Ever thought of migration to NZ?

would you consider emigrating to NZ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. would you consider emigrating to NZ?

• yes
    • no
    • would like to find out more
    • where's NZ :0)

Hi Tammy :wave:

A friend of mine, now deceased, originated from NZ. He used to talk of the beautiful landscape - mountains, forests, sea-shore, lakes, etc. (They filmed the Lord of the Rings trilogy in NZ).

His daughter visited the land of her father, and spent three months touring North & South islands. During her visit, she met her future (American) husband there.

I've never been myself, but when that lottery win comes my way.........I'll pop into see Tammy!

Any forum members emigrating to NZ can of course keep in touch with those of us back home via the forum!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by BobDaBuilder

The site is down....:( :(

How long's it gonna be down for? me and the missus have always considered OZ or NZ and that would be a great chance to get all the answers we're after...:thumbsup:

I'd go for the east coast of Australia every time if you want to live somewhere where there's anything happening.

NZ has some beautiful scenery, agreed, but with less than 4 million people spread out across a country around the same size as the UK, the place is not exactly a hot bed of activity. In fact it's probably the most boring (westernised) country in the world.

I have to go there on business at least once a year and the whole country is like a huge retirement village.

It's probably a good place for the oldies to retire to, but if you have teenage kids, they will hate you forever if you make them emigrate to NZ.

Hi Mojo

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I wouldn't say there is nothing to do here. I have 3 girls and they are always busy, they play tennis (something we could never afford to send them to in the UK). Rugby, Cricket, volleyball, they go winsurfing, rock climbing and there are many clubs and outer school activities.

There are just over 4 million people in NZ, and this means you can get the best of both worlds.....I can go into town to the pubs and clubs that stay open all night, movies, theatre etc or I can take myself off to the beach or beautiful walkway in the hills and feel like I am the only person in the world.

I am in Christchurch so can only speek from my experience there, we have 320,000 people. We are lucky enough to have many council events put on that are normally free. Concerts in the park, school holiday programes, cultural festivals......the list could go on. Christchurch is a very young and family focused city, with many bar, cafe, resturants to cater for the diversity in this city.

I don't know where you go to do buiness but it certainly doesn't sound like Christchurch....so maybe next time you are in NZ and you fancy popping in to Chch, drop me a line and maybe I can show you around.

Cheers

Tammy

Originally posted by Tammy

Hi Mojo

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I wouldn't say there is nothing to do here. I have 3 girls and they are always busy, they play tennis (something we could never afford to send them to in the UK). Rugby, Cricket, volleyball, they go winsurfing, rock climbing and there are many clubs and outer school activities.

There are just over 4 million people in NZ, and this means you can get the best of both worlds.....I can go into town to the pubs and clubs that stay open all night, movies, theatre etc or I can take myself off to the beach or beautiful walkway in the hills and feel like I am the only person in the world.

I am in Christchurch so can only speek from my experience there, we have 320,000 people. We are lucky enough to have many council events put on that are normally free. Concerts in the park, school holiday programes, cultural festivals......the list could go on. Christchurch is a very young and family focused city, with many bar, cafe, resturants to cater for the diversity in this city.

I don't know where you go to do buiness but it certainly doesn't sound like Christchurch....so maybe next time you are in NZ and you fancy popping in to Chch, drop me a line and maybe I can show you around.

Cheers

Tammy

Are you sure you don't work for the NZ tourist board? ;)

My sister, a teacher, emigrated to NZ a few months ago and it sounds like she and her teenage kids are having a fantastic time. She researched the move first by going on a long visit to some ex-pats in Christchurch (perhaps it was you, Tammy?!!). I'll pass on your website details in any case.

Tammy mentions that they hold Balls in New Zealand to attract men. Just as likely to drive them away , unless you're very careful.

Seriously , it says something about the state of Britain when in the S.F. survey , over 60% would like to emigrate and a further large group are thinking about it.

Co-incidentally , other national surveys I've seen come out with similar results.I know some people will give "flip" answers to questions in surveys sometimes but I really do think there is a general malaise in the U.K. about the direction the country's taking. After all it takes a lot of courage to uproot yourself and move about 12,000 miles away.New Zealand is supposed to be "like Britain was 30 years ago". If that's true [and I believe it] no wonder so many people want to go.

Think what the lucky New Zealanders have missed !

Hi Fareast,

Thanks for your comments. I have 2 close friends from Sheffield that have emigrated within the last 4 years.

I am also suprised how the poll is going and will be interesting to see how the goes

cheers

Thanks Tammy and Hello.

I wish I was about 30 years younger and then I might make the move. However , I AM working in China but only on a one year or half-year contract. There are a good few people here from Australia and New Zealand and , without exception , they all seem open and friendly. It usually takes us Brits about 6 months to warm up------unless we're full of beer !