anyway, so there was no value lost in it having an almost invisible small dent where many other cars have small dents.

I think the value of a car with a small dent on the door and one without will be so minutely different that other factors (mileage, service history, how clean the seats are, how good the tyres are, how much tax there is, how new the tyres are, whether or not the purchaser likes the colour ...) will have much more effect on the price.

You may be phlegmatic about the situation and consider it to be normal wear and tear. Maybe you just don't care as your cars are already old and of little interest to you. Not everyone is the same though.

The first one. It's not a frequently occurring problem, it doesn't change the look or the value of the car much, and you cannot expect a metal box that is driven around at high speed and parked near to other things to remain in pristine condition for years.

I park at the far end of the car park deliberately to avoid the situation of some moron hitting my car with their door, so far that's been successful. Of course I still have chips from driving on the motorway every day and that is something I can't reasonably avoid. But non-the-less, if someone dints my car door, it will be damage and will have reduced the value of the car.

Excellent advice - other people on the thread should be as practical as you - you can't stop people having accidents (as I believe most of these door-denting incidents are - keying cars is different of course) so if those accidents are going to annoy you, try and avoid them.

When I had my new car I did used to park further away where there are more spaces, but that was partly because I needed to loose some weight at the time!

to be fare the places at crystal peaks are rubbish. most are only marked with different coloured bricks whoch arent clear unless you know of them and they are very narrow.

but yes i do agree that alot of it is just ignerance and its well out of order. its also ignerance when they use parent and toddler or disabled that they dont need. Unfortunatly we live in a world of ignerant people who dont have a moment to spare no more. it spoils is for the decent people

I don't keep my cars for 10 years, so there's little chance of me ever PXing a 10 year old one.

Since my current example has no dings at the moment, collecting several would alter the PX value. Wear and tear is to be expected but there's a reason that parkers guide lists 3 prices, excellent, average and poor. Many dings means it's poor (along with other factors obviously) and no dings (assuming the rest of the condition matches) is excellent. When I sell the car I'd expect the difference between those two states to be a thousand quid.

If you've only collected one ding in 17 years then either you never park anywhere except your own drive, you're extremely lucky, or you're extremely unobservant.

I've been sat in a car (reading) when some ignorant prat opened their door without caring that they slammed it into my wing. They were quite surprised when I shouted at them.

Of course non of this is an excuse to park across two spaces, that's just selfish unless the car park is already very quiet (in which case it becomes pointless).

And of course someone being selfish is no reason to become awkward and deliberately try to block their door.

And of course if someone does that to you, it's no excuse to commit criminal damage (although I wouldn't go around doing it as eventually someone will key your car for being a prat).

I don't keep my cars for 10 years, so there's little chance of me ever PXing a 10 year old one.

Excellent. I can't help but point out though that the amount of time you keep it is not the only factor - how old it was when you got it is also important. I'm irritatingly pedantic like that!

Since my current example has no dings at the moment, collecting several would alter the PX value. Wear and tear is to be expected but there's a reason that parkers guide lists 3 prices, excellent, average and poor. Many dings means it's poor (along with other factors obviously) and no dings (assuming the rest of the condition matches) is excellent.

This is exactly the point I made - a few little dings makes less difference to the value of the car than lots of other factors, so unless you car is in all ways perfect, apart from a few dings, the effect on it's trade in value in negligible.

If you've only collected one ding in 17 years then either you never park anywhere except your own drive, you're extremely lucky, or you're extremely unobservant.

I generally don't park near cars that are on the edge of their space, or cars that look tatty, or have stupid body kits and big exhausts, or cars that aren't parked very well. I also tend not to park as near as I can possibly get to where I am going, I just park up when I see a space without going to the far corners of the car park. My theory is that the cars parked very near the escalators at Medowhall, say, are owned by people with children who couldn't get in the parent and child spaces, the infirm, the lazy, the self-important and people in a hurry. All of whom, for their own reasons, are more likely to damage my car than the average person. Maybe I make my own luck.

I've been sat in a car (reading) when some ignorant prat opened their door without caring that they slammed it into my wing.

I've been sat in my car when someone has hit it with their door. They didn't damage it though.

I agree with your comments about two spaces and committing deliberate criminal damage, although the poster who claims to have done the latter has more recently claimed that they haven't, so we're in the dark there.

All quite sensible about who you park next too. The problem comes though when they leave and the humvee with a child seat in the back and a 7 year old in the front arrives next. You end up with 2 new dings despite parking carefully.

And despite you wishing otherwise, the number of dings affects the px price and so each ding has a cost.

This really makes me MAD! - people who can't park within the white lines of a parking bay, so effectively taking two spaces up! Today I went to Crystal Peaks - and was ages trying to find a space because of this. I find this happens regularly at Crystal Peaks.

Rant over!

Some people have nice cars and do not want to park next to people with old bangers who could not care less when opening their doors.

People with child seats in the backs of their cars are a menace. I avoid parking next to them wherever possible.
well you take that up with the powers that be, because I think child car seats are a menace too (and we have one), but they're as much a legal requirement as your MOT :rolleyes:

People with child seats in the backs of their cars are a menace. I avoid parking next to them wherever possible.

You'll be fine next to us then, the child seat is in the middle in the front. :hihi:

I didn't question that you'd spent the money.

I asked what repairs you have had, and questioned whether these might be a result of the way you park as much as other people being inconsiderate, as your bill contrasts rather starkly with mine for the same period.

Only a monumental idiot (i.e you) would take a sample size of one and extrapolate that as a reason to question someone else's driving. You're a serial troll and should be banned.

Jus for record If a car park is busy i'l take up 2 spaces so fat/dozy people dont ruin my lovley 17 year old paint work!