Barriers at Sheffield Station - Application Rejected (Nov 2009)

Please excuse me if this has already been discussed on another thread, but when there are human barriers operating on the bridge are there also human barriers at each of the entrances at the front of the station?

Given you know so much about the station you don't half miss a lot out... can't imagine why...

Prevent access to 2 x cash machines maybe yes, other 2 unaffected.

BK door on platform 1 would be closed/become a fire exit only.

Sheffield Tap not even open yet but would not allow through access either, same as BK.

well said m8 plain talker talks outta her ass.She obviously only sees what she wants to see on the plans and twists and spins them to her own ends worthy of a crooked MP.

This is a hollow victory really- a battle may be won but not the war.EMT won't let it rest here there's a recession going on and every bit of revenue counts without a doubt they'll appeal and good luck to them.

FACT:-

It was thrown out on listed building consent- things that can be changed and re submitted.

FACT

This ruling did not state that the bridge was a public right of way access.

FACT

EMT can still post human barriers and either end of the bridge and stop people accessing without a ticket.

FACT

EMT will have used revenue projections from barriers in their buisness projections and will now be able to sue either the goverment or the council (hopefully Scriven) for loss of revenue)

FACT

Large poster at the supertram end of bridge and several at the main enterance clearly stating ticket needed before travel

Plain talker also states about the effect this would have on blind people. BS!! As a visually impaired person myself I would have NO problems Numerous blind people use london underground and their barriers daily (an easy fact checkable with both LUT and RNIB) so another on of her falsehoods/spins.EMT have stated numerous times the barriers will be staffed so assitance will be available to the disabled and the blind/elderly.

Always amazes me how disabled people want equality and to be treated no different then as soon as they involved in things like this chuck their disabilities in at every oppurtunity to muddy the waters and press gang their own way.

oh btw Plain talker just out of interest what is your job?

well said m8 plain talker talks outta her ass.She obviously only sees what she wants to see on the plans and twists and spins them to her own ends worthy of a crooked MP.

Please can you make your points without resorting to personal insults?

FACT

EMT will have used revenue projections from barriers in their buisness projections and will now be able to sue either the goverment or the council (hopefully Scriven) for loss of revenue)

That's not a fact.

FACT

Large poster at the supertram end of bridge and several at the main enterance clearly stating ticket needed before travel

What's that go to do with anything? This thread is about being able to use the footbridge for something other than getting on a train.

ptigga.

Tht's not a personal insult.It is true.She has passed comment on the plans which she makes out she knows all about but then posts things that are blatantly incorrect.If challenged she either ignores you or dismisses you (either way i dont care)

Do you know anything about big buisness? Of course EMT will have figure any potential increase/decrease of revenue into their plans.Basic buisness sense.SCC have stopped this (for now) so have potentially caused a loss of revenue..thereby opening themselves up for possible legal action.

My final fact- re read the post especially the mandatory ticketing area's posts and that is wot i refer too.

As i said no way is this the end..this will run and run....and I'll continue to support the barrier installation.I'm sick of subsidising fare dodgers.

I appreciate there is a thread about this topic but I felt this excellent news deserved a thread of its own so people notice it. If the mods disagree then please move it.

As the title suggests, planning board met today and refused the application for barriers at the station. EMT say they will continue to operate manned gates but as we have seen this has been on an occasional basis and very sporadic.

Well done to the Council for sticking to their guns and making the right decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8374527.stm

the application was refused due to the buildings listed status.

before we know it there will be another application submitted.

This is a hollow victory really- a battle may be won but not the war.EMT won't let it rest here there's a recession going on and every bit of revenue counts without a doubt they'll appeal and good luck to them.

FACT:-

It was thrown out on listed building consent- things that can be changed and re submitted.

FACT

This ruling did not state that the bridge was a public right of way access.

FACT

EMT can still post human barriers and either end of the bridge and stop people accessing without a ticket.

FACT

FACT

Plain talker also states about the effect this would have on blind people. BS!! As a visually impaired person myself I would have NO problems Numerous blind people use london underground and their barriers daily (an easy fact checkable with both LUT and RNIB) so another on of her falsehoods/spins.EMT have stated numerous times the barriers will be staffed so assitance will be available to the disabled and the blind/elderly.

Always amazes me how disabled people want equality and to be treated no different then as soon as they involved in things like this chuck their disabilities in at every oppurtunity to muddy the waters and press gang their own way.

oh btw Plain talker just out of interest what is your job?

so its to block a public right of way then ? emt is in it for profit and dont give too monkeys about the people of sheffield surely if they going to block the bridge Burger king will become useless the new pub wont have any customers because they cant get to it .

jesus..it's NOT a public right of way!!!! - some public money was used in the station regeneration as was private money but this does not,under law, make it a public right of way!

please check your facts!

ask the planning board, ask your councillor..it's NOT a public right of way- never has been!

And both the burger king and pub will be used by station users!!!

and for councillor Scrivens comment in the telegraph that sheffielders have overwhelmingly opposed this again Scriven takls BS- some of us and i know who, myself included have supported this and wrote letters and supported the planning application. 2,000 signatures is a tiny proportion in a city this size.

like i say 1 battle won but not the war..let's wait for the next move....

I see EMT are getting slated for introducing penalty fares now... damned whatever they do.

Edited by semerpus

jesus..it's NOT a public right of way!!!! - some public money was used in the station regeneration as was private money but this does not,under law, make it a public right of way!

please check your facts!

ask the planning board, ask your councillor..it's NOT a public right of way- never has been!

And both the burger king and pub will be used by station users!!!

and for councillor Scrivens comment in the telegraph that sheffielders have overwhelmingly opposed this again Scriven takls BS- some of us and i know who, myself included have supported this and wrote letters and supported the planning application. 2,000 signatures is a tiny proportion in a city this size.

like i say 1 battle won but not the war..let's wait for the next move....

I see EMT are getting slated for introducing penalty fares now... damned whatever they do.

so its ok for money to be pumped to something they cant use emt should have stopped this stupid action ages ago you slag scriven off but he has a right to stick up for the city against bully boy tactics by emt. 2000 signatures is quite a lot in the area it would be affected ?

so its ok for money to be pumped to something they cant use emt should have stopped this stupid action ages ago you slag scriven off but he has a right to stick up for the city against bully boy tactics by emt. 2000 signatures is quite a lot in the area it would be affected ?

Why is it whenever a business does something that people don't like, they call the business bullies?

Do you think EMT sit there and think of how they can annoy and bully the public?

Some of you probably don't understand how business works. Decisions have to be made - some of those people will not like.

And why are you saying money is being pumped into something they can't use - they can use it if they need to catch a train, that is why the money was spent!

I've never known so many people get worked up over such a little thing. Especially when there are other ways to get across, and even a Supertram to take you into town. The sad fact is that the station bridge is new and shiny, and you don't like using something that is not new and shiny. You also don't like being told what you can't do. Stop spitting out your dummies and get on with your lives.

Why is it whenever a business does something that people don't like, they call the business bullies?

Do you think EMT sit there and think of how they can annoy and bully the public?

Some of you probably don't understand how business works. Decisions have to be made - some of those people will not like.

And why are you saying money is being pumped into something they can't use - they can use it if they need to catch a train, that is why the money was spent!

I've never known so many people get worked up over such a little thing. Especially when there are other ways to get across, and even a Supertram to take you into town. The sad fact is that the station bridge is new and shiny, and you don't like using something that is not new and shiny. You also don't like being told what you can't do. Stop spitting out your dummies and get on with your lives.

the sad fact is the bridge they want people to use is inadequete for prams and is poorly lit and is further down the line and is a muggers paradise thats the fact .

the sad fact is the bridge they want people to use is inadequete for prams and is poorly lit and is further down the line and is a muggers paradise thats the fact .

It's not EMTs problem! There is a supertram stop that will take them into town.

Further down the line - it's not far, you make out like it's a mile away!

You moan that EMT are in it for profit - well yes they are, they are a business. They run trains. They don't provide shortcuts for people.

I wonder how many of the 'stop the barrier' social group have fare dodged in the past?

How many people have been inconvenienced since the human barriers were up? How many people from Park Hill area have been unable to find a way into the city? Aren't you just all kicking up a fuss over nothing because quite frankly there's nothing much else for you to do?

The demand for these barriers is not driven by business forces. EMT are not the ones that want these barriers.

EMT are responding, as any business would, to the demands being placed on them by the controllers of their franchise.

Those demands are politically driven.