Whitworth - Telegraph & Star cartoonist

I've been looking back through old editions of both papers and am amazed at the quality of the cartoons. I wondered if anyone had any more info on Whitworth?

It's amazing the difference in the newspapers then and now. I would love to get any info on Whitworth's work (The Telegraph are producing a 20th anniversary edition on October 8 - I think - so there might be something in that???)

PS

I've also seen from another thread that his son is drawing cartoons, but I don't think they're in the paper.

I believe that Pete Mckee (or some of his mates) look in on here occasionally - they might be able to give you some more information. Below might help a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Whitworth

You may be still able to get a copy of his book too.

He was a nice chap I gather. I nearly met him once passing through the Telegraph offices. Sadly he died some time later.

I always thought that he emigrated to Australia, however not according to Wikipedia. Was it Whitworth that drew "Little Sport"?

Edited by iansheff

I'm sure his wife used to work at Hallamshire Hospital just before I started there 19 years ago. Also, he did a cartoon on my mum who had a lot to do with the bus strike in the 70's....the star called her 'Red Izzie'! She still has a copy of the cartoon.

It's amazing what you can find out on here!

I often think that Whitworth was such a feature of Sheffield for so many years, it's a shame he doesn't get more recognition.

There should be an exhibition of his work and/or one of those round things outside the Town Hall.

I knew Ralph Whitworth fairly well. And quietly-spoken true gent he was. He lived in Fulwood until his death perhaps 10 years ago and used to quietly get on with his job, which involved turning up late in the evening to look over the following day's news in search of a subject for his cartoon in the Morning Telegraph.

Never one for the limelight, he avoided the kind of publicty that came with, for example, his famous cartoon penned after a Sheffield Wednesday manager in the seventies sent the team out on the moors on a survival mission to toughen them up. The cartoon, depicting a moorland sheep saying to another sheep "I've been out here for years and I'm still no good at football" still hangs in the boardroom at Hillsborough.

What many people didn't know, due to his naturally shy manner, was that he was among the very first paratroops into Normandy with the 6th Airborne in the early hours of D-Day, June 6, 1944. And that at the age of 18.

If you want to find out more about Whitworth, one of Sheffield's least-commemorated sons (that's the way he would have wanted it) try local historian Keith Farnsworth, who is compiling a history of the Morning Telegraph.

Thanks 430spider. Fascinating to hear you actually knew Whitworth. It seems his modesty has contributed to him being not as well known as should be the case.

I still think there should be an exhibition or something, but perhaps from what you say it may be something he would not have liked.

Also v. interesting that he was in the paratroops in WW2. Clearly, he was an incredible man.

Much missed.

There's an article about Whitworth in this week's Telegraph as well as articles on Pete McKee and Gary (other Telegraph cartoonist).

It's definitely worth a look. There are also a couple of cartoons by Whitworth's son which are good, although I'm not sure where he normally publishes.

There's an article about Whitworth in this week's Telegraph as well as articles on Pete McKee and Gary (other Telegraph cartoonist).

It's definitely worth a look. There are also a couple of cartoons by Whitworth's son which are good, although I'm not sure where he normally publishes.

I remember Whitworths cartoons. They were always good and topical. Mind you, that was in the days when the Star & Telegraph were worth reading and had journalistic integrity.

I remember Whitworths cartoons. They were always good and topical. Mind you, that was in the days when the Star & Telegraph were worth reading and had journalistic integrity.

I think tbh that things have simply changed. Whitworth worked in a simpler time, without all the spin, misdirection, ass-covering etc. It went on, to be sure, but it wasn't the fine (political) art that it is now.

Now, it must be difficult to get to the 'bones' of a story, and people want to read different things.