Thomson Sky digibox keeps reverting to standby

sierraman

• 2 weeks later...
Sky boxes should only go into standby mode automatically between the hours of 11pm and 4am; if they been inactive for 2 hours (for example no buttons have been pressed on the machine or remote).

I have had one digibox (PACE) for years. It never went into standby. Recently I had another one (Amstrad) installed in another room. It worked fine for a few weeks and then suddenly it started going into standby. I rang Sky. An engineer from one of their sub-contracted companies came and replaced the Amstrad digibox with a PACE one!! The new PACE box is working fine. However, the old PACE box, which had worked fine for years, has now started going into standby. Today, I even saw a message on the TV to the effect "your digibox is about to go into standby mode". And that was during the day, not between 11pm and 4am. I then found this thread and have changed the Auto standby to off. Let us see what happens next.

Also, with the old PACE box, the interactive screens on Sky News (Channel 501) have lost sound. And some channels which I was able to see in the listings on TV Guide, have gone missing. However, both the sound on interactive screens and "missing channels" are ok on the new PACE box!!

HELP!

I was thinking of blaming one of the dogs or cat for playing with the remote until I recorded a couple of films during the night. Ten minutes or so before the end of the first film I got the standby message instead of the end of the film!

This has got to be one of the most stupid updates I've ever come across.

I wonder how many people have lost recordings because they were out or in bed instead of pushing buttons on the remote? Are we supposed to leave the TV on all the time (plugged in via scart) so the box doesn't go into standby? I'm assuming that's why it doesn't do it during the evening whilst watching digital TV.

Do Sky have shares in the power companies and are looking to increase their profits?

Having the TV on will make no difference. The box only knows you're watching because you're using the remote. If Sky had shares in power companies they'd not bother with this as it's done simply to save energy (something like enough energy to power birmingham for an hour is wasted each night according to thier info channel).

Solutions? Turn off auto standby, or buy a Sky+ box <===== Here's your cynical answer as to why they've done this ;)

I have had one digibox (PACE) for years. It never went into standby. Recently I had another one (Amstrad) installed in another room. It worked fine for a few weeks and then suddenly it started going into standby. I rang Sky. An engineer from one of their sub-contracted companies came and replaced the Amstrad digibox with a PACE one!! The new PACE box is working fine. However, the old PACE box, which had worked fine for years, has now started going into standby. Today, I even saw a message on the TV to the effect "your digibox is about to go into standby mode". And that was during the day, not between 11pm and 4am. I then found this thread and have changed the Auto standby to off. Let us see what happens next.

Also, with the old PACE box, the interactive screens on Sky News (Channel 501) have lost sound. And some channels which I was able to see in the listings on TV Guide, have gone missing. However, both the sound on interactive screens and "missing channels" are ok on the new PACE box!!

HELP!

The Pace digibox with which I was having problems had the following software:

Operating system version: 1.2S4FJ

EPG sw version: 3.7.6

Overnight the problem has gone away, i.e. all Sky News interactive windows have sound and all the missing channels are back. So, what has made the difference? Overnight the software has changed and gone back to the previous working versions, which are

Operating system version: 1.2S4FI

EPG sw version: 3.6.4.18

Looks like Sky may have had a change of mind and are withdrawing the newer versions of the softwares.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to say thank you.

For a month or so now I've noticed it's not possible to record late night films like I used to be able to, because of this *&^%^%^%^% "upgrade"

Five mins reading this thread, five seconds with the remote and presto.

If this auto standby was jonathan porrit's idea of a joke I aint laughing.