Opinions welcomed

So I have now been working as a photographer full-time for about two years having taught myself from scratch. I'd like to think my work has progressed and I am now developing my own style.

I would however be interested in people's feedback regarding my work.

Wedding Portfolio

Please don't bother suggesting that I change the fact that I only have one package etc as what I have works very well for me. I'm more interested in how people perceive my work and what it says to them.

Thanks

:)

You've got some very nice shots, particularly the ones shot in natural light. I found the direct fill flash in a couple of the photos a bit unflattering, but those were thankfully fairly few and far between. It's good that you're showcasing a variety of wedding book layouts as I found some were a bit cheesy, but that's completely a matter of personal taste.

If you're able to work full time as a wedding photographer, then you're obviously doing something right.

I see there is a lot of water in your shots, I am assuming that its not Ladybower.

Were the weddings shot abroad or were some shot in England.

I like the crispness of your imagery. You should go far.

I love the black and white ones, the back of the dress ones and the ones of the flowers. Mine is not a very critical comment but I do like them

I think these are absolutely fantastic. I've recently taken up photography as a hobby, and I really hope I can learn to take photo's like this.

i'd be incredibly happy if my wedding album looked like this!

Well done you :)

lavery - out of interest which did you find cheesy? I only ask as there is a variety of work there some being from shortly after I started. I'm still getting to grips with the flash side of things to be honest.

shirleyf - One was shot in England the rest are all in Australia which I now call home. I'm hoping to do maybe one wedding a year in Europe when I visit my family back in Sheff.

laura16 - Thanks :)

astronaut77 - You never know what you could be doing if you practice. I only really started taking pictures about 5 years ago. It has just gone on from there.

Hi Livestrong

I've just had a look at your portfolio and the comments i would make are:

I really like the full double page pictures and the black and white photos of the jewelry, shoes etc, also the low light picture at the end of the platform with field in the background is nicely composed and i like the light/shadows from the couple around the big tree.

I am not so keen on the wedding dress/bride and burnt out window pictures, not sure if i would showcase that as you say some work needed on fill in flash (which from personal experience i know it is tricky). i didnt like the groom with the white tie and black shirt page, i always think a picture should tell a story and these werent sold to me, i think you have enough in your portfolio to cut these out. A few of the pictures i found were too formal or cheesy as someone mentioned above, they werent natural more staged, i would try and go for the reportage style with these and ask the bride and groom to have a kiss, whisper things into each others ears etc, as this is away from the hussle and bustle of the big day and other guests, so it may be the first time they get some alone time and its always good to capture that. Thats only my personal opinion though, some good shots though, i would have liked to have seen more fun pictures, like with the old cars have the groom jumping off one of them, or the bride and groom hanging out of each door etc, use the props you have, not a critisism just an observation and that may be just my style.

Good work though, always strive for improvement, thats my motto ;-)

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the comments. I must have dropped the black shirt and white pages in by mistake as they weren't meant to be in there (D'oh).

I take the point on board about some of the shots being more staged but at the same time with some of the clients that is what they want. To be perfectly honest I am most at home with using the landscapes along with the people which is more in keeping with what I like doing. I never actually intended doing wedding photography and kind of fell into it. Mind you I could say the same about press work.

Anyway I'm still learning (as I will always be) but I'm getting there. In my first full wedding season I had 26 weddings so I must be doing a few things right. All good fun though and being at weddings every week is great.

On the subject of fill in flash this site is pretty good. I'm getting there on that front slowly but surely.

Thanks for the feedback

Pete

Hi Pete

As i said above it is only my opinion, i agree with you in terms of taking pictures that the clients want, but for your own portfolio, i would like to see some fun pictures in there with the props you have on offer, as this would showcase your diversity and hopefully get you some more weddings for people who prefer that style. It is only a slight criticism as i think it will help you.

Thanks for the site, although i am a Canon user, and he only briefly touched on the dark side :) however some of the other articles on there are a useful read.

Congratulations on getting 26 weddings booked this season, you will be busy!

I also agree with Lavery its a nice concept to showcase the different style of wedding book layouts you have on offer.

Daryl