Q2: accident in your car due to the weather

I was also wondering how many of you have damaged your car, or your car and other property that you have skidded into caused by the icy conditions.

what damage has occurred?

will insurance cover the cost or have you to pay out of your own pocket?

I think this threads going to be a bit sexist :)

No damage here!

I almost skidded into a parked car on Sunday, but somehow stopped literally a couple of millimetres from it. The road (Jenkin Rd) was very slippy. I managed to get up the hill, but an ambulance was stuck at the bottom of the hill blocking the road off and I couldn't see it until I came over the brow of the hill. I then braked slightly and started to slide.

I'm glad I have a driveway, I'd hate to park my car at the side of the road and risk someone sliding into it.

Edited by EmilyM

I think this threads going to be a bit sexist :)

No damage here!

Only if you make it so, some people are mature enough not to.....

Ha ha funny that its a woman thats the first one to report that they didnt have proper control of their vehicle though isnt it? :hihi:

Ha ha funny that its a woman thats the first one to report that they didnt have proper control of their vehicle though isnt it? :hihi:

Maybe they're the only ones "man enough" to admit it...:roll:

i only asked, as from our window, iv seen so many cars sliding out of control. ive also seen them trying to get out of the nursaring home carpark and into the new fencing. one car driver got out and removed his front bumper that had partly come off got back in and drove away. 3-4 other people have run into the fence and not one of them has checked the damage :hihi:

ive been very lucky, no near misses or acual hits this year. if ive not had to use the car, its stayed put.

i wondered though would insurance companies pay out?

Oh grow up.

I had control of my car until I saw that the road was obstructed by a seemingly abandoned ambulance. The road was very slippy. It took 3 men pushing the ambulance to shift it.

I am a fairly new driver, since March 2008, and I am inexperienced compared to some other drivers. The fact that I am female doesn't come into it.

If I had an androgenous username you wouldn't have made that commment.

wouldnt worry, im a lady driver, and i think im a bloody good driver too. i dont believe the garbage about lady drivers at all.

ive had 3 different blokes run into me before, all their fault too. MEN:rolleyes:

I think you have already proved my point anyway, "Right"!

None here (touching acres of wood), but seen plenty which, I suppose, is par for course given the conditions, and just the same as most other drivers.

• a 2009 C4 Picasso (brand new shape/model) with severe front damage at Ulley dam yesterday morning.
  • a small 2007 Citroën van in the ditch (badly) just before Ulley this morning, appears to have fishtailed out-of-control after the S-bends (after the M18 bridge).
  • a couple of cars I saw slide down the road of my estate the past week, and into the roundabout at the end (severe gradient, not gritted all week except by us/neighbours). One with probably quite severe axle/suspension damage, the other got off lighter with a damaged wheel.
  • my father-in-law's Astra estate, slight damage at nearside front end (headlight bulb change, headlamp to be realigned, some minor metalwork) by the neighbour's kid overcooking his stopping on ice.
  • that Fiat uno behind me yesterday morning after Ulley, skidded into the roadside snow when the driver braked to increase distance with my car. Looked like some light damage to axle (driver stopped at bottom of hill, never caught up at the T-junction for a good 5-6 mins), but hopefully not.

I guess it's probably the same for thousands of local motorists who have slipped, resulting in small prangs, and the thousands more who saw them. Regardless of gender.

Insurance should (read them contracts ;) and read'em well) pay out for those who are fully-comp, but given how nationwide the problem has been (and therefore the expectedly much higher number/amount of claims compared to this time last year), I'd expect insurers to try every trick in the book to try and get out of paying.

Edited by L00b