Hitting the wall, lifechanging experiences.

Worrying about the things we can't change only wastes the time you have before the inevitable happens. People lose people and they suffer because of it. That's a part of life.

You can be independant and still form emotional attachments to people, in fact unless you avoid people entirely it's hard not to. You might be guarding yourself against loss, but you're also preventing alot of gain and experience... I think your theory blows (no offense :D).

As for the other walls, you can't prepare. They hit you and that's all there is to it. It helps if you have people around you to support you and lend their strength, but if you stick with your afore mentioned theory you'll be sadly lacking if and when that time comes.

ERM.....you an agony aunt columnist for some magazine girl?....or just a wanna be one?

ERM.....you an agony aunt columnist for some magazine girl?....or just a wanna be one?

Nope I just think about stuff!

I used to be a counsellor, many moons ago. Maybe it's a hard habit to kick?

Nope I just think about stuff!

I used to be a counsellor, many moons ago. Maybe it's a hard habit to kick?

Hmmmmmm...OK.

I really can't say I've hit a wall as of yet. I'm worried about when that time will come. I dread the day my mum or dad rings up crying with "the" news. Stupid to think about it really, but it's going to happen... some day. I don't suppose anything would prepare me for it.

I like to think I wouldn't let myself change. I am a very independent person (some might say a "loner"), for the sole reason that the fewer emotional attachments one makes, the less there is to lose. That's my theory anyway! However, I will lose and I will be challenged by that... when the time comes.

Edit: just realised I've only been talking about losing people close to me. I can't even begin to prepare myself for the other major walls I could run into.

One of the good things about doing the jobs I have done in my life (mostly ‘support’ type roles eg debt counselling) I have realised quite how much life can throw at one person in one year. It sounds depressing but I like it because it makes me appreciate life much more and realise what I have is very precious.

Worrying about the things we can't change only wastes the time you have before the inevitable happens. People lose people and they suffer because of it. That's a part of life.

You can be independant and still form emotional attachments to people, in fact unless you avoid people entirely it's hard not to. You might be guarding yourself against loss, but you're also preventing alot of gain and experience... I think your theory blows (no offense :D).

As for the other walls, you can't prepare. They hit you and that's all there is to it. It helps if you have people around you to support you and lend their strength, but if you stick with your afore mentioned theory you'll be sadly lacking if and when that time comes.

I suppose I've never hit a big enough wall that I've felt I need the intimate support of a partner or friend. I do have friends of course, but they don't live in Sheff and they are more like nostalgic acquaintences these days. I don't imagine going to them for serious emotional support. I may find I regret not making the effort to form relationships in my 20s. I may, however, find that I just withdraw even more when the brick wall(s) hit me, and therefore I'd genuinely feel better about the fact there's no chance of dragging anyone down with me.

Perhaps my theory does blow, but sure enough, that theory will be tested when the time comes... or maybe I'll suddenly have a delayed burst of social activity in my late twenties and I'll have all the support I need :)

I suppose I've never hit a big enough wall that I've felt I need the intimate support of a partner or friend. I do have friends of course, but they don't live in Sheff and they are more like nostalgic acquaintences these days. I don't imagine going to them for serious emotional support. I may find I regret not making the effort to form relationships in my 20s. I may, however, find that I just withdraw even more when the brick wall(s) hit me, and therefore I'd genuinely feel better about the fact there's no chance of dragging anyone down with me.

Perhaps my theory does blow, but sure enough, that theory will be tested when the time comes... or maybe I'll suddenly have a delayed burst of social activity in my late twenties and I'll have all the support I need :)

ERM.....I really do think that you should make more of an effort now to form some close relationships. Close relationships are important and cannot be properly formed on the internet. Chatrooms are a huge community where people can be lonely together?......ERM....what about see, touch, hear and smell?.....and body heat!

ERM.....I really do think that you should make more of an effort now to form some close relationships. Close relationships are important and cannot be properly formed on the internet. Chatrooms are a huge community where people can be lonely together?......ERM....what about see, touch, hear and smell?.....and body heat!

Is this becoming an obsession with you?

Is this becoming an obsession with you?

ERM....is what becoming an obsession girl?

ERM....is what becoming an obsession girl?

Being lonely together online.

Being lonely together online.

I was merely attempting to point out that there is a vast difference between online "relationships " and real relationships. Sometimes I form the opinion that some people do not realise that. Forums and chatrooms become their reality. That is sad!

Reality and virtual reality will never meet, they are poles apart.

I was merely attempting to point out that there is a vast difference between online "relationships " and real relationships. Sometimes I form the opinion that some people do not realise that. Forums and chatrooms become their reality. That is sad!

Reality and virtual reality will never meet, they are poles apart.

So the real friendships that have formed through this very forum that have spilled over into the (for want of a better phrase) real world, what are they all about then?

They can't be anomalies as there are so many of them.

The world has moved on, like it or not and this is exactly the sort of place that new friendships are forged.

Can you hit the wall in a good way?

If so, then mine was 16 December 1981. The third, and final, time I was placed into care.

I remember hating the Officer-in-Charge of the Children's Home at the time as I thought it was her fault that I had been taken in again. I hadn't realised at that point that your parents weren't supposed to beat you up. I got over it though, grew up, realised what was right and wrong and was eventually fostered by said Officer-in-Charge and had the best upbringing from that point forward that you could imagine.

Changed my life, that's for sure. If it hadn't happened, I wouldn't be posting this right now...