North Anston fatal incident, 14/05/09, witness appeal

A BOY aged 15 has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was punched to the ground for refusing to hand over a cigarette.

Jonathan Simon Harper, aged 47, suffered severe head injuries and died after being hit by a passing car on Nursery Road in North Anston on Friday night.

He was on his way home from the Little Mester pub on Nursery Road at 9.30pm when he ran into a gang of four youths.

Locals say the boys, aged 14 to 16, demanded a cigarette and trouble flared when he said they were too young to smoke.

It is understood they followed him for a short distance before one punched him in the face as he stood at the kerb.

He fell into the road just as a green Rover was passing. The driver swerved but was unable to avoid him.

A Nursery Road resident said he heard the impact and ran out to see Mr Harper lying in the road with a severe head injury. A nurse stopped her car and tried to resuscitate him before an ambulance arrived.

A police spokesman said a 15-year-old local boy was arrested yesterday

morning on suspicion of murder.

The incident comes a week after dad-of-four Craig Wass died after being attacked when he asked a group of youths to keep the noise down in Loxley.

Mr Harper lived with his widowed 81-year-old mother Ida on a quiet cul-de-sac in Dinnington. He was single and had no children.

Police are appealing for witnesses, call 0114 220 2020

I live a stone's throw away from where this happened. I didn't know the victim, but chances are I've probably bumped into him a fair few times in the Little Mesters. To say I'm shocked (and I really don't shock easy), is a mild understatement.

Jonathan Harper, RIP.

Any witnesses, please get in touch with police to help the enquiry, and help put an end to the growing ASB problem in the area.

I heard about this sad incident today I live nearby too. I did not know Jonathan, my thoughts go out to his mum.

RIP Jonathan.

I hope the idiots get what they deserve.

I am also from Dinnington

God bless Jonathon

We live nearby and i saw the police there, awful thing to happen. I hope the book gets thrown at the youths, its digusting.

our thoughts go to the family and friends.