Life in the 1970s in Sheffield

Originally posted by Damon

I guess it is. I just associate with my seventies school days, that's all. And I can't have been the only kid who just HAD to taste it...

ROFLMAO :hihi: yeah I might have guessed as much.. good question though WHY? is it called sugar paper. Maybe our thread leader the teacher knows!

And why was school milk always so warm?

Oh had to come back I had a flashback to my youth again.

The green cross code man! He came to my school, we were all sat crosslegged in the hall and this big green giant with a funny voice loomed over the top of us. We all had to recite the 'code' over and over again. I was petrified and it stuck in my brain. My kids keep ranting on about the cool hedgehogs but I still quote it to this day.

Do you remember when alvin stardust did the cross code campaign?

Ha, I met darth vader. Cool or what!

Every summer holidays in the 70's, there used to be a scheme which we called 'The Hut' in Meersbrook Park. The hut was a large shed that was put onto the bandstand. This was run by young people - students I believe. All the local children used to go every year. Inside the hut were play equipment - bats, balls, stilts and craft stuff like poster paints and easels. In those days, we didn't have rain in the Summer holidays. They also organised outings. I can remember having tours of the Express Dairy on Broadfield Road (remember the fresian cow in the window ?) and a tour of the fire station which was very exciting as they had just got a new state of the art appliance known as the snorkel.

We also had a Whitsuntide Parade - marching bands, boys brigade, brownies, guides, cubs and scouts would all march through the streets with banners and arrive in the park. You could hear the boom-boom of the band coming from miles away. It was always a hot day with plenty of ice cream vans. Everyone wore their party dresses and smartest clothes. For some reason, it was also traditional for my mum to put my hair in curl-rags the night before (which was very uncomfortable).

Meersbrook Park is also the best sledging park for miles around. Some years, there was even a dry ski slope there in the summer.

I also remember The Tufty Club at the Abbeydale Cinema (the building with the big white dome that became Drakes Office Supplies).

Originally posted by gillianbc

I also remember The Tufty Club at the Abbeydale Cinema (the building with the big white dome that became Drakes Office Supplies).

Around Christmas each year - usually in the week leading up to New Year - we used to go to a big Tufty Club thing at the ABC cinema. You'd have a load of road safety films, and various policemen would come up on stage and do something or other, award prizes or something. And I think the main feature was usually a Children's Film Foundation type movie, usually about a gang of kids (fat one, brainy one, daft one, little one etc.) who managed to foil a gang of rather unthreatening villains.

And of course, there was always a LIVE appearance by Tufty the squirrel himself who had to be led onto the stage by the aforementioned copper so that he didn't accidentally plunge over the edge.

Very festive it all wasn't, but it seemed entertaining at the time. And I've never been run over, so I guess it worked!

I don't know if you've had enough yet Jadrix29, but I'll put my 2ps worth in!

In the early 70s I remember moving into a brand new maisonette at Norfolk Park, which we all thought was the future. There was loads of greenery around for us kids to play in, and the views were spectacular.

My grandma moved into a multi story nearby, as she lived at Hillsborough and was part of the slum clearance that was happening all over Sheffield at the time.

By the lat 70s things were starting to change. Norfolk Park estate started to become a rough area, and my parents were desperate to move. House prices were going mad, so, like many other Sheffielders, they got on the property ladder while they could. They were saddled with a huge mortgage, and my mum had to go out to work as well.

Meanwhile us kids had to entertain ourselves by playing on the road, grumpily moving for the occasional car, going to the park and eating lots and lots of sweets.

I've got the fillings to prove it!

• 11 months later...

Anyone remember adventure playgrounds? The one I recall was on waste ground just off woodbourn Road, seemed to consist of loads of rope, old telegraph poles and a few students making sure no-one died! It would cause nightmares for todays nanny state wrapped in cotton wool society.

Monkey boots, with proper soles (non of that biscuit tread rubbish).

Those open back driving gloves with black and white check pattern on the back and Velco fastening.

Rally Jackets or a bit later lumber jackets.

Chopper bikes, or cow horn handle bars on any other old bike.

Trollies made from four old pram wheels and a few bits of wood... how we never go run over by cars I will never know. The estates of Sheffield were full of lads who had the capability to beat Jensen Button even in those days ;)

Long hot summers, long cold snowy winters.

School heating which was on all the hottest days, particularly during exams, but failed during the first snow which always fell about the first week in October.

Falling/being pushed into any of the watery bits in any of the public parks. I was on intimate terms with the fishies in Arbourthourne pond by the end of every summer holiday.

Waiting in casualty at The Childrens to be repaired after something went wrong.

Never complaining about having nothing to do, we made our own entertainment even if it was highly dangerous or got you taken home by the local bobby.

Ah happy times