Health and Safety at Work

It is Gods Gift to the working man

It is also a pain in the backside that sometimes is imposable to follow

Here is an example of a pointless H&S rule:

I work outdoors, and we're forbidden to walk on grass. The reason? It is too slippy and we might fall down and injure ourselves.

However when it snows or is really icy... they don't bat an eyelid!

It is also a pain in the backside that sometimes is imposable to follow

The majority of the problem comes from interpretations of the rules by people who do not understand them. The laws themselves are not a massive problem, and almost every "we're not alllowed to because of health and safety" stems back to either a poor management decision, or an insurance company - not the law.

On the point of ladders, clearly you can use them - Sky engineers spend all day putting up dishes two or three stories high directly off ladders.

Here is an example of a pointless H&S rule:

I work outdoors, and we're forbidden to walk on grass. The reason? It is too slippy and we might fall down and injure ourselves.

However when it snows or is really icy... they don't bat an eyelid!

Who is responsible for the rule though? It's clearly not illegal since footballers are paid to run around on grass - I'm sure gardners would have a hard time as well.

Who is responsible for the rule though? It's clearly not illegal since footballers are paid to run around on grass - I'm sure gardners would have a hard time as well.

It is the policy of the Health and Safety managers where I work. My manager started having kittens when I told him I needed to walk across grass to gain access to a property. His solution? a 15 minute detour...

Here is some else for you to debate about. There is a peice in the Sheffield STAR paper from friday 2nd July 2010 on page 10 stating that SCC has paid out too much money in the trip compensation. The peice is entitled Soaring toll of trip tax. The PM David Cameron has appointed Lord Young to shake up the H&S laws.. Lord Young has described H&S legislation as a joke.!

The majority of the problem comes from interpretations of the rules by people who do not understand them. The laws themselves are not a massive problem, and almost every "we're not alllowed to because of health and safety" stems back to either a poor management decision, or an insurance company - not the law.

That seems to apply to a lot of things in a lot of places.

On the point of ladders, clearly you can use them - Sky engineers spend all day putting up dishes two or three stories high directly off ladders.

When we first had sky the bloke that fitted it did an great job , he run the cable uo to the gutter then hid it behind the gutter to run to the end of the house and put the dish high up under the cable end.

When we upgraded to HD along came Mr Health and safety, he drilled a hole in the wall to tie is ladder to an eyebolt to change the dish and then flatly refused to move is ladder to run the cable behind the gutter.

He ended up doing a botch job that I had to put right after he had gone

Edited by Grandad.Malky

When we first had sky the bloke that fitted it did an great job , he run the cable uo to the gutter then hid it behind the gutter to run to the end of the house and put the dish high up under the cable end.

When we upgraded to HD along came Mr Health and safety, he drilled a hole in the wall to tie is ladder to an eyebolt to change the dish and then flatly refused to move is ladder to run the cable behind the gutter.

He ended up doing a botch job that I had to put right after he had gone

I hope you put up scaffolding ,and didnt use a ladder ,you naughty boy :nono::nono:

:hihi:

Go for life old pal

Just dont except me to help you out when you are a cripple.

Let Dave do that.

You didn`t answer my question .

How do you have your windows cleaned ?

Does your window cleaner bring scaffolding with him ? , seeing as your so `Elf N Safety ` wary.

While we are on the subject how comes I have a car driving licence that lasts indefinitely but my FLT licence only lasts 10 years and there are companies insurance rules that want testing every 3 years

Edited by Grandad.Malky

It is illegal to use a ladder as a platform to work off.

They are only usable as means of access.

if you want to cripple yourself, no insurance company will cover you.

I must have been dreaming then, when Sheffield Window Centre (recommended btw) used sloping supports (ie big ladder) to fit windows to my 2 storey house.