Bia Hoi and, er, me

Matey? From the manager? Oh well......

Have walked past the last two Mondays and given it a miss, 8 people in last night at 8pm. Varsity and Cavendish maybe cheap and full of students but at least there is atmposphere.

For a fellow venue manager you seem pretty bitter. I would guess that during the current climate Sheffield venues should be supporting each other as a greater choice will bring more people into town?

For a fellow venue manager you seem pretty bitter. I would guess that during the current climate Sheffield venues should be supporting each other as a greater choice will bring more people into town?

Well said !!! :D

Not really true, different places cater for different tastes, just as Bia Hoi has said they don't do £1 drinks and aim for a different Monday night crowd.

All this talk of support is very strange, competition is what makes people or products better. If you don't want to be the best/most profitable then you are in the wrong job or in my opinion should try harder.

Not sure why I would be bitter, I was stating fact. And when a customer raises a point and gets the reply

"You sent one email back in July matey, I wasn't in charge back then, sorry"

I personally don't think that is good enough or really appropriate. No matter how informal the forum, as a professional running a bar there should be some level of professionalism when representing your business. MattS is not here as an individual with his posts, he is here as manager.

If I had gone and it was busy/good music I would have stated the same, it is purely feedback. And as far as I am concerned it is missing something when it comes to Mondays that other bars within 50 metres are clearly providing. Unfortunately not all feedback is good but without how can you improve.

You weren't providing feedback though. I think those working in the bar would have already known it was quiet without you gleefully announcing it on here. Telling people something they already know is not feedback and if you didn't go in your not really in a position to give feedback anyway.

How much is a normal G & T there for us less adventurous types?

Not really true, different places cater for different tastes, just as Bia Hoi has said they don't do £1 drinks and aim for a different Monday night crowd.

All this talk of support is very strange, competition is what makes people or products better. If you don't want to be the best/most profitable then you are in the wrong job or in my opinion should try harder.

Not sure why I would be bitter, I was stating fact. And when a customer raises a point and gets the reply

"You sent one email back in July matey, I wasn't in charge back then, sorry"

I personally don't think that is good enough or really appropriate. No matter how informal the forum, as a professional running a bar there should be some level of professionalism when representing your business. MattS is not here as an individual with his posts, he is here as manager.

If I had gone and it was busy/good music I would have stated the same, it is purely feedback. And as far as I am concerned it is missing something when it comes to Mondays that other bars within 50 metres are clearly providing. Unfortunately not all feedback is good but without how can you improve.

I hadn't realised you were a 'rival' venue manager - but whether you are or not, your comments came across as snide and unfriendly rather than 'as feedback'.

As for your 'feedback' of the venue, I'm not sure a quick headcount from the brief moment you happened to walk past the doorway really counts as that constructive or useful as feedback anyway. Maybe you should let us know at what exact second it was you walked past?

wonder if he'll tell us which venue that he runs? me thinks not, and you won't see him again in this thread.

Thanks guys, the city centre support thing is changing in sheffield, I'm good friends with the guys at the bowery and the basement, as well as knowing the guys at soyo, bungalows, the wick (old dogma), the harley, forum, old house etc, we're all gonna get together soon and carry on the spirit that tramlines kick started!

Jamesogt I'm not going to start disecting what you've replied as it's pretty pointless now, think people have seen what you're all about, I'd just like to say I do want to be the best and I do want to be profitable, I just don't go on public forums and slag off competition to achieve this, in the last four years venues I've run have won 5 exposed awards, 3 sheffield bar awards and the 2008 Galaxy Radio Best bar in Yorkshire award, my standards speak for themselves thanks

Tykes a G&T is around £3.70, we have a wristband offer at the minute where our flyerers are offering doubles for the price of singles, plus we also have Tom Collins (Gin, fresh citrus and a choice of fruit puree, nice and simple!) on the cocktail menu with the option to have Tanq 10 gin if you're feelin flush :)

Edited by Matt S

wonder if he'll tell us which venue that he runs? me thinks not, and you won't see him again in this thread.

I dont 'run' anywhere. I previously had some leaseholds in Sheffield.

I've heard embrace got closed down last night for being over capacity and have been forced to shut for a week? Anyone know if this is true?

And starting threads like the one above is hardly me trying to put venues down. When it was never closed.

I dont 'run' anywhere. I previously had some leaseholds in Sheffield.

like??????

And starting threads like the one above is hardly me trying to put venues down. When it was never closed.

For your information I had several other venue managers ask me about that and no-one knew if it was true, so I was genuinely asking as you can see from the way I worded it, and Laura came on and posted the reply because she knew the rumour was going round (and they had definitely received a warning over the capacity issue, hence ther reason that there are some replies to that thread that say yes it is)... then you put some sarcastic comment about worrying about my own venue and guess what, myself and all the other city centre managers would have needed to staff more if one of the largest clubs in sheffield wasn't open, so I was worried about my venue, I didn't put on "I was in embrace last week and it was crap" did I? I even asked a moderator to close the thread once I'd got a reply, anyone who wants to go through my thread history feel free like... you a politician in real life? side stepping and mud slinging in two brief phrases is pretty good work

Edited by Matt S