Yet another staffy attack on a defenceless child in Sheffield!

It's the owners fault, Slightly different but my mate has a Japenese Akita and its friendly as and he's got a kid

Akitas are called "nursery dogs" in Japan. They are gentle and protective of the child, it's exactly the same situation with Akitas as with staffs... there were a few,which were/ are owned and (poorly) trained/ controlled by cretins and numpties, and ended up with an ill-deserved reputation as a result.

If kids and dogs are trained from an early age, in etiquette around each other, and owners were careful, then there would not be anything like the problems there are with bites.

Anybody stupid enough to believe that the breed of any dog is at fault obviously has no understanding of dogs at all and is just making decisions based on headlines.

You haven't read most of this thread have you?

You can't just blame the papers for picking on Staffys because the numerous reports of their attacks on humans are in all forms of the media - on TV, radio, online, magazines, you name it. They can't all be biased.

And as stated earlier the dog referred to in this latest attack wasn't owned by a braindead chav, its owner was a respectable middle-aged woman, yet more evidence which disproves the "blame the owner not the dog" mentality that certain people on this thread keep repeating in the vain hope it might be true.

If they were such a responsible owner they would have kept the dog on a lead?

Yeah exactly, Respectable middle aged women does not automatically mean good dog trainer/keeper.

I actually own two sfaffies and yes, I also have kids, so who would you prefer to discuss this with.. someone who has niether?

because they are looking for a one way argument !!!!!

I have owned lots of dogs, been around dogs which guard premises, but i blame owners also male dogs are unpredictable around kids. when i was a kid used to climb into scrapyards to play with them. never been scared of any dog. Alfa male its your tone and manners the dogs pick up on. BIG BUT do not trust any type of rottwieler.. Never ever seen a female staffy with an attitude. I playfight with most dogs to find thier weakest points. I have now an english bulldog, and he's a lover not a fighter. bulldog spirit will never stop leg pulling even after i hold him down for so long he will try again and again " "(the best breed) like having ten kids..just my thoughts after reading...russ

I have owned lots of dogs, been around dogs which guard premises, but i blame owners also male dogs are unpredictable around kids. when i was a kid used to climb into scrapyards to play with them. never been scared of any dog. Alfa male its your tone and manners the dogs pick up on. BIG BUT do not trust any type of rottwieler.. Never ever seen a female staffy with an attitude. I playfight with most dogs to find thier weakest points. I have now an english bulldog, and he's a lover not a fighter. bulldog spirit will never stop leg pulling even after i hold him down for so long he will try again and again " "(the best breed) like having ten kids..just my thoughts after reading...russ

nothing wrong with rotties

and when you say playfignt until you find there weakest point, that to me says provoking an attack

BIG BUT do not trust any type of rottwieler..

not even our rottie who often gets invited to tea parties by my 4 yr old cousin? we also have a staffy that's been brought up correctly and has never and will never snap at anyone or anything. Dogs aren't evil, the owners bring them up to act evil.

try taking food from a rotti then had a few rottis only good for guarding.. not kids as they get wound up very easy? also you dont play with your dogs then, you make me laf lol i cannot think of anyone who does not play fight with their dogs.. Hmmm?weak spots meaning if you can find how aggressive their nature is depending on which dog..l have done this with all of my dogs not too get them aggresive but to understand them more also to get the energy they have used up and grow closer by trust and love.. show me a wild dog bet i have them playing within a few hrs i dont get kicks from winding dogs up i enjoy the trust i build up with playing and learning their nature as each dog is different...

try taking food from a rotti then had a few rottis only good for guarding.. not kids as they get wound up very easy? also you dont play with your dogs then, you make me laf lol i cannot think of anyone who does not play fight with their dogs.. Hmmm?weak spots meaning if you can find how aggressive their nature is depending on which dog..l have done this with all of my dogs not too get them aggresive but to understand them more also to get the energy they have used up and grow closer by trust and love.. show me a wild dog bet i have them playing within a few hrs i dont get kicks from winding dogs up i enjoy the trust i build up with playing and learning their nature as each dog is different...

well i got my friend a rotty pup a year ago, hes a fantastic massive dog grate with kids, my son often stays at there house and i trust there dog 100percent

Edited by mummysaz21

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Girl-3-bitten-to-the.6182940.jp

Once more a child is subject to a terrifying attack by a savage dog. Yet again it's that same breed, the Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier. Yet again the usual Staffy apologists will spout the same old nonsense about how Staffies are really good with children, how when they attack it's the victim's own fault and that there's no evidence that Staffies are any more violent than any other dog despite the fact that nearly every time we read of a dog attacking a child it's the same old breed!

How many more children must suffer before something is done to ban this evil breed of dog altogether?

Staffie's are not bad dogs but they have terrible owners.

Staffie's need a lot of exercise, company, discipline and mental stimulation, otherwise they become the kind of dog that ends up doing attacks like these.

Staffie's shouldn't be kept in small houses with small garden's let alone the flats some of the poor little sods end up in.

I have in-laws in Ireland who have rehomed staffies and they are as happy as larry. They have a field to run up and down in behind the house, they're walked every day at least twice and are spoilt rotten. They are the most doting little affectionate lovely dogs you could ever meet cos they have the right lifestyle, food and exercise.

I thought the government's idea about dog insurance was stupid but I would really support a dog licensing system.

Before you got a dog you would have to get a visit from an inspector, they'd see how big your home was and how often you would be home, how many children lived in the house and give you a licence which would only permit you to get a suitable dog for your lifestyle.