Memories of Rose Hill, Brightside

What used to be called Rose Hill was/is situated just off Jenkin road and between the railway line and Meadow Hall road at Brightside. I went to take a look the other day and found it to be a grassy square surrounded by quite tall trees.

My interest in it is that it was the home address of my mother's family ...that is my grandparents and their five children. I visited as a child in the '30s and have memories of a very different place.....not totally clear memories I admit. I would particularly like some information on the houses on the hill.

Karling.

Is this not the small piece of land at the back of the schulke mayor office's? or formerly the swan pub?

My mum went to brightside school just next to that strip of land in the 50's and has some lovely memories of the Area.

I went there in the 80's too and I seem to remember the teachers refered to the sports field just behind as 'rose hill'

Thanks for that Bethsmummy My mother's family were at the Brightside school too, ....but around the 1st world war time !!.....maybe what I'm looking for is now too far in the past, though I know the houses on Rose Hill were in use during the early 40s...thought there might be someone still around who remembers.

Karling

Guest makapaka
I went there in the 80's too and I seem to remember the teachers refered to the sports field just behind as 'rose hill'

I went to Brightside School in the 80's aswell. I vaguely remember teachers calling it that, was it the place where we had sports days etc?

My grandparents, Frank and Maud Aspinall lived there too, at No. 11 in 1918.

DSCN8028.jpg

.......................................................................................................

DSCN8099.jpg

..........................................................................................................

I've been unable to find any photos.

Thanks cat631 for your contribution and especually for the map. I tried a few maps though the name Rose Hill was not mentioned on any until ,with help from the Central Library I found one that actually showed some numbered housing there....very similar to your map though yours does in fact show more houses.

My granparents,John and Elizabeth Gill lived at No 16 and would certainly have been there in 1918......both died in the 1930s and the house was then taken over by John Gill ,my mother's brother, and his family. I know they lived there in the early '40s and wondered when they pulled these houses down.

Do you happen to know any other names of people there? The only one I recall was the Bates family at N0 61...I think.

Hello Karling. I don't know any more names of people who lived in that terrace. I think the houses were pulled down in the fifties. My Dad once showed me where he lived and that must have been around 1950.

There was a Gill family who lived not very far from Jenkin Road, on Brathy Road, just off Holywell Road, Grimesthorpe. They were there in the fifties and sixties.

Hi Karling .,

If you log on to Sheffield Libraries 'Picture Sheffield' site and look under the D's....choose Dearne St ....and it will bring up a great photo of Dearne st in the early 1900's and you can clearly see some of the houses on ROSE HILL ...across Holywell Rd (or it might still have been known as Burslem St in those days ).

OR... some kind person who knows what they're doing might be able to get the pic on here for you to see:)

Hope this is of interest to you .

hi Spacecat....Thanks for the information...found the pic and when zoomed up is not a bad view over to Rose hill. ...phoned the Sheff. Library and they will print a copy for me when I call in later this week. Do you have an interest in this area?

I notice you are located at Sheffield Lane top ....first 20+ years of my life I lived on Hatfield House lane....Dad walked me over Jenkin to grandparents house when I was kid....am trying to see if I can make some of those hazy memories a little clearer

Thanks for your help....much appreciated.

Hi again Karling ,

So glad you found the pic useful.

Sorry, I was born in Pitsmoor and lived there for over 20 years . I've only lived at Lane Top for the last 5 years but before that I lived and worked in Brightside for a few years and I love looking at the old photos of these areas. If I come across any more info or pics I'll PM you .