Graduates in 3 or 4 years

He clearly is an engiineer, as ge has been working at in the profession for the last few decades

It's a moot point. He may have skills that allow him to do at least part of an engineer's job, quite possibly better than many qualified folk, but in many countries he'd face a misrepresentation charge.

No-one's questioning his skills or knowledge (apart from in his mind) but would you allow someone to perform an operation on you who had been practising as an unqualified doctor for many years?

He's no more an engineer than someone who's built buildings for years is an architect. Engineer and architect are legal terms, like doctor, they are regulated by controlling bodies and you are only entitled to use the term if you are a member of that body.

He's no more an engineer than someone who's built buildings for years is an architect. Engineer and architect are legal terms, like doctor, they are regulated by controlling bodies and you are only entitled to use the term if you are a member of that body.

Yes but no-one cares in the UK. Sadly.

I guess it isn't legally enforceable here.

That's why we have 'heating engineers' - men who fix boilers, British Gas 'engineers' - men who fix pipework, 'Sky and BT' engineers etc.

I think that the law still exists, it's just never enforced.

Hell, I call myself a software engineer sometimes, there is even a governing body (although that wouldn't entitle me to use engineer legally) of which I'm not a member as nobody in the industry cares about it.

I think that the law still exists, it's just never enforced.

Hell, I call myself a software engineer sometimes, there is even a governing body (although that wouldn't entitle me to use engineer legally) of which I'm not a member as nobody in the industry cares about it.

I've had contracts from employers wrongly using the term 'engineer' (I used to be in IT myself)

To me a worhtwhile degree is in Engineering, Physics, Chemestry and Bioligy.

Media Studies etc are worth nothing to society.

I despise degree snobbery, and it is normally used against media studies. I studied media at college, and some of the people i studied with now work for Sky, The History Channel and one made it to the BBC before starting a career in advertising (she works for Greenwich Council now). Nothing in life is useless, only ignorance.

I was accepted into Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool universities two years ago after I finished my A Levels, however I chose to go straight into work.

I got on an under graduate scheme at HSBC who basically said "why go to university and study what we were doing two to three years ago" and in some respects that's true (more so in IT which is where I'm working).

3 years working as a Technical Analyst (promoted twice now) at HSBC will probably look better than a degree in Business and Economics for a few reasons:

- Valuable work experience

- Progress during the time spent at HSBC

- HSBC being a good company to have on my CV

I say this because people on this thread are making wild assumpsions that generalises people who do, and do not go to university.

I think there's a few facts:

1. For whatever reason, degrees are not carry the same weight as they did a few decades ago

2. More emphasis is now put on the grade of the degree, and the university that rewarded it

3. More courses have been added that, looking at the big picture, disadvantage those who study them in the long run (pretty much a case of how much the degree will add to their average salary compared to cost of attaining it)

4. A lot more people are completing Master degrees due to job uncertainty.

Please don't generalise people though, most without a degree can more than hold their own in a conversation, and not all people with a degree are masterminds.

I despise degree snobbery, and it is normally used against media studies. I studied media at college, and some of the people i studied with now work for Sky, The History Channel and one made it to the BBC before starting a career in advertising (she works for Greenwich Council now). Nothing in life is useless, only ignorance.

That doesn't change the fact that media studies is a very easy degree to get. All you have to do is watch a few episodes of Big Brother and write an essay about Jordan and you get a degree certificate! This means that if anything a person with a media studies degree is less intelligent than a person without one as all they've done is watched telly for 3 years!

That doesn't change the fact that media studies is a very easy degree to get. All you have to do is watch a few episodes of Big Brother and write an essay about Jordan and you get a degree certificate! This means that if anything a person with a media studies degree is less intelligent than a person without one as all they've done is watched telly for 3 years!

Great. Here comes the voice of common sense :loopy:

The fact that you think that any degree course is like that is pretty consistant with your loopy ideas on most things.

Great. Here comes the voice of common sense :loopy:

The fact that you think that any degree course is like that is pretty consistant with your loopy ideas on most things.

Not any, just toytown degrees like media studies.

Degrees is medicine and law for example are perfectly valid and necessary, but I'd say about 90% of degrees these days are worthless.

Not any, just toytown degrees like media studies.

Degrees is medicine and law for example are perfectly valid and necessary, but I'd say about 90% of degrees these days are worthless.

That's because you haven't got a clue and are just regurgitating urban myth crap :)

It always seems to be the uneducated who shout loudest about the validity of education. I wonder why....

That's because you haven't got a clue and are just regurgitating urban myth crap :)

It always seems to be the uneducated who shout loudest about the validity of education. I wonder why....

I'm sorry. Which polytechnic did you get your media studies degree at? :hihi: