The union jack/flag - ongoing discussion thread

Racist's... that's the people who fly flags in there garden.

If you weren't trolling I'd get myself banned again for swearing!

this opinion is wrong, but it shows that the national flag needs to be reclaimed by everyone, to do that everyone should fly the union flag!

It should be illegal for the flag to be used directly as a symbol / logo of any political movement. It's THE flag, not a logo or badge. Forcibly detach it's association from racist organisations.

I had a nice union flag bag. Had to chuck it as I used it too much and it got dirty but I'm looking for a new one (if anyone has the same one, from Accessorize with flowers across it, PM me and I'll buy it from you for more than cost price :) ).

And I'll probably dig up the St Georges one or a union one for the World Cup to hang out of my window or stick on the wall.

I'd also say, broadly speaking, I am more liberal/social libertarian than conservative. Oh, and I don't drive a white van or work as a builder either :).

For me the flag doesn't represent the BNP/right wing point of view (despite attempts by certain groups to "hijack" symbols of patriotism) but my country, which I am terribly fond of. And terribly proud of as well. And which had key roles in the fight against fascism and against slavery.

to be fair, for a time, it was a symbol for the far right alien

and then ginger spice wore it

and beyonce

and the rest is history :D

Ginger Spice wore it? Forget national pride, I'm never wearing it again! :rant::hihi:

Agreed I would never fly the union flag and I will defend my right to fly the cross of St George,bugger the Union Jack the England flag is my flag.

The England flag is mine as well, but, it's quite interesting, that when visiting many other countries, they have no problems displaying their national flag, France, Italy, Australia, Spain as a few examples, so why does the same not happen in England ? ?

Also, along similar lines, was chatting to a few friends a couple of weeks ago, and one of them said that it's no longer correct, (or politically correct???), to say you're English ? ? Is this true ?

It should be illegal for the flag to be used directly as a symbol / logo of any political movement. It's THE flag, not a logo or badge. Forcibly detach it's association from racist organisations.

...Amen :)

*faints as she finds herself agreeing with NM on this matter*

The England flag is mine as well, but, it's quite interesting, that when visiting many other countries, they have no problems displaying their national flag, France, Italy, Australia, Spain as a few examples, so why does the same not happen in England ? ?
Im not sure it is, but if it is its probably because self invented nationalists and football hooligans have used it as a symbol for themselves, and the majority of British people dont wish to be associated with those activities.

Also, along similar lines, was chatting to a few friends a couple of weeks ago, and one of them said that it's no longer correct, (or politically correct???), to say you're English ? ? Is this true ?

No, it's not true, where did they hear that?

Im not sure it is, but if it is its probably because self invented nationalists and football hooligans have used it as a symbol for themselves, and the majority of British people dont wish to be associated with those activities.

It does seem to be, but yep, it could be due to those reasons.

No, it's not true, where did they hear that?

I'll ask when I next see them - just wondering, have others here heard the same thing, that you're not supposed to call yourself English any more ?

It does seem to be, but yep, it could be due to those reasons.

I suspect it is Chris, no one had aproblem with the flag before the National Front and football violence

just wondering, have others here heard the same thing, that you're not supposed to call yourself English any more ?

..but who's to stop you calling yourself English?

In any relevant situation that's how I refer to myself.

Ignore the lefties and fly your flag, all this PC and human rights nonsense will be gone this time next year and we can get back to being normal again when we kick this Marxist lot out.

The Tories only pretend to be patriotic and Eurosceptic, but they are not.

If Scotland gains its independence like the SNP aim to do, will we have to change the Union Jack?