April Competition: Vote Here

ImpInaBox

Which do you think is the best photograph of 'Creative Cranes'?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the best photograph of 'Creative Cranes'?

• SunsetCrane
    • febuary_sunrises
    • crane
    • AMDG

It's 1st May so it's time to vote in our latest competition. The subject in April was 'Creative Cranes' and there were all of 4 entries. Such enthusiasm!

You can see the entries here. Click on a thumbnail pic to see it enlarged. Alternatively try the 'View Slideshow' link to see them all without having to return to the gallery page every time.

And just keep in mind while you're out and about with cameras, the subjects for the next few months competitions are...

May: Technology

June: Expression

July: Urban Detail

August: Leading Lines

September: Street Life

October: Domestic Still Life

November: The Dark Side

December: Celebration

Edited by ImpInaBox

BUMP!

It's a wet bank holiday Monday, half way thru the week and we still have only 10 votes!

Does anybody have any thoughts/comments about the entries?

Is it worth carrying on with this competition lark at all?

I like #3 the best. :)

Yes, carry on with the comp. However... can I suggest something to improve responses, entries and votes?

- Images should be allowed to have been taken retrospectively. Not everyone (including me) can get out with a camera enough to take a photo of a specific subject like a crane. If I had a photo of a crane in my library from 2008 I would have submitted it... but I wouldn't have been able to.

- The entries should be limited to 10 photos in total. This will encourage people to get their photos in a.s.a.p. Once 10 photos are entered... entries close and voting opens.

- Start a points system and league table to encourage repeat entry month upon month.

- The photos should be embedded in the thread.

I like #3 the best. :)

Yes, carry on with the comp. However... can I suggest something to improve responses, entries and votes?

- Images should be allowed to have been taken retrospectively. Not everyone (including me) can get out with a camera enough to take a photo of a specific subject like a crane. If I had a photo of a crane in my library from 2008 I would have submitted it... but I wouldn't have been able to.

- The entries should be limited to 10 photos in total. This will encourage people to get their photos in a.s.a.p. Once 10 photos are entered... entries close and voting opens.

- Start a points system and league table to encourage repeat entry month upon month.

- The photos should be embedded in the thread.

I think if you limit it to 10 it would be counter productive (if the aim was to get as many people as possible taking part and keeping interest in the comp alive). All the other suggestions I agree with!

The competitions aren't promoted enough, it should be a sticky at least. And encourage users of the group to have links in their signatures - current ones ;)

There has been some negativity in this group towards non pro's, which is probably also scaring people away.

Also, some of the 'themes' are very difficult/boring - if I dare say so! Lets face it cranes aren't the most exciting things :)

Tough theme this one, I thought. I couldn't think of a way to be particularly creative with a real crane (which is why I'd planned to make an origami one! ;))

But don't forget the bumper crop of entries for 'Weather'.

I think a faster turnaround on competitions might keep them fresher: first half of month to get entries in, second half for votes. That way it doesn't drag on for six weeks.

Mattsando, there are few rules in this competition and nothing that I've heard of includes having to take a pic specifically for the comp. Many of my entries have been taken months previous to the comp. The list of subjects for the rest of the year is published every month so you can be prepared. Pics don't have to be of something in Sheffield either. They just have to be your own work, something vaguely on-subject and only one entry per person per month.

I'd have to disagree about the 10 pic limit too. While a large entry tends to spread the vote more thinly we all benefit from seeing more interpretations of a given theme - even if we don't always like them! I don't know how many people post here on a more or less regular basis but it would be great if everyone submitted a pic every month.

I do like the idea of an ongoing league table tho. Perhaps if, as well as a continuous table, we had something like a rolling 6 months table it would stop one person or a small number from getting an unassailable lead . I'll see if I can dig up the past results and get the calculator out.

BJan, the negativity you mention - and I have to hold up my hand to some of it - has been mainly against people who post huge, or huge numbers, of pics for no apparent reason. I don't think any of us on here, pro or am, mind anyone posting their pics for comment/question or just plain showing off! But when a large number of pics appear with no explanation it gets a bit tedious trying to work out what the point is. Some posters also seem to moan if nobody comments and moan if they get negative comments. If the pics are pointless few people (except maybe our friend the Fonz) are going to go 'ooh, aah'.

And as for cranes being boring??? C'mon - open your eyes! Cranes produce some fabulous shapes and repetitive patterns. You just have to look for them. If you mean the four entries in this month's comp are boring then you might be right but that's only your opinion. I'm sure the posters didn't think so when they posted them. If we just had cute kittens every month... now that WOULD be boring!

League Tables...

Since beginning in April 08...

astridproll 12

ImpInaBox 10

beetroot 8

electrolyte 6

cloudforest 3

Jayemm 3

Laddo 3

neeek 3

Ark-Seven 2

astraman 2

Bad_Hair_Day 2

coyleys 2

garydickson 2

HockeyBear 2

Hook 2

taxman 2

Bilbo Baggin 1

eileen80 1

MeAndPippo 1

meehailam 1

neoquaid 1

peak4 1

Sheffandy 1

SnailyBoy 1

Last 6 months (Oct 08 - Mar 09)

astridproll 10

beetroot 4

ImpInaBox 3

Laddo 3

neeek 3

Ark-Seven 2

astraman 2

garydickson 2

Hook 2

Bad_Hair_Day 1

Bilbo Baggin 1

eileen80 1

meehailam 1

peak4 1

These are based on 3 points for a win, 2 points for 2nd and 1 for third. I've set it up on Excel so if anybody has any strong views about relative points I can try other systems.

There were some months when I couldn't find all the placed photographers...

April 08 - 3rd not found

March 09 - joint 1st not found (Fog)

If anybody can fill in the holes for me I'll update the tables.

Edited by ImpInaBox
beetroot 3rd= Jan09

And as for cranes being boring??? C'mon - open your eyes! Cranes produce some fabulous shapes and repetitive patterns. You just have to look for them. If you mean the four entries in this month's comp are boring then you might be right but that's only your opinion. I'm sure the posters didn't think so when they posted them. If we just had cute kittens every month... now that WOULD be boring!

I did not say the four entries are boring, so please don't put words into my mouth. The few entries this theme received seem to suggest I'm not alone in thinking cranes aren't the most exciting things. I wouldn't go out of my way to photograph them. But that is my opinion as you say.