ATM scam in sheffield

email i got today

Please be aware of the following incidents in case you are using ATM machines in the city centre.

In the last few days we have had 13 incidents of theft of cards from people using city centre cash points. The thefts have ranged from The Moor up to Fargate and have been carried out at different machines and banks generally between the hours of 11:00 and 13:00.

The incidents have also amounted to between £200 and £500 per transaction.

The MO for this crime is as follows:

Two asian males and one white male are following individuals to the cash points. The two asian males are in their late 20's early 30's, one is approx 5' 8" to 5' 10" and medium build whilst the other is approx 6' tall with a bigger build. The white male is also in his late 20's to early 30's. We have no further description of this male.

Once at the machine, one of them stands behind the person making the withdrawl or at an alternative machine if two are situated together and waits for them to put their card into the machine and enter their pin number.

Once they have seen the pin number, they are somehow turning the screen off on the cash point. Police have no idea how they are doing this and the banks are also baffled. The machine then appears to the customer has having crashed.

The customer is then entering the bank to report that the machine has crashed and taken their card. As soon as this happens, one of the males is turning the machine screen back on and taking the card. They are then going to the nearest bank and carrying out the maximum withdrawal available.

Please be aware of this and report anyone acting suspiciously around the cash points. If you use a machine and it goes blank, DO NOT LEAVE THE MACHINE. Explain what has happened to someone passing and ask them to enter the bank and explain the situation.

We have visited all the banks and a major investigation is underway with their fraud investigators.

I hope this email has enlightened you and helps to prevent you becoming a potential victim of these people.

I always use the ATM inside my local CO-OP, surrounded by cameras and mainly by people who I know. THe message is to be as carefull as possible and never assume anything. :)

this is a lame double post its not real.Please remove.

Thread exists here. Please use the search facility to check for current threads.

Closing.