Good places to start gigs

Hey,

I'm quite new to getting gigs, but I've decided that I shall be looking for gigs this summer instead of getting a full-time job. I've already booked for Redhouse on Solly Street, but where are other good places to start, and how might I go around getting gigs with them? Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S. My style of music is sort of like quirky folk.

Open mic nights are good to get started and talk to folks there.

West Street Live - type mentholman promotions myspace into google.

look at similar acts locally and see where they have gigs and messege them.

West Street Live - type mentholman promotions myspace into google.

look at similar acts locally and see where they have gigs and messege them.

Thanks for the suggestion: done and done, got a gig on the 14th of June at West St. Live :)

macmellus: I've been meaning to do more of those, I've done Open Space at the union a couple of times. Good fun!

Cheers for the ideas, anybody got any more?

The Green Room on Division St used to have a interesting acoustic night on Wednesdays, run by or called Opus I think.

Dulo on Cemetry Rd has a night called Acoustic Soul once a month on a Sunday. The next one is Apr 19th. I think they prefer non-rock stuff.

James

without doubt the best place to start you gigging is at the grapes on trippet lane. i used to be in a band, and it is pretty well known as the place to start.all the past 'good' bands have played there in their early days. to book it just head in there or give ash a ring- he is the sound engineer. when we did our first gig there it was £75 for the room, which seems a lot but you charge what you like on the door. if its your first gig, you are sure to make money, as all your family and friends turn up. we made 300pound. (by the way, i dont work for them or owt)

also, if you need to rehearse before hand, give me a call on 07920282780. we have a top quality rehearsal studio. (Thats my plug on this thread done!)

a quick tip as well, if you are fresh to the gigging scene, i would play somewhere other than the redhouse first. its a great place, which is good for gigging. but somewhere like the grapes or the corporation, have better sound levels as they have proper sound engineers. im not saying dont play redhouse, just play it when you have more experience, as you are left to set the amps up, so you need a very good idea of how loud each thing needs to be. you will end up turning everything far too loud!

without doubt the best place to start you gigging is at the grapes on trippet lane. i used to be in a band, and it is pretty well known as the place to start.all the past 'good' bands have played there in their early days. to book it just head in there or give ash a ring- he is the sound engineer. when we did our first gig there it was £75 for the room, which seems a lot but you charge what you like on the door. if its your first gig, you are sure to make money, as all your family and friends turn up. we made 300pound. (by the way, i dont work for them or owt)

also, if you need to rehearse before hand, give me a call on 07920282780. we have a top quality rehearsal studio. (Thats my plug on this thread done!)

a quick tip as well, if you are fresh to the gigging scene, i would play somewhere other than the redhouse first. its a great place, which is good for gigging. but somewhere like the grapes or the corporation, have better sound levels as they have proper sound engineers. im not saying dont play redhouse, just play it when you have more experience, as you are left to set the amps up, so you need a very good idea of how loud each thing needs to be. you will end up turning everything far too loud!

Well redhouse told me they'd be able to help with sound engineering, and I actually only have an acoustic guitar... that's all! So there isn't much to set up. Also it's too late, already booked with them on the 10th of June :P so unless I get something before then it'll be my first proper gig in Sheffield! Thanks for the tip though, I'll call up the grapes when I've got a chance, sounds great!

Isn't corp a bit big for a little fish like me, too?

Re: Your shameless plug for a rehearsal room, cheers. If my mate Alastair starts doing gigs with me I'll definitely keep it in mind.

@jamesstarky Thanks for the excellent ideas, I'll put those in the "to-call" pile as well :)

Drop me a PM. Ill sort you out a slot at the Green Room buddy ;)

Red house is perfect for you, my band played there and it was bit small and we were bit loud but for solo acoustic its pretty perfect and a lovely little pub.

The showroom is good as well when they put stuff on, maybe messege the band 'Trouble Breathing' nik in that band is a fantastic player and knows more about the better acoustic based places.

I may be able to help you as I book bands and gigs for the Moorfoot.

Visit my Myspace (see my signature) and contact me to tell me more about what you do.

Thanks for the all the ideas and offers everyone :)

@Classic Rock I appreciate the offer but I get the feeling my music wouldn't be quite right Moorfoot! It's pretty folky.

@MTheo I've contacted Trouble Breathing, when they've added me on MySpace I'll ask thanks :)

I'm still looking for ideas so if anyone has any please don't hold back :)