Anyone Tried/Or Would Like to Try Swimhiking?

I was watching Countryfile a good while ago and they did a piece on what is known as Swimhiking. For those that are not in the know, Swimhiking (as the name suggests), is combining a swim with a hike. More details here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/aug/05/healthandwellbeing.fitness

Anyhow, the adventurer within is crying out, and I am seeking new ways of fulfilling my the void in my so-called normal life. As much as like a good hike, I am still left wanting more when I hang up the boots on a Sunday evening, so I am looking further afield to combine the things that I love ever so much.

This leads me on to question whether anyhow has actually done this or even contemplated doing it? Whether you have or not, your opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

AO.

never tried it but it sounds great. I have often thoght about getting into wild swimming. I looked at the website and those bags its on about sound good - saw some in Thailand and wish I'd got one now.

I saw that on Countryfile too. Not a very confident swimmer so it doesn't appeal to me :)

It really appeals to me that you can expand your area of exploration. Saying that, and a point well made Lorri, swimming out in open water, regardless of confidence levels, should never be done alone.

The only issue I have seen with this idea is that there are few places around here that are accessible.

Edited by Agent Orange

Yes, no natural lakes just reservoirs where you're not allowed to swim.

Having searched, it appears all the closest places are Northumbria or the Lakes.

I've been swimming whilst on a hike but not as part of a route, just fancied a dip on a hot day and very refreshing it was too! Not sure if that counts though.

There is a possibility of something a bit closer to home, depending on how adventurous you're feeling. Last summer I was talking to a Peak District ranger and he tipped me off about a scramble route up Bleaklow following Torside Clough. Apparently there's nothing particularly difficult about the route, all you do is follow the stream (rather than the Pennine way on the ridge above!!) until you get to the top but there are parts where the stream goes into a gully and you have to swim. He recommended a pair of old trainers and a waterproof rucksack for some dry cloths and away you go.

I never had the chance to try it out last summer, but when the weather warms up I was fully intending to nip away from work early one day and go for an explore. I'll let you know how it goes whenever I get round to it.

I've been swimming whilst on a hike but not as part of a route, just fancied a dip on a hot day and very refreshing it was too! Not sure if that counts though.

There is a possibility of something a bit closer to home, depending on how adventurous you're feeling. Last summer I was talking to a Peak District ranger and he tipped me off about a scramble route up Bleaklow following Torside Clough. Apparently there's nothing particularly difficult about the route, all you do is follow the stream (rather than the Pennine way on the ridge above!!) until you get to the top but there are parts where the stream goes into a gully and you have to swim. He recommended a pair of old trainers and a waterproof rucksack for some dry cloths and away you go.

I never had the chance to try it out last summer, but when the weather warms up I was fully intending to nip away from work early one day and go for an explore. I'll let you know how it goes whenever I get round to it.

Now we are talking. You are right, it would have to be a spring/summer pursuit though. Keep me posted... this is one thing I want to add to my activity CV before the summer is out.

It looks like we shall be doing a spot of this in the next few months. We are off up to the lake district to try this out. We will be camping up there so if anyone is interested please let me know.