Do you remember Sheffield groups of yester year?

I never knew that Steve was in the Avengers - he was married to my friend from 1965

I never knew that Steve was in the Avengers - he was married to my friend from 1965

Another photo coming up soon with Steve on it.

This is a very old picture of me with a Futurama III:

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/hofnerfs/futurama/fut.html

Scroll down to picture of Mike Fisher aka Zeke.

Nice photo Mike!! I sold one of those on Ebay a couple of years ago. Someone had replaced the neck with one of those shovel-headstocked Vox necks, it had been repainted a horrible navy blue, the scratchplate was smashed with bits missing, missing tremolo arm and modern replacement knobs. It was a train wreck of a guitar but I still got £350 for it from a collector in Brussels! must be the George Harrison connection.

I suppose a lot of guitarist from the sixties let their gear go for peanuts, I did.

Sold my '61 strat for a pittance and my exwife was always trying to get me to sell stuff for food, food I ask you.

Fortunately she left me and I now have a more understanding wife who is also a musician and singer so guitars come and stay these days.

My Missus always says "What do you need yet another guitar for? they all sound the same to me" philistine!!

I suppose a lot of guitarist from the sixties let their gear go for peanuts, I did.

Sold my '61 strat for a pittance and my exwife was always trying to get me to sell stuff for food, food I ask you.

Fortunately she left me and I now have a more understanding wife who is also a musician and singer so guitars come and stay these days.

Picked this 1965 Fender Jazz up in 66; sold it in 2005 for £3500

y0zmg.jpg

hi busy p

i remember your father, played at woodhouse central, i used to play in same group as your brother, square circles, he was the first drummer in sheffield to use two bass drums, and boy could he play them. still have fond memories of fred, alway asking for a sub before we got paid for gig.

Hi Billy D.

Thankyou for your reply to my post regarding my brother Freddie. Square Circles, I dont remember that, was it before he was with The Lizards of after, what year would it have been. What did you play in the group, did you ever come to our house? Have you any photograps with Freddie in the group?. Yes I knew that Freddie played two bass drums but didnt know he was the 1st in Sheffield to do that, thats fantastic to hear thanks for that. Nice to know that you also knew my father. P

Hi Billy D.

Thankyou for your reply to my post regarding my brother Freddie. Square Circles, I dont remember that, was it before he was with The Lizards of after, what year would it have been. What did you play in the group, did you ever come to our house? Have you any photograps with Freddie in the group?. Yes I knew that Freddie played two bass drums but didnt know he was the 1st in Sheffield to do that, thats fantastic to hear thanks for that. Nice to know that you also knew my father. P

Hi again

Freddie, came over to Square Circles with Barry and Jerry from Lizards, as far as i can remember , we swapped singers,drummer and bass player because other members of Lizards and Square Circles wanted to go to Germany, i played rhythm guitar, can't remember exact year prob around 66, remember watching Sheff Wed play in cup final at a pub on way to a gig in Scunthorpe.

Sorry i do not have any photographs, can't recollect going to Fred's house

I'm still trying to track down John Broddle, Mick Steer and Terry Vigg, members of The TribunesBand. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys and gals

Hi,Re: Tommy Eyre and Joe Cocker.He must have joined Joe well after Bob and I left in April 1965. He could have replaced Nash but obviously we were playing for The Cherokees with Ian Gray (Robinson).Tommy was never an Avenger.

Are you by any chance Jack Bower's son, i.e. a steel fabrications contractor? I know Steve McKenna's dad had a structural steel shop in Meadowhall/Wincobank area. I was in that business myself so I knew a lot of people who worked for both yours and Steve's dad's company. Steve was in my class at school and once got me up with you guys in Brinsworth, doing my Elvis/Eddie Cochran routine, Joe/Vance looked ticked off as, my friends in the crowd wanted me to keep it going, lol

Edited by TORONTONY