Saab owner? - Should you be worried?

Mentioned on this forum a few months ago about a front coil spring failing on a 3 year old (42K) Saab motor. The car (93 Sports Wagon) was just out of warranty, been serviced properly and driven very carefully. When you pay through the nose for a motor like this one you would expect no real worries for some time? Having now had a chance to research this a bit, and bearing in mind what happened when the failure occurred (spring tilting and wedging itself against the tyre and alloy rim locking it solid) - I've found no end of similar cases up and down the country on the Saab owners' Forum. Looks like the springs were made in China - good start - and suffer from corrosion / fatigue and usually fail (sometimes without any warning) or after a bit of moaning and groaning from the front end when travelling! The worst case I've found happened after only 20K and one driver suffered a shredded tyre and was forced off the road. She accepts it was a lucky escape and she wasn't doing 70 on the motorway!! Been in touch with VOSA who have already been made aware of the potential dire consequences of this situation. Reason I'm posting this is to advise any owners possibly for peace of mind - to have theirs checked either at servicing or pop in and have someone take a look. Seems they are all failing on the bottom coil, usually - but many not - on the near-side, and where the plastic sleeve on the bottom of the spring has worn through and allowed water ingress and corrosion. Don't know whether VOSA will require Saab to do a recall similar to the Citroen problem or whether they will let it go? If they do I would presume they're possibly liable when the worst will happen? Glad I'm not the person to make that decision! Anyone out there already had a problem? - If so you might contact VOSA?

It's a common problem on lots of cars recently. The problem is generally that the ends of the springs aren't finished in the best way which lets corrosion in and then they can fail. Unfortunately there's not that much you can do about it apart from a premptive change which may be a complete waste of money.

There will be more of this as manufacturing in Europe is replaced by far east (China etc) cheaper alternatives. It makes you wonder if they skimp on the NDT (non detructive testing) & mechanical testing that is usually associated with metal based products sold within the E.U?

My work mate had a Vauxhall & the spring snapped on that. That car was only about 3 year old as well. He was having the same thoughts:- 70mph; kids on board; wife on board; spring snaps goes though tyre locking wheel & flips it over or slams in central res..............AAAAAAAH!

VOSA have now been in touch and want more info on the actual incident + service details etc. They seem very concerned with the incidence on this make although it seems a regular problem on a lot of cars whatever make? Presume VOSA will be in contact with Saab with a view to a possible recall. Now it is obviously known by Saab I would have thought they are now open to possible future litigation when (not if unfortunately) the worse happens to some innocent! Not sure how the springs can be checked on any recall but I would have thought they could be 'sheathed' to stop 'em tilting on failure and either shredding the tyre or even worse entering the alloy wheel spokes with obvious dire consequences? :huh:

This is my first post but I'm a veteran poster on various SAAB forums and I host my own SAAB enthusiasts website (just add dotcodotuk to my user name). Road spring failures are -thankfully- pretty rare on SAABs and in my opinion, you are more likely to find SAABs with soggy dampers after big mileages than snapped coil springs. The NG900 (93-97) & 9-3 (98-02) did sustain the odd broken spring but most snapped right at the top of the coil and only came to light at MOT or service time. I have a fair bit of contact with the motor trade and I think there is an increased tendency for springs to fail but especially where the cars are driven anywhere where there is a lot of speed ramps. RTW

This is my first post but I'm a veteran poster on various SAAB forums and I host my own SAAB enthusiasts website (just add dotcodotuk to my user name). Road spring failures are -thankfully- pretty rare on SAABs and in my opinion, you are more likely to find SAABs with soggy dampers after big mileages than snapped coil springs. The NG900 (93-97) & 9-3 (98-02) did sustain the odd broken spring but most snapped right at the top of the coil and only came to light at MOT or service time. I have a fair bit of contact with the motor trade and I think there is an increased tendency for springs to fail but especially where the cars are driven anywhere where there is a lot of speed ramps. RTW

Thanks for this, VOSA have requested details of the damage, service history, mileage, etc and are currently investigating. If you've had to contact the so called customer care at Saab - I'm sure you'll agree they're poor at best - just don't want to know. Wonder if you're reading the same info on Saab forum as I have - the incidence of front springs going just beggars belief - some on cars with mileages much less than 42K! Sad that such a well-known name is being tarnished with this problem? Wonder if all coil springs are made in China - I understand Saab's are? I personally would want to know if it hadn't already happened that my springs weren't corroding away quite merrily and would fail without warning - possibly at speed! The spring failed on the bottom coil by the way and the N/S was about to go when renewed at the same time as the busted one. If one goes I can assure you it will come to light without an MOT inspection - in no uncertain terms! I recommend everyone gets them checked - look for corrosion on the bottom coil where the plastic sheath has worn away.:help::confused:

Quick update if anyone's interested? VOSA have advised that there's an ongoing investigation into this problem by the American equivalent of VOSA where they're very concerned about the number of failures involved. The US agency is due to report in August and VOSA will wait 'til then before deciding how to best act - although continue to monitor the situation. VOSA have reported they are not aware of any serious injuries or worse specifically caused by spring failures but are concerned about numbers involved. Will keep folks on here up to date as things progress if anyone wants me to?

In your research did you find that it was only the newer 9-3s that were affected?

I drive an 02 9-3, thinking of getting them checked out for peace of mind as we've got a 4500 round trip coming up this summer.

In your research did you find that it was only the newer 9-3s that were affected?

I drive an 02 9-3, thinking of getting them checked out for peace of mind as we've got a 4500 round trip coming up this summer.

Hi JoeS - sorry but it definitely affects your model and year - you can see for yourself the numbers involved - try 'googling' saab coil spring failureand just have a look at the forums - beware 'it'll make your hair curl' - make sure you're sat down when you read the tales of woe! I think it very wise to have 'em checked - tell 'em to pay particular attention to the bottom coil where the plastic coated sheath may have worn through allowing water / road salt penetration - corrosion - fatigue and imminent failure. Best scenario on actual failure would be warning creaking and break at low speed / parked, the worse situation would be no warning, at speed and the spring meeting up with the tyre / wheel rim / spokes - this happend to mine although luckily at the end of a journey - parked outside then 'twang'!!! I was impressed as my wife and 2 yougsters (3 and 5) got out as you can imagine! Good luck with the check - be interested what's found? - Just thought - for about £150 - 200 you might consider renewing 'em and forget it - not a big job and it won't always be at the back of your mind - especially at a steady 70 on the M1? How Saab are dealing with this issue just beggars belief - it makes the Clio bonnet problem recently championed by VOSA and Watchdog - like an Enid Blyton kids' novel.:confused::huh:

Hi All,

Firstime I'm posting but I am really shocked reading up on this. I have a Saab 93, 55 reg, and was completely shocked today when my spring went. I thought this has to be rare cause the potential damage I could have had would've caused a recall surely.

Basically I was reversing ready to pull off when there was a big twang sound followed by a nice whiff of burning rubber. Stopped the car and got out checked the tyres and popped the hood but couldn't find anything wrong. I was supposed to be be picking someone up so thought well I'll go slow and see. got back in and started it, got about five meters and then a scrapping sound and more smell of rubber, so put it back and on the drive and thought nope can't go anywhere without knowing what's up. long story short took the front driver-side tyre off to find the spring dangling and had cut about 3-4mm into the side of the tyre itself and that was only going meters. 24 hours previous I had spent 3 hours travelling on the motorway so I consider myself very very lucky that it didn't go then. the tyre would have almost certainly blown.

I'll be taking this up with SAAB, but was wondering if it's worth logging a complaint with VOSA to help ensure the same thing is avoided by others. As I say, I was really expecting it to be pretty rare as I've always thought of SAAB as paying for good service.

At the moment the thing that annoys me most is being stuck away with no transport, but I'm sure that will change as the thoughts of how lucky I wasn't going 70mph sink in.

AWW buuy a bmw you can go as fast as you want

Sorry to hear your bad luck and looks like lucky escape from a much more serious situation. VOSA would welcome your details for their records and possible action. It's a disgrace Saab seem to be waiting for the worse to happen before they act. Wonder if the senior management are worried about possible future litigation when someone is seriously injured or worse? Hope you have some luck with Saab - they seem well versed though on how to say they can't help - look for the reasons - not replacing with Saab parts and not repaired by VAT registered garage! They seem to be the usual fob-off! Interesting ain't it - who in their right mind would fit the same coil springs which have so suddenly failed after such a short time? Anway would love to know how you get on? The Beamer driver by the way might like to google bmw coil spring failure before they go as fast as they want - they have had their problems and it affects the rear springs as well on some models! Hope you get your motor sorted.