A61 crashes: was the road at fault?

I can't believe these road threads get so far.

It's easy.

In bad weather you need to take extreme care and slow down a lot as visibility gets very bad. A lot of people don't bother and risk it. A few just have bad luck.

My van was lit up like a christmas tree with lights and reflective stripes. In poor weather I was sometimes down to a first gear crawl but on several occasions I heard the squeal of tyres as some nut was driving like he could see ahead.

In good weather it's down to cretins in a rush. I've seen a few close ones down there and it's always been the fault of idiots driving like idiots.

The last one was a nut overtaking where he should not and coming so close to a smash I was already using my voice dial to call 999 as it was so easy to see there was likely to be a bad bump. The man was just a cretin.

As luck has it, he got away with it but it was pure luck.

I allowed the call to continue as I could read his plates and in the hope the cameras had got him on video.

well said. if you're not confident at the speed limit then get on the bus, they always do 20mph under it. grrrr

Drive accordingly then.

by george I think he`s got it.

I dont know - you tell me.

Since the sign is a MINIMUM speed limit, and it exists (albeit rarely used), would it not be fair to assume that by stipulating a minimum speed, in the circumstances, travelling below that speed is considered, at least by the Highways Agency, to be hazardous?

Since the sign is a MINIMUM speed limit, and it exists (albeit rarely used), would it not be fair to assume that by stipulating a minimum speed, in the circumstances, travelling below that speed is considered, at least by the Highways Agency, to be hazardous?

right so we have established a minimum speed limit (although rarely used) exists - can you explain how that supports your argument that driving too slow AT ANY GIVEN TIME is dangerous.

Edited by saxondale

Or just that it would inconvenience a lot of people that would normally be driving faster. Not necessarily hazardous.

right so we have established a minimum speed limit (although rarely used) exists - can you explain how that supports your argument that driving too slow AT ANY GIVEN TIME is dangerous.

You're putting words in my mouth, or perhaps forgetting your own words.

My post was in direct response to your suggestion that driving slowly by definition CANNOT be dangerous.

You have now added "AT ANY GIVEN TIME", a statement which was not in your original post, and therefore not relevant to my earlier rsponse.

You're putting words in my mouth, or perhaps forgetting your own words.

My post was in direct response to your suggestion that driving slowly by definition CANNOT be dangerous.

You have now added "AT ANY GIVEN TIME", a statement which was not in your original post, and therefore not relevant to my earlier rsponse.

listen - woosh.................hairs

driving slowly cannot by definition cannot be dangerous - please prove me wrong.

say your tootling along at the speed limit then come up behind some old biddy doing 10mph below the limit its extremely annoying not to mention dangerous cos what happens is traffic starts bunching up behind and its just asking for trouble more than speeding IMO.

if the weather is fine you should drive to the limit - simples.

The worst offenders are the ones going up Halifax Road which is 40 on the dual carriageway bit, when they hit the 30 bit, instead of naturally slowing down the bloody brakes get stomped on!

say your tootling along at the speed limit then come up behind some old biddy doing 10mph below the limit its extremely annoying not to mention dangerous cos what happens is traffic starts bunching up behind and its just asking for trouble more than speeding IMO.

if the weather is fine you should drive to the limit - simples.

The worst offenders are the ones going up Halifax Road which is 40 on the dual carriageway bit, when they hit the 30 bit, instead of naturally slowing down the bloody brakes get stomped on!

should they slow down before the 30 sign or after - either way if your driving the way you seen to imply in your post it wouldnt affect you, would it.

listen - woosh.................hairs

driving slowly cannot by definition cannot be dangerous - please prove me wrong.

Imagine a stopped car with its handbrake on sat in the fast lane of the motorway just after a long right hand bend.

Now imagine the same car traveling at 3 miles an hour