Handsworth hall

I used to deliver news papers to handsworth hall in 1960/61 it was down a long winding drive it was demolished to build marsdens industrial park on the end of finchwell rd and start of the pit lane it ran between pit lane and the recreation ground

Handsworth Hall was built in 1577 as a retreat house by George Talbot the 6th earl of Shrewsbury. The hall was turned into 2 farms and was demolished in 1969. The Finchwell estate stands on the site.

Another triumph for the City Fathers.

Does any one have photos of Myrtle Bank Farm or any other historical information regarding the farm?

Do you mean Ballifield Hall or Bramley Hall ?

Look on sheffieldhistory.co.uk A very good site for Sheffield History.

Hi Silly and everyone, click on http://www.picturesheffield.com and type in Bramley Hall. There is a photo of the house which is or was on Bramley Hall Road Handsworth and is described as once the Manor House of Handsworth. Anyone know if it had equal status to Handsworth Hall or any other info?

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

does anyone know anything about handsworth hall ?

If this is the hall behind Handsworth Church we used to attend a youth club back in 1963

Hi all, If anyone has any photographs of Handsworth Hall or know of anyone who could help, I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks.:)

all of the information provided above about handsworth hall is correct. It stood on finchwell road and was demolished in 1969. The actual hall became one of the farmhouses and was farmed by various families including the dodsons (after whom a handsworth road is named) and the mottrams. My grandmother was dorothy mottram and was born at the hall in 1914. Her father, george mottram was farming there at the time. George's brother farmed myrtle bank farm, also in handsworth. George's son tom was the last farmer there. The farm had a large yard, a dairy, stables and an old fashioned gypsy caravan that was rented out as accommodation. I have lots of photographs of the hall and grounds if anyone is interested.
hi diddy you still on here would like to see some photos of handsworth hall farm as i was born opposite it lived here all my life

Apologies for being slightly off-topic, but would any of you handsworth people know a family with the surname of Gyte. I am looking for Angela, the daughter.They lived on St Josephs Road in the Sixties, and moved there from Newhall Road, Attercliffe. I was a childhood friend and would love to know how she is now. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Hi I'm interested in Myrtle Bank Farm - do you still have the images you mentioned? Thanks

All of the information provided above about Handsworth Hall is correct. It stood on Finchwell Road and was demolished in 1969. The actual hall became one of the farmhouses and was farmed by various families including the Dodsons (after whom a Handsworth road is named) and the Mottrams. My grandmother was Dorothy Mottram and was born at the Hall in 1914. Her father, George Mottram was farming there at the time. George's brother farmed Myrtle Bank farm, also in Handsworth. George's son Tom was the last farmer there. The farm had a large yard, a dairy, stables and an old fashioned gypsy caravan that was rented out as accommodation. I have lots of photographs of the hall and grounds if anyone is interested.