New to gardening..please help

Hi.

I have never done much gardening, apart from cutting the grass and trimming the hedges etc. but at the moment I have a desire to grow some seeds!!

I have bought some radish seeds and they have 'come up' so I am really pleased with that. But what I want to ask if I can please is I have now bought some more seeds and I dont know how many of seeds to plant. I know it sounds crazy doesnt it. I have got lavender seeds, Aubrietia seeds, and Forget-Me-Not seeds. I have got the seed trays and compost etc, I even bought one of these plastic greenhouses !!! (I dont have much space indoors for plants)

I am determined to have a go and grow these from seeds but I dont know how many seeds to put in one pot.

The radish seeds I put just 4 in a small pot so I have 4 stalks coming up with leaves on. I am presuming these will be just 1 radish??

Yes I am daft but if anyone can tell me please then I know and I at least stand half a chance of growing them..

Thanks

one seedling should indeed = one radish.

Your seed packets should tell you how many and when/how to plant them, however, Forget-me-nots are usually classed as a biennial, which generally means they live for 2 years. They leaf up in the first year, and flower in the second year. They then set seed and you should then have a lovely succession without you really doing anything.

So for the Forget-me-nots, sow any time now. I'm guessing you want to start them off in a pot, so sow them thinly. When they get their true leaves (not the first two leaves aka seed leaves)...then you transplant them into a nursery bed about a foot apart. Then by Oct/Nov they'll be big enough to move into their flowering positions.

If it were me, I'd sow them in drills (lines) in a diagonal shape straight into the garden. That way you'll be able to tell what are weeds and what are your seeds (weeds don't usually grow in straight lines ;) then thin them out to the planting distances (by pulling out a few to make the right spacing)

Now then, I'd also do the same with the aubretia, but the lavender are a totally different kettle of fish. You see as far as I know, you're supposed to chill the seeds for a few weeks. I'm not sure why, but I have the idea it's something like 40 days. Sometimes the seeds have already been treated, but the packet should tell you. I tend to propagate lavender by cuttings, and they are really slow to get started. I took ten cuttings last summer, and by this summer, only three of the plants reached the size of my fist :( Flowering ok though, next year should be a bit better.

At the moment, if you are desperate to use your little greenhouse, I'd suggest buying a couple of tomato/pepper plants, and pop them in, but make sure you keep the door open all day or the plants will wither up and die at the moment with all this heat.

Next spring, you'll be ready and raring to go though, so I'd use the time now to plan for then :)

Hi - It sounds like you might have picked some quite tricky plants to grow for your first seeds! If you would like some easy ones to try, how about herbs like chives, parsley, and coriander? They are very easy to grow and you can use them when you are cooking? You could try mixed salad leaves too, they are v easy to grow, and within a few weeks you can eat them.

Good luck, have fun :)

hi poppy we have started to grow our own veg plants etc. i would try nasturtiums, they grow into lovley spreading/hanging plants which you can eat the leaves (lovely rocket peppery taste) and also the flowers in salads. they leave some fab seeds to be re used after, we have grown potatoes in old empty compost bags, we also have a wide variety of herbs which are great in our salads we pick. although we have started a bit too late in the year we are planting anything we can and just trying out how they grow despite if they will continue or not but will prepare us for next year.

good luck with it all x