The Sheffield Tap pub - railway station bar

This is a great addition to Sheffield's train station, and Sheffield in general. I don't know of anywhere in the town centre (or elsewhere) with that range of Thornbridge beers, which I think are excellent. Was in there the other day and had a pint of the Hopton, which was suitably hoppy and extremely well kept.

You can also enjoy Thornbridge beers in the University Arms (the old 197 Club) on Western Bank. A more relaxed and refined venue for those of us getting too old for the noice and crowds of West Street!

ordered by accident ;)

Can you reveal where you were drinking it, or are you worried it may become too popular?!

Can you reveal where you were drinking it, or are you worried it may become too popular?!

it wasn't in sheffield. i will try and found out the name of the pub (i was taken there).

On another note: question to the pub fans on here - anyone have any idea whether the Rutland Arms is worth a go? It seems to have changed hands and re-opened in the last few weeks.

I called in after the match on Saturday, and sampled a few. Yup, it's worth a look. All the beers were well kept; definitely worth calling in.

does the sheffield tap have any real ciders?

You can also enjoy Thornbridge beers in the University Arms (the old 197 Club) on Western Bank. A more relaxed and refined venue for those of us getting too old for the noice and crowds of West Street!

This is true, but the Uni Arms has about one quarter of the selection available at the Tap. Plus they're not as well kept at the Uni Arms, for some reason.

To Andy, I see what you mean about the listed building status of the station but even so, compare it to Stalybridge station's bar, and there's a big difference in visibility.

Looking forward to trying the Paradox! :mrgreen:

Went to the Sheffield Tap twice last week, I love it. The only problem is it temptingly near to where I work.

Went to the Sheffield Tap twice last week, I love it. The only problem is it temptingly near to where I work.

As someone who commutes by train and passes through the station each night it is way too tempting. I get off the train and pop into the tap for a quick half whilst I wait for the bus home then bump into someone I know in there and before I know it....

Go with someone who keeps you in rein. I was just enjoying my McShouffe and thinking happily of the Sierra Madre I was going to have next. When my hopes were cruelly dashed by my spouses insistance that at 8% that should be enough!!

Finally made it into the Taps for a swift one while waiting for friends to pick us up from the station last night. We were very impressed with the decor, service and quality of beers, though Lady R did comment that it was a very "blokey" atmosphere and she was right insofar as that the clientele was over 90% male. I'm sure this changes at different times of day though, and that's not to say a woman would feel uncomfortable going in there on her own.

If I was being picky, I'd say I'd like them to lose the seats at the bar; one of my pet hates is having to push your way past people sat at the bar blocking the way of those who want serving. And there's a big price difference between the Thornbridge Wild Swan at £2.20 a pint and the other Thornbridge beers, which seem to be around 50p a pint more expensive, but not that much stronger.

But all in all, it's a big positive and like Andy C I can see myself "accidentally" missing my train home a lot more often from now on!

We went in last Friday and really enjoyed it. I thought that it had more of a feel of a Belgium bar than a pub, I liked the fact that they had kept as much of the original as possible, ie wall tiles etc. The selection of Thornbridge beers was excellent but how about a few guest beers as well. The place was packed, (lets hope it stays that way) which gave it a good atmosphere, but got served no problem. On an earlier post I had said that it was a little out of the way, but we walked from there up to the Red Deer in less than 15 mins, passing quite a few pubs so could easily include it in a pub crawl. Overall I was very impressed and will definately be going back :)