Buying a camera, decisions decisions..

Could anyone offer me any advice on a new camera please? I'm looking for something half decent, am considering an entry-level SLR, but would prefer something slightly more compact if I can find something with decent picture quality & decent optical zoom. it seems though that everything other than SLRs in my price range has abysmal quality on high-contrast edges, presumably because the CCDs on everything non-SLR are so small.

Everything seems to be 10-12 MP minimum now, which is more than adequate for me.

Shortlist at the moment consists of two, for compact cameras the favourite is the Canon Powershot SX20 IS, for entry-level SLR I'm considering the EOS 1000D.

I could probably go up to £400, or £500-£600 if I find the perfect camera, my perfect camera, if anyone knows of such a thing, would be something a bit more compact than an SLR, with a decent size CCD, & good optical zoom. I've seen various mentions of 4/3 cameras which seem to be along those lines, but I don't know enough about photography to make an informed choice. If I go with a compact then manual focus is a must, I've had too long relying on badly implemented auto-focus that never quite works right.

My main concerns are...

If I get an SLR or 4/3 camera (kit rather than body only) they come with a basic normal lens, how much would I be looking at for a decent telephoto lens?

Are there any more compact fixed lens cameras I'm missing with a better CCD size than 1/2.33"?

Do any brands have better image processing than others? Presumably some decent compact cameras would minimise the fuzzy purple edging on high contrast shots.

For your budget, I would go with a bridge/compact camera with a big zoom.

You can pay anywhere from £800-2000 for a decent zoom for an SLR.

Sensor size isn't the only consideration - Google your choices and try to find sample photos.

You can pay anywhere from £800-2000 for a decent zoom for an SLR.

Well that's simplified that then, :hihi: thanks.

I've been looking at various reviews of compact cameras & the sample photos all seem to suffer from the same problem around the edges, though obviously some seem to be better than others.

The Powershot SX20 seems to be one of the nicer options out of the ones I've looked at, though there are that many makes/models that I'm somewhat overwhelmed, I'm starting to see what it's like for beginners wanting to build their first PC.

Are there any particular makes that seem to be consistently better than others for compact/"prosumer" (hate that word) cameras?

Unfortunatley its a trade off having slightly lower IQ with a Bridge Camera. The camera has a fixed 'one lens for everything' built into it. The Sensor will only record what is transmitted through the lens. whether it be CA, distortion, lack of contrast etc.. Its not all negative though as a lot of the above can be controlled via software. Its about knowing the cameras limits.

After some thought I've realised that every compact camera experience I've had has been lacking in some way, & rather than just perpetuating the annoyance I'd be better off stumping for the EOS 1000D with the 18-55mm lens for about £350.

I'm so indecisive though that I'll probably change my mind another twice today. Feel free to amuse yourselves by convincing me I need an SLR, then re-convincing me I want a compact, & repeating until my brain explodes.

For £350 I'd buy an older better SLR like a Canon 20D or 30D and a kit lens. Search eBay. :)

You can get a K10d for that. Slow AF, but compatible with every Pentax lens ever, and built like a tank with weather sealing and everything - and plenty of buttons for accessing features without burrowing through 100 menus.

The ebay idea is very tempting, the eos 1000d I've been looking at is apparently a cut-down 450d, which I can get for cheaper than the new 1000d on ebay. I'm very paranoid about anything second hand though unless I can examine it with a fine-tooth comb, which is kind of incompatible with ebay...

I've been onto a friend who has a Canon with the same lens mounting system, & who says I can borrow his telephoto lens if I need one (he trusts me to replace it if I kill it), so with that the eos 1000d is looking favourite.

Plus ebuyer have it in stock, I've already got an account with them, which is a clincher really. I may have a look around for a second-hand 450d for sale locally before though.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have the Nikon D5000 With 50mm 1:1.4g lens and also Tamron 70-300 lens and the standard 18.55mm its doing all i ask from it with some nice results. I went from the Finepix s9600 which i thought was a good camera and bought one for my daughter to use.

But i love the Nikon and you can get them for a good price

If you are stuck on the eos 1000d, check out Rother Valley Optics, they have the body, 18-55 and 75-300 zoom for £470.

I have a Canon 400d, boxed, little use. It comes with the new version of the 18-55 lens, the IS version, not the standard one. The lens has only been used once. A 2Gb card and a case if you are interested.

:)