I have never actually met a racist in sheffield

A lorry delivery driver pal of mine, a Londoner by birth, was accused of making a racist remark by someone in Sheffield only yesterday...

Out of his cab, he was asking a pedestrian for directions, and finished the conversation by saying "Cheers, me ol' china......."

Another couple, just walking past at the time, lambasted him for making an "insensitive remark"!

I met one the other Monday on woodseats :

A young women had just approached a pensioner to ask for "20p for my bus fare" after the women had gone the pensioner said to her friend " she must think Iam daft must think Ive just come in on the bananna boat"

I find those remarks racist for obvious reasons what do others think

I have to challenge that one.

I get your general point but...

My mum used to say that to us all the time.

I have heard black Liverpudlians use it loads of times. It is just an old saying that may have had some racial element in it a century ago. In those days it simply referred to new people from foreign lands, who would (as percieved then) not had as much education as us edjumacated Brits.

The HMS Windrush in the 50's and 60's was NEVER a bananna boat. You are totally wrong on that one mate. Also if you knew much about British history, many Islands in the Carribean was under British rule and was part of the commonwealth. After the mess of World War II, West Indians were asked to come and do the service jobs where there was a lot of shortages. Please keep your historical bigoted lies to your self.

First of all, I will thank you not to call me a bigot or a liar unless you have evidence to support these statments. As I an neither, then you will find this difficult.

Secondly, neither I nor the person I quoted mentioned The HMS Windrush in any decade, making your post complete rubbish.

Thirdly, banana is spelt thus 'BANANA'; I refuse to be called a liar by someone who cannot spell.

Fourthly, I made no statements about the commonwealth, or British rule in the Carribean, I simply suggested that there was a well known practice of stowing away on Fyffes banana boats, which brought the fruit to this country, via there depot originally based in Cardiff dock and later at Barry dock.

I rarely say things that I don't know to be true. I worked on Cardiff dock in the 70's and I don't remember seeing either you or HMS Windrush there....

although I did meet some idiots there......

I had my house gutted and rebuilt this year and had to endure the constant racist crap spewed out by the builders. Who would say things like "I'm not racist but I hate the chinese". They are not alone in their views, sadly.

Is that racist?

I dare say that around 11th November there are many people in the UK who say they hate Germans. That isn't racist. That is fact. Isn't racism is when you start to do something about it.

Is that racist?

I dare say that around 11th November there are many people in the UK who say they hate Germans. That isn't racist. That is fact. Isn't racism is when you start to do something about it.

No, racism is being predudice towards a race and can be verbal. It might be fact that they do hate a certain race but it's also fact that they are racist for beliving it and saing it is being racist.

LINDOS

Ha ha, come on I type 50 words per minute, so for a man thats not bad to have a spelling mistake every once in a while.

Where is YOUR evidence of stowaways in banana boats and when was this. Probably in the 70's when everybody on the planet was trying to get to Britain. You did not mention HMS Windrush as that was the era when the majority of HONEST hardworking West and East Indians came. Its funny how some people, especially racists miss out the good points and high light the few negative points on certain things. Wouldnt you agree sir.:thumbsup:

Then to top that off you quote "dont know it to be true", just because you worked in Cardiff (Barry), one port out of Liverpool, Southampton, Portsmouth, etc.................

I was born in Sheffield mate but my parents were from Jamaica. My uncle fought in World War 2 along side English soldiers, for the Jamaican and Commonwealth armies. That is why I feel incensed by you banana boat theory. The majority of immigrants from the 50's & 60's were ASKED to come and help the British services as there was not enough people taking the crappy jobs.

No, racism is being predudice towards a race and can be verbal. It might be fact that they do hate a certain race but it's also fact that they are racist for beliving it and saing it is being racist.

You have totally lost me with your definition of racism.

I believe that most of us favour our own race, and that this is natural.

If you had family members killed by German or Japanese it might also be natural to be against them.

Real racism though is denying people human rights. This can be by actions/ inactions or words.

The words could be in joke form which if used too many times sets a bad stereotype for feeble minds.

Then again most of us will sometimes believe something if it is repeated over and over, or appears on TV.

You have totally lost me with your definition of racism.

I believe that most of us favour our own race, and that this is natural.

If you had family members killed by German or Japanese it might also be natural to be against them.

Real racism though is denying people human rights. This can be by actions/ inactions or words.

The words could be in joke form which if used too many times sets a bad stereotype for feeble minds.

Then again most of us will sometimes believe something if it is repeated over and over, or appears on TV.

My definition is what racism is and not what people concive it to be to feel they aren't being racist. Natural or not doesn't matter, it's a word with a definition. A baby born today in Germany has had no hand in the killings of wars and shouldn't be judged by it. If we judge people by the actions of other people of their race through history then we would end up hating pretty much everyone, including people in our own country.

My definition is what racism is and not what people concive it to be to feel they aren't being racist. Natural or not doesn't matter, it's a word with a definition. A baby born today in Germany has had no hand in the killings of wars and shouldn't be judged by it. If we judge people by the actions of other people of their race through history then we would end up hating pretty much everyone, including people in our own country.

I can understand that, but racism has nothing to do with logic.

NB

I have re-read your post I now realise that you were replying to another, and not defining racism. sorry

I can understand that, but racism has nothing to do with logic.

No your right. What is and isn't racist is clearly defind. But what causes offence is different from person to person. So like you say a racist joke can be ok and also can't. I belive racism to be fine if it's without negative intention, but it is still defined as racism and the intentions can be misunderstood.

No it isn't.

Just because you make up your own definition does not make it right.

Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. It has nothing to do with whether people like people from a different country.

No it isn't.

Just because you make up your own definition does not make it right.

Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. It has nothing to do with whether people like people from a different country.

This is funny

Your whole definition shows prejudice against a race and so is the same as mine, you just describe situations that come under my definition. If you think one race is superior to another I think you'll find there is one person in the superior race that is inferia to one person in the inferia race. Hence they have been wrongly judged through prejudicm because of their race, and that my friend is racism