Benefits System, I have an idea....

how dare you make that assumption! my parents spent many years on benefits when i was growing up! i am now 31, i own 2 houses outright and i am an area manager for a large firm. enough said!!!!!

good for you mum 31 :). thats great. however, i would humbly suggest that you form the minority of this demographic.

why weren't your parents working btw?

but I'm more affronted that we have a tax system that allows people who earn vast amounts of money to get away with paying virtually no tax.

no tax? i find that hard to believe sibon. do you have the evidence?

my sorry excuse for a father spent most of my childhood in prison ( best place for him). mum tried her best but had to give up her job because of childcare issues. i do have a bugbear with the benefit system though. my neighbour claims some sort of benefit for being depressed.....does the working population not get depressed then????

my sorry excuse for a father spent most of my childhood in prison ( best place for him). mum tried her best but had to give up her job because of childcare issues. i do have a bugbear with the benefit system though. my neighbour claims some sort of benefit for being depressed.....does the working population not get depressed then????

oh dear :(. so your ma was effectively a single mum. difficult one.

is your neighbour single and childless mum?

as single people form a significant portion of the depressed, benefit-dependant populace, apparently.

Guest sibon
no tax? i find that hard to believe sibon. do you have the evidence?

I did say virtually no tax. Try the google that I suggested above... or, since it is late, read this... it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/27/tax

The problem is every job you could think of that you would want someone on benefits to do (eg gardening, litter picking, care work etc) I know people who are being paid minimum wage to do.

So if you start paying people benefits for doing those jobs you are taking away work from people who pay taxes and contribute.

I did say virtually no tax. Try the google that I suggested above... or, since it is late, read this... it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/27/tax

i take your point sibon. what would you suggest the government do instead?

oh dear :(. so your ma was effectively a single mum. difficult one.

is your neighbour single and childless mum?

as single people form a significant portion of the depressed, benefit-dependant populac, apparently.

my mum did her best with what she had and im forever thankful to her for that.

as for my neighbour.. she is in a relationship, has 2 children with a 3rd on the way,1 of which lives with her mum. she been claiming for being depressed for about 18 months. i have no idea how the hell she gets away with it!

Guest sibon
The problem is every job you could think of that you would want someone on benefits to do (eg gardening, litter picking, care work etc) I know people who are being paid minimum wage to do.

So if you start paying people benefits for doing those jobs you are taking away work from people who pay taxes and contribute.

But there is plenty of work not being done. With a bit of creativity, surely we could harness the talents of the unemployed to create a better environment for all of us, whilst also offering those that want to work an opportunity to show what they can do. Workfare is a bad idea, good quality volunteer work, with an education and training element is a good one.

this doesn't make any sense to me ktb. could please clarify?

she been claiming for being depressed for about 18 months. i have no idea how the hell she gets away with it!

she's probably on some form of meds....unless you think she's not actually depressed? in which case you could report her to the benefits fraud team at this site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BenefitFraud/index.htm?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money

with a 3rd on the way

and if she IS depressed, she certainly should not be having another baby. that kind of thing really makes me mad.

a newborn with a depressed mother? what hope has that child got?