Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

At the corner of Bower Rd/Barber Road was a beer-off called Scrivens and where Fairey's plumbers currently stands, there was a temperance bar.

Wasn't the furniture shop just elow MacKenzie's sweet shop, called Milners?

Trevor Fairey was one of my dad's mates. Don't know that he still owns the plumbers shop though. Remember getting off the 95 bus to go to my grans and stopping off at the sweet shop and then the steep walk up Hands Road to Leamington Street where my grandparents lived next door to each other. My dad's aunty also owned the beer off on the corner of commonside by the bus stop. I loved that area of Sheffield but never actually lived there.

I also loved going to the crown green bowling club at the top of Hands Road. It was a magical place inside for a kid with the full size snooker tables and I always remeber they had parties at Christmas for kids.

In fact just had a look at google maps and there is a street level photo of Commonside and it doesn't look that different - brought back loads of happy memories.

There was a bike shop (Could have been 'Rothwells') on Commonside when I was a kid in the 50s it was next door to the Springvale pub.

If you went down the alleyway at the side of the shop you overlooked the car park and garages behind the pub and bike shop, it was quite a drop down to the car park.

There was a sink perched on the wall which one of our gang shoved off, it went straight through the roof of a car parked below.

Those were the days.

Going down Barber Rd;below the Co-op,were;East Star cafe,Yorkshire Glass,Bettys grocers,Equator cafe,Webbs furniture & clothing,Naylors hardware,Abbey Glen laundry,bookies (various owners),Hadfield pub (still open),Slacks bakers,Binneys news,McKenzies sweet shop and Chadwicks builders with the butchers on the corner.I stand corrected though.....:twisted:

The butchers on the corner, was carneys where i started working at 15 before it closed and i moved to there other shop up on south road. does any one remember the dolls hospital on commonside? many a time i would take my action men for a repair there.

I can remember (I think back to the early 60s), a home furnishing shop on Commonside called 'Milners'. This was in the block of shops opposit the 'Springvale'. My mum bought my first radiogram from them. I thought it was fantastic at the time. The cabinet was polished wood with a lift up lid. The deck would take a stack of records whereby each disc would play automatically, one after the other. How things have advanced since then!

Mabbotts the butchers was down on the corner past Binneys newsagents bottom shop (they had one further up at 34) and the sweet shop.

There was a shop next to Binneys that sold baby clothes and nighties but I can't remember the name. Was it Robins?

The Herbalists near the laundry sold sasparrilla.

Shentalls was the grocers next to the Hadfield.

I still have scars on my knees from running too fast down the gennil and falling on the gravel.

I was looking at Barber road on Google last night and what struck me was the colour of the houses, the stonework used to be black in the early 1950s I suppose that was all the smoke from the coal we all burnt for heating.

In front of the shops were wooden covers that the coalmen lifted up before they tipped the sacks of coal down into the cellars.

I think the baby clothes shop may have been called Seedhouses

The butchers on the corner, was carneys where i started working at 15 before it closed and i moved to there other shop up on south road. does any one remember the dolls hospital on commonside? many a time i would take my action men for a repair there.

I remember Jack Carney and I think it was his son who was at the Butchers.

Jack was avery good snooker player at the Florist pub. He had swivel specs which were very advanced at that time.

In response to an earlier post by Jessity. My wife Wendy, recognises a few of the names you mentioned as they were at school together, especially Lynne Burrows (now Conway). They were and still are the best of friends and Lynne is godmother to our eldest daughter, Katie.

Edited by JOHN.P

Jessity.

I have replied to your private message but I am not sure as to whether it was sent. Would you kindly confirm?

Kind regards.

The Herbalists near the laundry sold sasparrilla.

Mags, what memories you're bringing back. I can picture the man who ran the herbalists, can you? Thin, always wore a long dark blue overall and had white hair. What was his name, can you remember?

Mags, what memories you're bringing back. I can picture the man who ran the herbalists, can you? Thin, always wore a long dark blue overall and had white hair. What was his name, can you remember?
The name in the 50s/60s was 'Hartleys' they also had a shop opposite the Walkley Palladium on South Road.

My cousin had the hairdressers in the corner around early 60s her name was

Emily , maiden name Bell . I had an aunt and uncle that lived on Springhouse

Rd , My uncle used to drink in the closed shop ( Joe Ross) I believe they

moved to Scotland. I used to go to St Josephs and walk home up Common-

side as I lived on School Rd.

I used to baby sit for Bradley and Russell. I remember Harry Bell, Cameron and Joe.