Anybody have any renting advice for me?

I don't want somewhere yet but when i do my situation is awkward.

I don't have a regular job, so no current or previous employer reference plus no real proof of income. I'm not on benefits, I do have income it's just not a regular job.

I don't have previous landlord references because I've always lived with relatives/friends etc.

I wouldn't pass a credit check because i have outstanding debts that will probably take years to sort out because of ongoing disputes over the amounts owed.

I can pay rent in advance but I'd be concerned about being conned or the landlord not paying the mortgage etc.

I can comfortably pay the rent, I could pay a years rent in advance if I wanted to but obviously I wouldn't really want to trust a complete stranger with that much money with all the scammers about these days, and I really don't want to live in a poor area as I have always lived around the Fulwood area but I imagine my circumstances would put most landlords off me like the plague.

You could suggest a mutually acceptable escrow service and put up a years rent in advance with the condition that one months rent be collected each month so long as you are still in the property.

Ive lived in 3 rented propertys..never been asked for a refrence...allways paid a month in advance along with a equivalent deposit....Pay the rent on the 1st of each month ..got my deposit back at the end of tenancy..never had a problem.

Don't rent through an agency. Sounds to me like your overcomplicating it. I know loads of people who rent privatly, pay a months rent in advance and a deposit and that's that. No hassle.

Ive allways sourced accomadation via post office windows/sheffield star etc...Private arrangment...

The agents will charge you a set up fee,credit check you..poss insp the premesis every few months and the rents will prob be an extra £50 a month more

When ive looked at propertys ive vetted the landlord as much as theyve vetted me.... ask him/her how long has it been rented for..how longs it availible for...do they have more than 1 so its run as a buissness...Better off with a landlord whoes got a few...

Keep away from the ones where it used to be their house..and theyve moved out to live with a new partner and their renting it out.Your "home" can be relying on their relationship working out...

I know a few single professional types that rent out rooms in their own rather nice homes in areas like Fulwood, Ranmoor, Netheredge etc. They all charge about £350+ per month which doesn't include half your share of the bills. You do get a really nice room though, decent size with en suite to yourself and enjoyment of the rest of the house with the actual owner of the property so the place is kept in premo condition. Don't think you can be a smoker or have pets though. They nearly all require £500 bond and 2 months rent up front so you are looking at initial up front cost of £1200. Contracts of 3 month minimum then renewed every 3 months or longer if you want.

I probably am overcomplicating things. I have depression so i get disheartened easily in the face of problems no matter how small they seem to other people. I don't really want to share initially, I'm not very socially interactive. I pretty much spend all my time working and sleeping. I'd probably be ok with a quiet friendly bookworm type but a busy household would scare the hell out of me to be honest.

I probably am overcomplicating things. I have depression so i get disheartened easily in the face of problems no matter how small they seem to other people. I don't really want to share initially, I'm not very socially interactive. I pretty much spend all my time working and sleeping. I'd probably be ok with a quiet friendly bookworm type but a busy household would scare the hell out of me to be honest.

The places I checked out a while ago when I was thinking of sharing were with just the owners only in quiet households in the really nice parts of S10, S17, S7 etc. I understand that you would rather live alone though. Just thought I'd mention it as you spoke about the nicer areas and this method allows that without paying out £800+ per month.

Good luck with it, hope you find somewhere.

The places I checked out a while ago when I was thinking of sharing were with just the owners only in quiet households in the really nice parts of S10, S17, S7 etc. I understand that you would rather live alone though. Just thought I'd mention it as you spoke about the nicer areas and this method allows that without paying out £800+ per month.

Good luck with it, hope you find somewhere.

yeah thanks. i had around £500 in mind though not really sure cos i dont want to move til around july/august so haven't thought it through completely yet.

If your fed up might be worth giving sharing somewhere a 3 month trial.... Nothing more soul destroying than work,sleep,and a empty house...Sharing could bring some good times with it along with someone to go to pub with etc..not nessasarly 5 am every weekend..but game of pool and the quiz on a thursday if that suits you more...

yeah i think i agree but i thought i'd like to get somewhere on my own first and then find someone to share with after, someone fairly quiet and private who i think i'd get on with.

You could suggest a mutually acceptable escrow service and put up a years rent in advance with the condition that one months rent be collected each month so long as you are still in the property.

Whoa - be really careful here.

Escrow is great advice, but there are a significant number of current scams operating trying (and unfortunately often succeeding) in getting people to pay deposits to fake escrow services, and losing hundreds or thousands of pounds !!

Since 1 November 2009, with the introduction in the UK of the Payment Services Regulations, escrow services finally come under the auspices of the FSA and HMRC.

You will find genuine escrow companies at the FSA online register at www dot fsa.gov.uk/register/psdFirmSearchForm.do (try searching there for 'escrow' as an example) and/or at customs.hmrc.gov.uk/msbregister/checkTerms.do (try searching there for 'tru' in the name box and 'NW11' in the postcode box for one such genuine example).

These new online escrow services may offer exactly the service you are looking for, and cost only £3 or so all-in to use.

Beware, there are many, many fraudulent escrow services which look real - even quoting UK addresses, phone numbers and fake FSA & HMRC registration numbers. They look extremely professional, and any money posted to them (or goods sent relying on them) will be lost forever. So only ever work with a firm on the FSA register and/or the HMRC register, which will be safe.