The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

Well me and my dog do despair of the Sheffield gay scene at the moment _ I dont think its worth going out early in the week anymore - everywhere is really dead and I think all the pubs are struggling - Affinity, Dempeys, Lions doesnt even open! Brown Bear, Moorfoot Tavern :-( and I think things are getting worse as this big Depression plays out ..... I dont think any new gay bar will be opening in a hurry ... ah those were the days thinking back to the halcyon days of Fuel and Matilda and several more in 2007, when Lions Lair used to actually be open in the day time and Dempseys used to have Karaoke on Wed nights packing em in .... time to take the dog for a walk again .. night all :-(

Dempseys still has karaoke on a weds

it has for about ten years!

£2.50 still isn't cheap

I pay that for a pint in my favorite gay pub in London!

and the courtyard pubs in leeds - its a £1 a pint during the day and they have magners on draught

On canal street is a busy bar that does £6 bottles of NICE wine all day and night.

Dempseys still has karaoke on a weds

it has for about ten years!

£2.50 still isn't cheap

and the courtyard pubs in leeds - its a £1 a pint during the day and they have magners on draught

On canal street is a busy bar that does £6 bottles of NICE wine all day and night.

no pub is cheap gay or straight. three pound a pint is not far off in fact some pubs have reached that price now it might sound crazy this but way drink prices keep going up it will so reach to fiver a pint! i dont go out anymore its just to dear now glad i went out when we had attercliffe and the cossack.

Well me and my dog do despair of the Sheffield gay scene at the moment _ I dont think its worth going out early in the week anymore - everywhere is really dead and I think all the pubs are struggling - Affinity, Dempeys, Lions doesnt even open! Brown Bear, Moorfoot Tavern :-( and I think things are getting worse as this big Depression plays out ..... I dont think any new gay bar will be opening in a hurry ... ah those were the days thinking back to the halcyon days of Fuel and Matilda and several more in 2007, when Lions Lair used to actually be open in the day time and Dempseys used to have Karaoke on Wed nights packing em in .... time to take the dog for a walk again .. night all :-(

If anyone would like photographic evidence of Roger and 'his dog' at Dempseys 6 nights a week, please apply via PM.

Thanks

;)

Most people go out to wetherspoons, or yates, or the brown bear, or drink a couple of bottles of wine at home before going to dempseys, or affinity, or Lions. If Affinity and Lions had a drinks offer (maybe from lunchtime to ten PM) that could compete, those people would be spending their money in there, the places would be more busy, and if they were more busy, more people would want to be there.

But even when it was open during the day... didn't see many people in there, if at all. Its an afterparty venue, not a preparty venue. Same as FWD, same as Fez.

btw: sam smiths are cheap because they brew their own beer - maybe lions could do that, they have a great venue, and they could attract the real ale crowd, plus if they stocked a good variety of nice wines, that could also pull in a few people who wouldn't normally go out on the 'scene' as it is.

Ah, didn't know that. Problem is, that requires having more licenses, more work to be done - for relatively little benefit. They've got enough lager/ale on tap as it is, at least for the sake of logistics, and the size of the bar.

if corp and leadmill were selling illegal alcohol I am sure that it would be all over the news.

Sorry, I meant that its of questionable quality. Ie - the crap that gets you hungover the next day, and is brought for £3 a bottle from a supplier, rather than relatively decent stuff that costs around £10-£14 a bottle (Smirnoff, Eristoff for example)

£2.50 still isn't cheap

On canal street is a busy bar that does £6 bottles of NICE wine all day and night

Dunno where you've been drinking in clubs/bars, but most draught lager/ale is around the £3.00-£3.60 mark. (Including wetherspoons...)

Don't know how they're doing that in Leeds, as it'll earning them hardly anything per pint/keg sold, so they'll have to be making profit elsewhere. I'm assuming its something like Fosters they're doing that with? And as a regular visitor to Leeds, its more expensive than here, likewise with Manchester... and most bars won't be doing anything that cheap, although theres a few exceptions like the Voodoo Lounge (Student bar) which do. Basically, if you're an independent, not a chance of going that cheap. If you're a chain, you can do it (to an extent.)

Wines a difficult one. If you're not a wine drinker, or you're part of a larger chain that are only concerned with how much it costs per unit.. Can't do much. I can't think of many bars that'll do it that cheap though, as most glasses of house wine are £3.50ish.

Essentially, these are businesses. They're there to make money. They're struggling enough as it is. They aren't there to give out stupidly cheap drinks. One as it doesn't earn them a lot for the hours they put in, and two it attracts a certain type of crowd.

Edited by Bobs123

yes but if you sell 10 pints at a £1 profit and 30 pints at a 50p profit which earns you the most money?

(or sell 0 pints at zero profit)

and you can't get past the fact that people don't go in, because its empty,

Edited by danmas86

yes but if you sell 10 pints at a £1 profit and 30 pints at a 50p profit which earns you the most money?

(or sell 0 pints at zero profit)

and you can't get past the fact that people don't go in, because its empty,

People will buy pints at £3-3.50 a go, as thats the market rate. You can do it with bottles (like carlsberg) to an extent, but not kegs. Mainly as they only last 30 days, and you need to make the money back to be able to buy it again. Bit hard to do that if you were charging a quid for each pint of Amstel.... you'd be making a big loss. Simple as that.

I'm assuming you're referring to Lions... that might be because its at the end of town you end up at after going down west st/division st, especially on weekends.

Its not about the cheapest drinks.. its about a good atmosphere. If its at the market rate, isn't that good enough? Carver St proves that.