Sheffield Students pls read

I have a venue in mind near to the city center however I dont want to name it at min.

The purpose of my post is to ask what kind of theme would you and your mates be interested in? I am aware that you guys set different themes, so I'm testing the water with this thread, If a venue was to put somethin on for you what would you want? e.g Karaoke? 70s night? 80s? Kinky? fancy dress? or whatever theme? your input would be much appreciated.

Either post here or PM me, I'm lookin to announce a date and venue hopefully in next couple of weeks (will be a midweek event)

I think your barking up completely the wrong tree Bruno tbh.

If you think studos these days will like 70s/80s/karaoke then I'd just give up now. and kinky?! what on earth are you on about? :huh:

From what I can make out from seeing teams of students out on West St and going to Plug/Embrace etc mid week, they like 90s revival nights/music, fancy dress and chart cheese

If you're going for the mainstream student market - its very competitive and basically I'd have thought you have to have established a crowd by early october - just witness the cut throat promotion by all the major clubs & bars around late september. Maybe Easter isnt the best of time to be launching such a night?

I think your barking up completely the wrong tree Bruno tbh.

If you think studos these days will like 70s/80s/karaoke then I'd just give up now. and kinky?! what on earth are you on about? :huh:

From what I can make out from seeing teams of students out on West St and going to Plug/Embrace etc mid week, they like 90s revival nights/music, fancy dress and chart cheese

I put what I put for reaction, just looking for idea's of what students would like, of course there will be cheap drinks

I used to be a student at the University myself; how about a Drag Cabaret, for LGBT students? They're always up for a laugh, and I did a very good cabaret myself just last night in town...

Well thanks for the mellow inputs so far, I will be sorting some nights out, so far I have a good few ideas such as cheesy nights, 90s and one which i would love to work, a uni Vs hallam pop idol type night, with cheap drinks and free transport to get to the venue.

I used to be a student at the University myself; how about a Drag Cabaret, for LGBT students? They're always up for a laugh, and I did a very good cabaret myself just last night in town...

I do have a good idea for this, which will involve students lol

I work in the bar industry in town at a busy sheffield student venue my friend....

you are off your rocker!

in the words of dragons den,

save your money and give up!

Well thanks for the mellow inputs so far, I will be sorting some nights out, so far I have a good few ideas such as cheesy nights, 90s and one which i would love to work, a uni Vs hallam pop idol type night, with cheap drinks and free transport to get to the venue.

If you are city centre why do you need to provide transport? Secondly I agre with Undz, if these are seriously your ideas for a student venue give up now, it is nothing every bar in town doesn't already do! Uni vs Hallam lol, sorry but it has been done a million times!

Hi Bruno,

I've worked in this area for the last six years. I wouldn't give up on the idea of promoting a series of nights by any means as in my experience the student market is so diverse that there is always room for new ventures.

Having said that, I have to agree with a lot of the comments on this thread as it sounds like you will need to rethink you marketing if you are aiming for the mainstream student crowd. The comment about the time of year is particularly relevant as most venues are gearing up for a final push ahead of exam time. The amount of money spent on promotion etc is astonishing and unless you have a vast budget you may be better saving it for September.

Great to here that you're planned cheap drinks, this is obviously important but your priority should be finding a well known venue that students will recognise since many will often walk straight past a venue no matter how good the promotion/entertainment/prices are if the venue isn't 'student friendly'

Best of luck with it, Sheffield always needs more quality nights!

Hm, if students want cheap and kinky, they'd probably just go to Corporation's school night or something. Do we really need more cheap, cheesy nights? Do we really need to support American music from bygone decades? How's D&B doing in Sheffield at the mo? And local bands/records? That's normally bearable without having to get wasted...