Young teen age girls getting contraceptives without parents' knowledge

Then that shows how little you know.

That doesn't mean that other parents are not aware of the fact that contraception is available to young adults under 16 without parental consent.

BTW.. It's nothing new. We used to get free condoms at 14 from the FP clinic on Mulberry Street way back in 1980.

:hihi: Sounds like it is you who has had a "sheltered life" if you don't know that contraception is available to your daughter's age group without parental consent (it's been on the news often enough).

Been there.

Done that.

Thank you for your invaluable input 'sux. Your comments have been taken on board. ;)

How would you have felt if your daughter had come home and told you she was pregnant? Whilst I agree that under 16s should not be having sex anyway, some are going to have sex whether we want them to or not, and to deny contraception to those youngsters is very likely to increase the underage pregnancy rate, not stop them having sex.

Makes sense.

How would he/she feel if her daughter came home with Aids?

This implant offers no protection against it.

How would he/she feel if her daughter developed hormonal problems due to this treatment being given at such a young age?

This treatment offers no protection from any STD, but neither does it increase the risk of them catching one. So I can't really see if you expect this to support an argument either for or against under 16's having access to contraception.

Is it really your point of view that your daughter shouldn't have been able to get the treatment she did? If so, why, do you think that having the implant is likely to alter her behaviour, or that not having would have stopped her doing something?

Do you not give any credence to the points about helping to reduce period pains?

Last one, have you any evidence that hormonal problems could be caused? If she's gone through puberty then the hormones from the implant are ones her body is already creating for itself.

This treatment offers no protection from any STD, but neither does it increase the risk of them catching one. So I can't really see if you expect this to support an argument either for or against under 16's having access to contraception.

Is it really your point of view that your daughter shouldn't have been able to get the treatment she did? If so, why, do you think that having the implant is likely to alter her behaviour, or that not having would have stopped her doing something?

Do you not give any credence to the points about helping to reduce period pains?

Last one, have you any evidence that hormonal problems could be caused? If she's gone through puberty then the hormones from the implant are ones her body is already creating for itself.

Some interesting questions there. All of which you can answer yourself if you put your mind to it. Do let us know what you come up with.

It's your daughter and your thread, maybe you could have the decency to answer?

For amusement value I will answer though

Aids.

Regarding Aids, you know it's unrelated, but like to muddy the waters with emotive issues.

Is it really your point of view that your daughter shouldn't have been able to get the treatment she did?

Yes that is really your view.

If so, why, do you think that having the implant is likely to alter her behaviour, or that not having would have stopped her doing something?

You think it would stop her having sex.

No you don't.

No you don't.

I've no need to explain to you why your opinions you've allowed me to express for you are wrong, other posters have already done that.

Edited by Cyclone

It's your daughter and your thread, maybe you could have the decency to answer?

For amusement value I will answer though

Aids.

Regarding Aids, you know it's unrelated, but like to muddy the waters with emotive issues.

Is it really your point of view that your daughter shouldn't have been able to get the treatment she did?

Yes that is really your view.

If so, why, do you think that having the implant is likely to alter her behaviour, or that not having would have stopped her doing something?

You think it would stop her having sex.

No you don't.

No you don't.

I've no need to explain to you why your opinions you've allowed me to express for you are wrong, other posters have already done that.

Great post, hope you have got it off your chest. ;)

Have you managed to form an opinion yet? Or maybe I was a little too close for comfort and you don't want to look like you're just copying?

Here, I'll help you

Her story is that all the girls have them to help control their periods.

Do you think your daughter is a liar?

She went to the family planning clinic to have it put in without our consent. She is FOURTEEN!!

And? Do you think she shouldn't be able to?

I am a little upset at the moment to express my true feelings on the matter, but feel I need to warn parents about what is going on.

You're not still too upset to actually post your true feelings surely? It's been two days now!

Edited by Cyclone

Have you managed to form an opinion yet? Or maybe I was a little too close for comfort and you don't want to look like you're just copying?

Here, I'll help you

Do you think your daughter is a liar?

And? Do you think she shouldn't be able to?

You're not still too upset to actually post your true feelings surely? It's been two days now!

Still upset, as you were when the same thing happened to you.

This is part of a PM that was sent to me. I will not disclose the name of the poster. I hope I am not breaking any rules by showing this, it's just that this poster makes some very good points.

"I havn’t posted in your thread about your daughter because I don’t want to get involved in an argument, but I for one are on your side, my daughter will be 14 in about 6 wks time and if she came home with an implant I would go ballistic ! how do they have the right to inflict that on a 14yr old, they have to have parental consent to give immunisations including the new cervical cancer one so why not the implant, its like the pill it works for one person but not another, they should’nt be allowed to just give it to an under age child without parents permission, which brings me to another point all the other posters are saying because she’s started her period she’s not a child anymore but a young adult, total rubbish she is still a child, all these posters made my blood boil ! If its reported in the Star next week that a 14 yr old has been molested by a man the same posters would be screaming that he should have his bits chopped off because she’s only a child."

How would you have felt if your daughter had come home and told you she was pregnant? Whilst I agree that under 16s should not be having sex anyway, some are going to have sex whether we want them to or not, and to deny contraception to those youngsters is very likely to increase the underage pregnancy rate, not stop them having sex.

I hear what you are saying, but surely there is also a chance that by denying contraception to under 16's without parental consent, it may make youngsters think twice about starting a sexual relationship at such a young age.

When my daughter hits puberty I will be very open and frank with her as I have been with my 13yr old son, I will tell her that although I do not agree with underage sex I am not stupid and realise that some kids start having sex at a very young age.

I would much rather she came and talked to me about it than told me she was pregnant.

What I don't understand is If it is illegal to have sex if you are under 16, why is it not illegal for doctors to prescribe contraceptives to under 16's, whether it be with parental consent or not?