Am I the only one but do you feel Weston Park Museum has shrunk too?

I was talking about Weston Park museum to a friend yesterday and how child centred it is now but to me it has shrunk too. I can get round the exhibits in a very short time and there's no upstairs exhibitions (at least not when I go there.) Where did all the Paintings go? Can't all be in the Graves as they don't have room and Millenium seems to have gone for less is more as there are often empty spaces and only about half the Ruskin exhibits are on display so where has all the stuff gone. Is it just going to stay in boxes forever?

I miss the Mappin Art Gallery too. I think its a crime that it disappeared. The graves art gallery on the top of the library is good, although its a tiny lift or a lot of stairs to get there. I think something like a 10th of the cities art is on public display or something even less. I suspect they loan stuff out. The Millenium gallery seems to have strange installation art. There is a good lowry still on display at western park but its squeezed into a poor spot as if there was not enough room space available.

Room for improvement to back up our bid for the city of culture bid ? Certainly there is more displays about Sheffield's early history at Manor Lodge Discovery Centre than Weston Park.

This isn't to say I liked the old museum exhibits the way they were displayed but I miss the gallery and the concerts too. The cafe was better too as home made and much cheaper.

Dizzy Blonde [sure you ain't]

I miss the Mappin too- large airy space.

I was talking about Weston Park museum to a friend yesterday and how child centred it is now but to me it has shrunk too. I can get round the exhibits in a very short time and there's no upstairs exhibitions (at least not when I go there.) Where did all the Paintings go? Can't all be in the Graves as they don't have room and Millenium seems to have gone for less is more as there are often empty spaces and only about half the Ruskin exhibits are on display so where has all the stuff gone. Is it just going to stay in boxes forever?

maybe its psychological cause when you went there last you was only a little child

Very disappointed when I went. I felt they'd gone too far to make it kid friendly and excluded those of us who prefer our museums old fashioned and quiet!

Kow Ball,

that probably comes in to for me but there are tons of stuff not on show. Sheffield Castle and Manor Lodge- Beauchief Abbey[ have I spelt that properly]?

The millenium galleries seem to be much bigger from the outside comapred to what you can actually see inside, most of the ground floor is a cafe, which I think is a vast waste of space (as is the huge cafe in Weston Park)

it's shamefull how the Ruskin collection has been relegated to one small room when it used to have it's own museum.

It's very sad what happened to Weston Park Museum and the Mappin Gallery. I don't know why they changed it as it's almost universally agreed that it's a poorer experience now. Who decided that museums should only appeal to children? The previous Weston Park museum appealed to children and many here will have fond memories of childhood visits, but it also appealed to adults and it was possible to learn a lot from the exhibits.

My own pet hate is the audio-visual displays. When I go to a museum I want peace and quiet to read about the items on display and appreciate them properly.

The Graves isn't doing much better either. Try finding it open since it has very restricted opening hours now and it's only open for four days a week, four hours a day. The back wall has a leaking roof so all the paintings have been removed from those galleries and a visit is a dismal experience compared to previously.

I noticed that when I was a kid, a trip to the local shops seemed miles away, then as I got older they were just around the corner. Now they seem further away than ever.

What I want to know is " WHO KEEPS MOVING THE BLOODY SHOPS"

Age has got a lot to do with it, But I suspect, it has got a lot smaller than it use to be.

Never known it when a child so that isn't why it appears to have shrunk. I just remember it before it was altered and now.