Should unemployment benefits be cut?

Do you believe for a moment that they will listen to what the people tell them ?

If Cameron is going to follow in the footstep of Tony Blair with this sham of 'public consultation' his credibility will drop through the floor.

And which credibility is this of which you speak.

He has no mandate from the people to govern, only that conferred on him by Elizabeth Windsor.

He is about much use as a used car salesman, and far less capable.

There is.

So what about the person who applies for job after job after job (and not for pie in the sky either), but gets pipped to the post time after time?

S/he gets nothing because s/he has been unlucky? I've spent years interviewing people in this sort of position, and there are a damned sight more than you'd think.

Don't get me wrong, there are many who swing the lead. There are many who won't lower their sights, but what I do know is this. Most who sign on are genuine, and the vast majority find work within weeks.

The incessant demonisation of those who sign on is frankly unwarranted, especially as few do for very long.

I know someone who worked for about 6 weeks when he was in his 20's and is now in his 40's and hasn't worked since. He is not ill or disabled he just doesn't want to work because he says he is better off not working because if he worked he would have to pay his rent and council tax. I know most claimants do want to work but people like him should not be provided with free money and a house because they don't want to work. When I was made redundant I applied for JSA and I went to sign on in the morning for the first time and they sent me for an interview in the afternoon. I had about 3 hours to find where I was going, get home and change my clothes and get to the interview.

Only after they have formed a Focus Group, a Steering Committee and an additional government department to consider it. :rolleyes:

cut all these, it'll probably save millions a year

In this tough economic climate there's going to have to be be a crackdown on public spending. Apparently Cameron and Cleggy are going to ask the people where the cuts should fall.

Would you vote for unemployment benefits to be cut? It's one of the highest areas of expenditure.

Bare in mind jobs are going to go left, right and centre, so you might be on the receiving end.

Yep cut the lot let the scroungers fend for them selves :rant:

Cutting benefits which are greater than the income of a full time worker on minimum wage is a different thing.

But the highest level JSA isn't higher than that of minimum wage...

Why should a blind man who doesn't work get more than a man who works full time?

How can such a system ever be sustainable.

and why shouldn't they? they have to pay for taxis (which cost more than an actual car) and have to buy special equipment to let them live a life as close to 'normal' as possible.

But at the end of the day, a blind person, claiming.. Income Support, Disability allowance, housing benefit and Council tax actually DOESN'T get more than minimum wage, they get about the same (probably less actually)

go work it out per month, all the figures are there online...