Daffodil Road And The House That Burnt Down

The woodland was Wincobank Wood, Arch Stanton, and there was a sports ground there, according to my old A to Z. My only memories of that area (the Flower estate) were from visiting my grandparents on Foxglove Road as a kid.

message moved.

Edited by Arch Stanton
old post

message moved.

Edited by Arch Stanton
old post

Do you mean the chip shop formerly called the Paragon (I think !), I used to like that chippy back in the 70s, always used to go there on the way to my grandparents.

message moved.

Edited by Arch Stanton
old post

I can't say when they knocked the houses down for sure, but it will have been sometime in the eleven year gap 'tween 1989 and 2000; I can't be more specific than that I'm afraid.

You see, during 1989 one of my schoolfriends lived there at the time I moved to Liverpool, and when I next returned to Sheffield in 2000, the houses were gone ;)

As for the woodland, isn't that part of Wincobank Hill?

Oh, I'm not interested in the supernatural tales (shudder), but in how areas such as Firth Park grew from only having a church a century ago, into suburbs, before being assimiliated (sp) into Sheffield proper.

Why not have a look at http://www.picturesheffield.com and see for yourself?

In the words of the website:

Picturesheffield.com is the Internet version of Sheffield Local Studies Library's computerised image system. This website is only a representative selection from our collections, and most images are pre-1950. It is planned for the site to host up to 10,000 images of the city.

How sad are you - do you realise what you are saying?

Idiots like you have ensured the church closed in July 2005.

Perhaps when you go to hell you can let everyone know what it is like.

oops-just realised, the church was the one on Windmill Lane, not Bellhouse Road (sorry to the good people of Bellhouse, it's the Windmill Lane people who I thought were satanists!)

How sad are you - do you realise what you are saying?

Idiots like you have ensured the church closed in July 2005.

Perhaps when you go to hell you can let everyone know what it is like.

How sad are YOU - do you realise what you are saying? A six year old in the 70s apparently thought the building looked a bit scary, and you're condemning him to hell? I lived around there at that age and I thought the same. Unless there are things I don't know and the church was closed because of accusations of heresy?

I cannot imagine anyone, child or adult thinking that St. Hilda's church on Windmill Lane looked scary. It was a normal looking church of its day.

I remember going to the dances that they had on Saturday night's, they were held in the basement. When we were bombed out we also lived in the same basement for a number of weeks. Dances were postponed.

Cheers, Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.