Who's to blame?

I live next door to a recently vacated council house. On Friday there was a break in to the house and attempts were made to remove the copper water tank. The leak from the tank has damaged my interior walls. The council advised that they cannot be help responsible due to the issue happening via a break in. They also stated that due to this they would not repair the damage to my house. They recommended I claim on my insurance, but why should my premiums increase de to a fault they caused?

However the council have since been back to the property and switched the water supply back on causing another leak and further damage. Obviously they hadn't checked the damage to the water tank!! What makes it worse is that they actually left a tap running as well, so the damage has increased tenfold.

Should the council be held responsible this time as is the ineptitude of their workers that caused the 2nd leakage?

Oh yes!, the first one is due to the initial damage to their property and the second due to their incompetent staff, both claims should go through their insurance, might have to claim off yours first and if they're any good they should get it back off the councils

Oh yes!, the first one is due to the initial damage to their property and the second due to their incompetent staff, both claims should go through their insurance, might have to claim off yours first and if they're any good they should get it back off the councils

Or you could simply take SCC to court?

My ceiling fell in due to a water leak in my old property. I had been to the council and reporting this numerous times, writing letters advising the ceiling was bowing and it was unsafe. They sent their inspector over who declared it was not unsafe, when it fell in all over my bed... the council sent the same guy back out...... his words ' oh shI%' I said yes, i was told it wouldn't come down and it was safe, he said who told you that... i said you did!!!

I had to claim on my insurance for all the damage... council gave me sweet FA.

Good luck getting anything out of them

My ceiling fell in due to a water leak in my old property. I had been to the council and reporting this numerous times, writing letters advising the ceiling was bowing and it was unsafe. They sent their inspector over who declared it was not unsafe, when it fell in all over my bed... the council sent the same guy back out...... his words ' oh shI%' I said yes, i was told it wouldn't come down and it was safe, he said who told you that... i said you did!!!

I had to claim on my insurance for all the damage... council gave me sweet FA.

Good luck getting anything out of them

If it was a council house, shouldn't they have made the repairs? I've been told thats where the difference is with my issue. If it was council property they have to repair it because its not they can just rest on their laurels and pretend it hasn't happened.

If it was a council house, shouldn't they have made the repairs? I've been told thats where the difference is with my issue. If it was council property they have to repair it because its not they can just rest on their laurels and pretend it hasn't happened.

Your issue was caused by their property...their fault surely they should be paying...if it had been a council lorry that ran into your parked car whose fault would that have been?