Listed building.

Doesn't anyone recognise 'tongue in cheek' anymore?

but which cheek has basil been sticking his tongue in?

No.

Yes.

Maybe.

This is a fun game.

Anyway - I think if that land was a bare patch of grass and you were asked to develop a number of dwellings on the site, most people including myself wouldn't dream of building something like Park Hill again. Whilst a fascinating social experiment its clearly the kind of structure which in the hands of the wrong people (in terms of both building owners and residents) will have too many problems to allow it to succeed. Unfortunatley for Davlow4 it IS listed and will remain so for many years to come. The architectural and cultural justifications for its listing are unlikely to be outweighed by entire city-full of people who complain that its too ugly, let alone one next-door neighbour.

I'm also interested as to what davlow4 thinks any replacement would look like? Its a prime site medium density housing so we're talking town-house sized blocks at the very least, if not larger 'city-living' style blocks. Much of an improvement to your view?

Park hill was of its time. The flats themselves were spacious and very well designed, and a world away from the insanitary slums which they replaced.

The flats were warm and dry, with central heating and indoor bathrooms, with hot water "on tap" courtesy of the incinerator which was designed as part of the complex.

There wasn't really anything wrong with the flats themselves, even with the "brutalist" architecture, it was the "problem family" people whom the council had to put into the flats that caused the decline. I remember my grandma's flat on Park Hill, my aunt's flat on Hyde park, and even my own time, living on Hyde Park, where we'd mop our doorsteps, and take a pride in the surroundings, we had a sense of cohesion, of community.

I would be happy to live on the re-furbished Park Hill.

As for Davlow's comments about an ugly view, my favourite thing when I couldn't sleep was to stand at my window in the still of the night, and just look over the city, watching the cars, and the lights, it was a lovely view, especially toward Xmas when park and castle squares were decorated.

Davlow wouldn't like my living room...I have a framed print of Park Hill on the wall and I love it.

http://www.heritage.co.uk/apavilions/glstb.html#m

De listing

1.13 A decision to list a building is taken solely on grounds of architectural or historic interest. There is no formal right of appeal against this decision, at the moment of listing, but an owner may at any time put to the Secretary of State evidence that his building does not possess the architectural or historic interest identified. (See also Section 3.6 below). If the Secretary of State accepts that the original assessment of a building's interest was wrong in this way, and that it does not possess special interest, he will then 'de-list' the building.

I think you'll have your work cut out, but best of luck.

They'll say the special interest is that it's so unbelievably crap it needs preserving as an awful warning to stop any more being built.

Thank you! At last a reasonable answer to a reasonable question! As far as I can see, the architectural interest extends to the post-Georgian era concept, 'build 'em as fast as you can, and cram as many as you can'. I can see no redeeming feature to this building other than the one put forward by yourself, i.e. Do not repeat this mistake. That isn't an argument that will bear any examination. The residents of this area should not have to bear the brunt of the errors of someone who is probably living a life of luxury in the Carribean

Quite simply, to get it torn down as soon as is humanly possible! I recently moved home, and it fills the view from my living room window. That apart though, there is the cost to Sheffield of having this monstrosity being the first thing visitors see as they enter the railway station, at a time when the City Fathers are trying to promote us as a city of the future, a city to invest in.

There is also the cost to the taxpayers. I'm not sure what the Council are proposing to do with this eyesore, but I see a team of workmen toiling away there every day. Perhaps they are volunteers from the Listed Building Afficianados Society striving to keep it going. I don't think so, someone is paying for this futility, and that someone is us.

It's being renovated by a Manchester based property development business/architects - No cost to the tax payer, as the flats will be private when finished - try not to worry so much :)

Not all of the flats will be private when they are finished. Some of them will be social.

What did you expect to see out of a city centre residence? The hanging Gardens of Babylon? Wildebeest roaming majestically accross plains? You'll be asking if someone can move the sun a little bit to the left soon!

I am sending a copy of this to John Cleese. who. I am told, is quite litigious.

Not all of the flats will be private when they are finished. Some of them will be social.

It will still be as ugly as it was before.

I can tolerate ugly buildings such as Brown Baileys, Dunford Hatfields, et al, but these were representative of this Cities magnificence, its' standing in the world. All demolished, places in which I was proud to have worked, and what do we offer in their place as monuments to our achievements? Park Hill Flats! Do me a favour!

It will still be as ugly as it was before.

The ones that aren't sold outright to a buyer will be shared ownership - they are having cafes and bars etc down there too... I agree that the building was a eyesore, but it might perk up yet! It's the only one of it's scale in the UK and was built by a high profile architect - I have seen some of his flats in Europe and they all look better than the Sheffield ones as they are not black! Always built previously in nicer / cleaner cities than ours anyways... Hope that Urban Splash sandblast the thing before they start rebuilding... I wouldn't waste time trying to get a building that is thought to be so important in the architectural history of the country delisted... Looks like you either move house or learn to love it!

Well I live on Park Hill flats and I'd like to find out how to apply to have davlow4's house demolished. It ruins the view from my balcony!

Are you related to Basil Rathbone, the actor who played Sherlock Holmes in 40's films?