Single measles mumps & rubella vaccines

God and they expect us to believe them when they say its safe but they can make such a life changing mistake giving a 16 week old baby the wrong vaccine!! I just feel that if my twins did have a reaction to the jab how would I cope with 4 kids and maybe 2 of them with problems. That may sound selfish but its summat I dont want to risk.

How about you just dont give your kids any vaccines and hope they dont catch any diseases?

I had the MMR when I was a baby, and again when I was in junior school... and I'm perfectly fine, at least to my knowledge :)

The huge increases in ADD, ADHD, autism etc are not down to MMR I dont think, I belive that was just being used as an escape goat as nobody really knows why theres an increase in them...

My personal oppinion? It's either to do with the polution in the world, which is always on an increase... increase polution, increase child "defects"... sounds reasonable to me...

or it's just simply similar to my beliefs on cancer... that it's part and parcel of our evolutionary cycle... if someone's body/mind is "defective" it reduces their chances of being lucky enough to pro-create... in the grand scheme of things only the strongest and fittest are meant to survive, unfortunatly in a civilised world that doesn't happen and we breed in defects...

and btw, NO, I'm not some sick messed up person, I just like to look at things from as many angles as possible, my brother has ADHD, dyslexia and other problems, but my mum is dyslexic also... I believe most of the problems are genetic... so we wont cure them...

but hey, I'm no scientist, so we all might be lucky :)

I'm quite surprised at some of the ill-informed stuff on here by people who shoudl probably know more than me.

If you want to disbelieve anything a drug company sponsors then dispute almost every bit of research ever. The system isn't perfect, you have to go on multiple results, and as independent as possible.

With MMR, you'll find virtually the entire scientific community considered that research bogus. You aren't talking 1 MMR-related company doing research, you're talking a lot of research by several different organisations and with better peer reviewed papers.

It's like 100 people saying one thing, 1 saying another, and believing the one.

In any walk of life, science or not, you'll always get someone disputing something.

There are people out there who think immunisation is wrong!

Once again, I have no issue with parents choosing MMR as separate jabs as its understandable but the reserarch linking MMR and autism was shown to be seriously flawed, and no other research has shown it (and there has been a lot, not just sponsored by one drug company either).

Originally posted by gazelle

God and they expect us to believe them when they say its safe but they can make such a life changing mistake giving a 16 week old baby the wrong vaccine!! I just feel that if my twins did have a reaction to the jab how would I cope with 4 kids and maybe 2 of them with problems. That may sound selfish but its summat I dont want to risk.

Of course, when we have our children, we all wish for a healthy child, and that our child not have a disability.

Speaking as someone who grew up with a sister who was "learning disabled":- it was not easy, but, on the other hand, having a disability or a child with a disability is not the end of the world, either, as hard as it can be. It can actually be enriching experience, for some people, believe it or not!

People with disabilities can have a very fulfilled life; I became dependent on a wheelchair 11 yrs ago, after being a very active, busy person. it was hard to adjust, at the time, but now, I am back at work, and I have a great job, in a great charity, working with other disabled people. a lot of people have said that they think that their life would not be worth

My youngest nephew was born with the soft-spot on his skull already sealed, (something to do with the hard water in the area my sister lives in, we understand) and he suffered severe brain damage. he is 12, but has the mental capacity of a 20 month/ 2 yr old toddler. However, he has a happy life, he is a darling lad. He has done more than I have, in his little life:- he's ridden in a helicopter, and been featured in a national newspaper article.

(sorry, that was another "aside")

PT

Originally posted by Mo

I refused to let my children have the MMR vaccine and instead self funded the single vaccines.

How is having each one seperately any different to having all 3 at once ?

Originally posted by nick2

How is having each one seperately any different to having all 3 at once ?

It doesn't overload the babies' immune sytems, nick.

having them seperately, gives them the chance to recover from the one jab, before giving them the next.

If I had the choice, that is how I'd do it for a child of mine.

PT

Originally posted by miggy

I The whole thing about the MMR jab and autism was shown to be rubbish. The investigation was flawed and the investigator was shown to be being paid to prove a link, something he didn't disclose when it was a requirement to do so.

Not true.

Andrew Wakefield, a much respected surgeon and paediatric gastroentologist's research showed an apparent link intitially between MMR and crohn's disease. Measles virus was found in the gut of a group of children who were presented to him in his role as an NHS doctor.

A number of these children were also autistic and he was approached by these parents to investigate if there was a link between MMR and autism.

His mistake was that he didn't disclose this study he was doing in tandem and as such the Lancet would have rejected his findings. That is not because his findings were not correct but that it could have been interepreted that ther was a conflict of interest.

Failure to find a connection between MMR vaccine and autism is not the same as proving that there is no link.

There are other studies that contradict Andrew's findings.

No link has been shown by anyone else and I seem to remember his research methods have been criticised (on this I could be wrong).

His findings were always considered suspect before the link to the legal team was found, a link he didn't even disclose to his own staff.

A little off the point but it is relevant - there are plenty of arguments as to why more people seem to be seen as on the autistic spectrum, but generally speaking it's considered that teh diagnosis is now more commen due to improved knowledge and understanding. Noone is sure if there are actually more real world cases or not.

Originally posted by Mo

Failure to find a connection between MMR vaccine and autism is not the same as proving that there is no link.

That is true, but I think in this case people choose to believe there is a link, like people choose to believe that mobile phone masts are bad for you though there is no proof they are.

For me the sadest part is that single vaccines are available as an alternative but we are not been given the chance to choose these.

I would say that whether a link has been shown or not is irrelevent. If there is a shadow of doubt then single vaccines should be brought in even if there is a charge for them.

But nothing is completely safe, some people will be negatively effected by any treatment, people die from taking malaria tablets, but the risk of dying of malaria if you don't is much greater.

Mo, I'm with you on the single vaccine availability, but there is doubt on everything medical related. You have to draw the line somewhere.

It may not sound nice, but it comes down to probability and statistics available at the time. Unless the case is exceptional, studies need to be repeated before panicing the public as happened in this case.