1955 teenagers,better then or now

irene

It was absolutely brilliant, being a teenager in the 50,s

Can hardly comment as it's all been very well put by, Irene, MikeG, Wynne, Fareast, nosy nellie, & jonjo2.

We probably enjoyed it so much because we had all spent our childhoods in the austerity of the war years and rationing so we appreciated everything we got.

The materialism of today has ruined everything and made "keeping up with the Jones", the only thing that matters.

Everything comes too easily now and so is less appreciated - people cared more about each other in those days & the old friendliness has gone.

And, why does everybody nowadays seem to have a such a short fuse?

I think if anyone had asked us at the time if life was great I doubt very much if they would have got a positive reply. We had nothing to compare our lives with except the horror stories our parents told us and we could'nt really understand them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but what about the National Service which ended it all so dramatically !!!

I was very aware that I was being robbed of 2 years of my life at a very crucial point in time. O.k. we learned a lot from the experience but it was a high price to pay.

Bob.

Being a teenager is great no matter what decade you have your teenage years in - afterall, you are discovering everything for the first time at that age, whether others have already been there or not! I would think that most people would look back on their teens as being a great time... Mine were in the very late 1980's and early 1990's and it was great!

• 1 month later...

Archived