Drivers flouting mobile phone ban.

More enforcement, anyway. Given the plethora of cameras on the roads, I would have thought that we could capture images of drivers and prosecute the ones who had mobile phones stuck to their ears... or maybe not. That sort of technology isn't my strong suit.

Toughy isn't it?

I do think though, that I'd be less likely to use mine in the car if I knew it would be crushed for sure if I got spotted.

Not that I do anyway.

- What is the fatality rate and increase in crashes that result from people using their phones. I'm not talking about a reduction in reaction speed (everyone's differs anyway), but I mean the actual bread and butter outcome.

Impossible to tell, sadly. If someone's writing out text messages and crashes, all they have to do is put the phone down and nobody can ever prove they were using it at the time, because that activity isn't registered on the network.

Remember Lord Whatsisface? (Obviously I don't, very well...:hihi:) The chap who was prosecuted after killing someone on the M1. He'd sent text messages six times during the ten minutes before he hit the poor guy, but it could not be proven that he was using his phone at the actual time of impact, so he was found not guilty on that count. They could only convict him for using the phone, not for causing death by dangerous driving.

It's much worse than drink driving:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1885775.stm

In the tests at 70 miles per hour, the braking distance was 102ft (31m), which increased to 115ft (35m) with alcohol; 128ft (39m) with a hands-free phone and 148ft (45m) with a hand-held mobile.

That's pretty interesting stuff.

What I'd like to know though is the real impact, the increase in crashes, deaths, injuries etc.

Four deaths attributed to distracted drivers on mobiles last year. But, as has been noted, it could be a lot worse. There is no way of knowing.

See above. Increasing the severity of the punishment already has been proven not to work. That's why this report has just come out.

For once I do not agree with you.

Instant ban for people who use mobile phones while driving and have their car towed away. Hefty fine and the threat of their car being crushed. Or is speaking on the phone less important than paying road tax? I have seen the adverts ;)

Reducing the punishment for a crime does not make the crime go away.

Dragon of Ana

Reducing the punishment for a crime does not make the crime go away.

Nor it does; but as the report on which this thread is founded has already shown, increasing the punishment doesn't do that either.

Four deaths attributed to distracted drivers on mobiles last year. But, as has been noted, it could be a lot worse. There is no way of knowing.

OK, does anyone know how much it has cost to introduce and enforce the mobile phone ban and any revenues that it has brought in.

I think it would be quite interesting to see:

(Costs - Revenues) / # of Fatalities

Then we could do this for other things such as drink driving, violent crime etc and see if it's an efficient use of police resources trying to enforce it.

Nor it does; but as the report on which this thread is founded has already shown, increasing the punishment doesn't do that either.

Well lets take an extreme and say that if you are caught using your mobile while driving you will serve a term of life in prison - I reckon the use of mobiles whilst driving would drop considerably.

What about a "different" punishment instead of an increase to an existing one?

Like the crusher? Just for being caught on the phone whilst driving.

Am I the only one thinking that 4 people dying from people using mobile phones whilst driving should mean it should be low priority and the current punishments are already adequate?

Especially considering those 4 deaths were probably punished by 'death by dangerous driving or without due care and attention'.

Especially considering those 4 deaths were probably punished by 'death by dangerous driving or without due care and attention'.

That's a point I've seen made before; there was no need for separate legislation to outlaw driving while using a phone, since you could prosecute for driving without due care and attention, an offence already on the books.