South Yorkshire's greatest Martial Artist?

Who is SY's greatest martial artist to date? My vote goes to Arthur O'Loughlin from Barnsley in the 70's & 80's. British kickboxing champion at lightweight & welterweight, world champion at middleweight. This counts as Sheffield-based by the way, he used to have a club at the Irish centre in Pitsmoor.

Who is SY's greatest martial artist to date? My vote goes to Arthur O'Loughlin from Barnsley in the 70's & 80's. British kickboxing champion at lightweight & welterweight, world champion at middleweight. This counts as Sheffield-based by the way, he used to have a club at the Irish centre in Pitsmoor.

I second Locky!

my vote goes to Sarah Stevenson (doncaster)

2008 Summer Olympic Games: Bronze

2006 Commonwealth Taekwondo Championships: Gold [2]

2005 World Taekwondo Championships: Silver

2005 European Championships: Gold

2004 European Championships: Gold

2004 Summer Olympics Games: 15th

2001 World Taekwondo Championships: Gold

2000 Summer Olympic Games: 4th

1999 European Championships: Gold

Edited by baztkd

Well said Chefkicker! I'm beginning to believe that you do actually know your stuff after all.

Well lets be honest, everyone knows that Arthur O Loughlin was THE man in the old days of Full Contact. He is basically barnsleys version of Rocky Balboa.

For second place I would put any of the below:

I would have said Phil Milner (R.I.P) , if he was here he would be an advocate of MMA. His karate sessions were brutal.

Phil Glover, achieved loads in Kickboxing and Full Contact. Was European kickboxing champion.

Dave Turton , Goshinwkai Ju Jitsu. He started the SDF (Self Defence Federation) . I have done a seminar under Dave about a decade ago. His knowledge and the way he puts it across is awesome.