What is the best cure for Hayfever?

Hi all, Just wondered the best cure for hayfever? I've heard of a jab...? Also, do the swollen eyes stay forever or what?

Go to poundland and get their anti-histamine hay fever relief, they are the same brand (galpharm) as the chemist sells for £2.50/ £3.00 for a weeks' supply.

Itchy eyes can be "comforted" (sorry, hay fever cannot be "cured" as such) by the use of certain eye drops (I use Optichrom"{sp?} from the chemist, which soothes the irritation)

The sore and itchy eyes will go, eventually, once the pollen season has passed. You just need something to ease the symptoms until then.

Thanks for you advice, PT.

You can only manage the symptoms. Even armed with appropriate treatment, if the pollen count is sufficiently high - as it appears to be this weekend - you still might find yourself afflicted. Ask me how I know.

I use a combination of antihistamine tablets (cetirizine - Tesco own brand) and Flixonase nasal spray. Talk to your pharmacist or GP, because best symptom management can vary from person to person; what works for one might not be the most appropriate solution for another.

If your eyes are badly affected, your best option is to relax in a room with all the windows closed. Keep away from those who've been outdoors, because they'll bring pollen in from outside. Cover your eyes with a flannel soaked in ice-cold water, and keep a basin of ice water by the side of the bed to keep rinsing out the flannel.

Thank you. I woke up this morning and was frightened to see my eyes had puffed up so bad! I have shut myself in a room, not my bedroom though because it seems that I'm sneezing and fighting irritation there than elsewhere in my house. I've shut all the windows, blah blah, but I think that my room may be dusty? Could be that, or psychological - I dunno, heading to see the GP tomorrow!

I have pretty bad allergies and the only thing Ive found to work without getting weekly shots is Benedryl (the 15 minute active one and the one with decongestion)

For red eyes - if you dont have any visine or the like around - try a washcloth or paper towel dampened with cold water and lay it over your eyes.

Also Ive found taking a shower helps as alleviate symptoms as well.

Glad l not the only person hiding behind the curtains to keep the sun off me and keep as much pollen out as is possible.

For those people that have dust allergy, what do you sleep in/on?

I've been out all day and only just returned home. I had one of those Piriteze for the hayfever and it works well. But coming to my room, having crashed on my bed for a mo' I've had to leave the room due to immediate itchy eyes and I've been fine all day so rational deduction says I think I'm going to have to ditch my bed, but what's the alternative to the standard mattress?

All suggestions here seem to be ways to best manage/relieve symptoms and not cure. I believe the only thing resembling a cure was discussed recently by Scientists and made the news, and they recommended a managed program of reintroducing the sufferers to the allergen(s) in small controlled doses rising steadily until the body could cope with it again. That makes sense to me.

For those who use Flixonase, it's on offer at Boots at the moment (£1 off).

It was out of stock in my local branch, which is how I found out about this. It's Boots' own brand Flixonase equivalent, and it's identical to Flixonase in terms of its active ingredient (fluticasone propionate) and volume (50ug/spray, 60 sprays/bottle).

If you buy at Boots, the own-brand will be cheaper than Flixonase once the offer has ended (of course, you might get a better deal on Flixonase if you're prepared to shop online),

Have you also looked into having things to reduce the pollen levels in your home? Lots of people have had positive response to having an ioniser and air filter in their home.

Other than that it will come down to management most of the time. The evidence for the jabs working is limited and they aren't 100% effective even in the people that they work for.