I want to start an ebay shop, what could I sell? I want to start off small

Generally it is wise to start a business with a product or service you have a personal interest in or good knowledge of.

For example you don't have to like motorbikes to open a motorbike spares shop, but it can help.

Firstly you will have a passion for your work and good knowledge which your customers will appreciate, and secondly when the novelty wears off it might help you to stay focussed and involved with the business.

It isn't always the case but I find that the clients who are more successful financially and have a happier working life start a business where they have an interest in the subject.

Good luck.

My son sells loads of stuff, usually things he no longer wants; could be shirt/tops cds games whatever.

He takes a picture of it and ensures that he gets good reviews by always advertising it correctly/honestly.

He does not make a business from it, but it keeps him in pocket money.

search Ebay for 'lots' and see what there is to buy bulk split down and sell individually.

business idea - talk with any second hand shops and try to help them to sale their stuff through ebay.

The best contact i could give you is a company called "The Select". Type it in google. There professional and local, plus they have a great product range, they dropship and offer the best prices.

You can try "esources" or "alibaba" for wholesale contacts who are well know to ebayers, there are literally thousands of worldwide companies that would probably dropship any item you wish for a small fee. Watch out for oversea dropshippers though as you will get stung with import tax. Try to keep it local and you'll do fine.

Good Luck.

The best contact i could give you is a company called "The Select". Type it in google. There professional and local, plus they have a great product range, they dropship and offer the best prices.

You can try "esources" or "alibaba" for wholesale contacts who are well know to ebayers, there are literally thousands of worldwide companies that would probably dropship any item you wish for a small fee. Watch out for oversea dropshippers though as you will get stung with import tax. Try to keep it local and you'll do fine.

Good Luck.

I went to that Select website a while back, a simple comparison between the prices on the website and the price the products sell for on eBay shows that you'd probably make a loss, break even if you are lucky.

The best way for dropshipping is find a niche market rather than sell what everyone else is selling. Find a wholesaler and ask if they would dropship.

I would have thought that your profit margin would depend on which package you would choose.

At the moment on the select if you were to go for the £299/y package you would get a free upgrade to the £499 package which is great for beginners who are not fully aware of online marketing as this site offer dedicated marketing managers that will help you establish your presence on the internet.

Not only will you have prices with upto 80% off retail, you also get a professional webstore with data feeds, also with a custom logo.

Yes, Niche Products are the best to aim for and esources and alibaba would be great for this.

PLEASE NOTE: Even though you can find products cheaper on ebay there are still millions of people who refuse to use it due to scams, bad experiences ect. If you are visible in the search engines for specific searches and have a good reputation, people will be willing to pay a few extra pounds for that piece of mind. Also if you hit a local market, many individuals feel alot safer knowing that customer support is close by.

Do you work for the select by any chance?

What sort of costs are involved on an ebay shop?

No i dont, but as i have just launched Yorkshire Auction, this service would be ideal for me due to the features it offers.

For me personally, my personal auction site has its own bulk listing software like the turbo lister provided by ebay.

The Select have included with their account a csv file that includes all of their product catalogue which will save me hours of work. All i have to do is upload the csv file into my bulk listing software, edit a few variables and post. This will fill my auction with thousands of products instantly.

I suppose it all depends on the individual, its ideal for me and i only plan to make £1 per item profit so as long as the prices are near enough the same as ebay or amazon i wont mind as it will help my site grow.

No i dont, but as i have just launched Yorkshire Auction, this service would be ideal for me due to the features it offers.

For me personally, my personal auction site has its own bulk listing software like the turbo lister provided by ebay.

The Select have included with their account a csv file that includes all of their product catalogue which will save me hours of work. All i have to do is upload the csv file into my bulk listing software, edit a few variables and post. This will fill my auction with thousands of products instantly.

I suppose it all depends on the individual, its ideal for me and i only plan to make £1 per item profit so as long as the prices are near enough the same as ebay or amazon i wont mind as it will help my site grow.

Good luck with your auction site. I launched the same kind of thing (think it was called Yorkshire Bid) with the same software and after 6 months it cost me so much in Adwords etc it just wasn't worth it.

I genuinely hope you do well, and have better luck/marketing skills than I did!