Fletcher/Haywood walkely lane

Hi im starting this for my friend who is trying to find out sum family history ...her family lived on walkely lane s6 in the same house untill it was sold in the late 90s she belives that her great grandparents on her mothers side Fletcher owned the house 1st and then passed it down till her mother and father ended up with it . but she not sure on all that ....she also trying to trace any Haywood family in sheffield that my know more about that side . John haywood is now in his mid 80's her dad Kevin Haywood his son there were also 4 brothers one of which passed . kevin is about the middle of the 5 sons of John.

if anyone pls has any info pls get in touch so i can pass on anything that my help.

It would help to know the house number on Walkley Lane, and any first names for the earlier Fletchers.

As for the Haywoods - how old is Kevin Haywood? Are they a Walkley family?

Hugh

Hi Hugh 161 walkley lane she didnt want me to put it on at 1st .kevin is in 56 . The Haywood family have moved alot around sheffield around the foxhill area kevins mum and dad even moved to oz in the early 80's. Im not sure about the Fletchers she going to have a good look in family paper work and let me knw .

Just a couple of snippets in case they are helpful. I looked in the 1925 directory; at that time the occupant of 161 Walkley Lane was “Matthew James Smith, shopkeeper”. I happen to have the 1973 Kelly's Directory also - at that time “Mrs Ellen Yeardley” lived at 161 Walkley Lane.

If John Haywood was born in Sheffield, then looking at birth records the most likely entry is a John Haywood born in the third quarter of 1920 - mother’s maiden name Pickles.

thanks for the help i will pass the info on to her and see if help her and let u knw if it was any help.

could it have been a shop then the house 1st or would it have just been the family home ...and if it was a shop could we find out wot it sold ect and could it be that ellen yeardley was a smith 1st . my mates mum ill and cant remember much . and her grandma doreen fletcher nee yeardley has passed away.

The father of John HAYWOOD born 1920 was Horace, who was born in Wadsley.

Was Kevin born in 1956 or is he 56 years old? Also, does he have a middle name?

Since we are talking about living people we should limit what we post here - feel free to pm me.

In 1901, 161 Walkley Lane is a family home - the home of Robert DRUMMOND furniture dealer. I am not sure if it was also his business premises. I think that address may be a typical terraced house, which might be too small to be storing furniture for sale. In 1911 (a directory) it's a shop with Mrs Eva ROGERSON as the shopkeeper.

Hugh

I imagine that 161 Walkley Lane would originally have been a family home - with Robert Drummond the furniture dealer living there in 1901 as HughW wrote. He could have been the original owner/tenant, as the houses seem to have been built around the turn of the last century - probably not long before this. Looking at the property, it seems likely that the front room with its bay window would have been used as the grocer's shop that Mr Smith kept in the 1920s, with him and his family evidently living over/behind the shop. Eventually of course most such shops closed and the building reverted to being a family home. In fact as it happens, my great-great-grandfather Samuel Lawson lived at No 95 Dykes Hall Road, and from 1872 until his death in 1894 he carried on a grocer's business in the front room. His widow Elizabeth continued the business for a few years, and then in 1901 she moved into an almshouse and No 95 became just a family home again, as it remains today.

By looking in directories from the late 1800s onwards it would be possible to establish roughly when No 161 was built, when it became a shop, who ran the shop, whether or not a different family lived above the shop etc., and when the building ceased to be a shop. The Local Studies Library on Surrey Street have a good collection of such directories.

John Haywood's parents Horace Haywood and Annie Pickles were evidently married in Sheffield in the third quarter of 1919, when Horace would have been 41 and Annie either 18 or 22 (two Annie Pickles' were born in Sheffield; 1897 and 1901). Horace's father, also Horace, was born in Wadsley, and it might not be difficult to trace this line back further.

Postscript: It proved very easy to trace the Haywood line back to the mid-1800s. Horace senior’s parents were John and Elizabeth Haywood, who were aged 43 and 41 respectively at the time of the 1861 census. They and their children (Mary Ann, Henrietta, Horace, Fred, John William and Mary Elizabeth) were all born in the Ecclesfield district (which would have included Wadsley). As the oldest child, Mary Ann, was born in 1848-9, it seems likely that her (and thus the older Horace’s) parents were the John Haywood and Elizabeth Park who were married in Sheffield in the third quarter of 1845. In the 1851 census they are shown as living at "Townhead, Wadsley". The Townhead cottages, built in the 1830s, are still there - just off Worrall Road near the junction with Rural Lane.

Edited by hillsbro

thankyou very much for all your help both of u im sure all the facts that u both have come up with will help my friend alot with her family tree and her family history . im hoping now that she will join the forum so u can talk to her and not though me as its nice that shes finding her family stuff but it should be her thats seeing it 1st hand . thanks again x

Hi fliketyflic1

I know Kevin Haywood(moggie) he works at Gilders Hillsboro and the house was originally a shop

not beeing rude but i think his daughter knws that lol but thanks any way im doing this for her she want to find out more about the passed of her family x

Hi I don’t know if any help but my family was Fletchers they lived in & around walkley I know definitely cundy street my father married Christine Appleby who’s mother used to live in house on corner of walkley lane & I think Morley street my dad was Keith, he had older sister not sure if Margaret,Sheila Janet,