My first rescue Battery hens :)

I've had another 3 this morning, plus had a real good bonding session with one of the girl's....took her up and gave her a big long cuddle in the house! Awwwww She's beautiful! She sat on my lap for ages taking it all in, gently stroking her head and soothing word's, she's my gal and I don't care if folk think I'm silly! lol:)

As to above....just be confident! They are only bird's at the end of the day....the seemingly nasty one..will respond to lot's of love and attention....she has had the hardest life of all,...cos she's had to fight and protect all her life.

She's not used to love and attention, let alone allowed to be, what she is...just a little chicken, Awwwww.

Self, don't care about the eggs, she is just a poor innocent animal, who learned to live with the cruelty of human kind...till now!

A good cuddle is what they need! Wether they like it or not..lol They will soon become your best friend..lol

The phantom chicken lover of Shiregreen...lol!

Hi folks-

Really pleased that these little ladies are settling in. They were a real fiesty bunch of hens leaving the farm on Saturday, a number of volunteers are currently sporting bruises from being pecked so hard. Including me!!! :hihi:

Just goes to show they are lively, and why not. Wouldn't you feel scared if you had spent the majority of your life (so far) in a cage with others pecking at you.

I am pretty confident that even the feisy one at the moment will settle down, it's a case of knowing who feeds them and looks after them and they will come round.

I am SOOOOO jealous about the eggs, as I said above mine are seriously going through moult at moment.

ooooh!

we were there too. ours were put straight into their own little coop by the side of our existing 'small flock' (of three - unused ones....) and the three who were here already spent the rst of the afternoon peering over at them.

we'd heard about how ex-batts are a bit confused to begin with, but our two started stretching their wings and pecking about straight away, which was a delight to watch. they are very friendly and like raisins :)

gladys was a bit reluctant to go to bed the first evening, but now they are both (the other one's ethel) pretty settled in. they seem to be laying one egg a day between them, so i imagine they are taking it in turns.

:)

hey puddinburner - we are very close to where you are - you sound pretty experienced with this chicken lark....... if we get alarmed by anything unexpected i may be shouting for advice!

Lol...it's been a long time, but it all comes back, Greta is the main Guru on chiuckens here, brill lady!

Well mine are in fine fettle today, laid 4 and getting more lively everyday...much of the day was spent sunbathing, stretching wing's, feeding and rooting. One found a worm and it lasted her ages!

I'm in S5 too, so yay!!!! I'll show you mine if you show me your's...lol

I'm so pleased everyone's hens have settled in well, just gutted that I wasn't there! :(

Hi all

Saw one of my hens doing something really strange this morning, she was squatting in front of the food bowl, then rubbing her face, the each side her body on the ground.

You know....exactly like a dog does when it smell's fox poo..lol

Wondered what on earth is she doing? She was trying to roll like a horse does having a dust bath..maybe. There is a tray of silver sand in there for exact purpose of dust bathing.....so why did'nt she use this if this is what she's trying to do????

4 egg's this morning...YAY!!! All seems okay and the girl's are getting back to normal chickeness....lol

Hi all.. My ladies did really well the first few days and now my eggs have stopped :(

They are all settling in great and have been in the coop and out into the garden.

Its great how their personalities are coming out, one is really curious and struts about the garden and two others stick like glue! My cats have had a few run ins with them which is hilarious to watch :) a massive ragdoll cat getting chased my a semi bald hen :D

today we put gladys and ethel in with our existing 'flock' and they are loving it.

unfortunately, the other three girls are terrified of them and have been cowering in their house ever since.....

oh well - hopefully they'll all be friends in a couple of days...

My little girl and little lad had the very first eggs, looked really nice and enjoyed them too, was surprised as babies don't usually like egg my lad is 14 months.

I made my Chocolate sponge yesterday, now that was really nice and did'nt last five mins....:hihi::hihi: Gonna get fat but who cares...so are the chickens:hihi:

HI puddinburner your gran,kept some chickens just after the war, but she made the mistake of having a cockerel with them it was ok untill the neighbours started complaining about being woke up at four am every morning , so for god,s sake dont get a cockerel,not jocking.:thumbsup:

HI puddinburner your gran,kept some chickens just after the war, but she made the mistake of having a cockerel with them it was ok untill the neighbours started complaining about being woke up at four am every morning , so for god,s sake dont get a cockerel,not jocking.:thumbsup:

LOL.....Your simply NOT ALLOWED to keep a cockerel on a council estate, it's against the rules and regs, most of this estate don't get up till 12pm and we would'nt want to upset folk, much as getting them up at 4am would do them good:hihi:

Our girl's are still laying 4 a day, put some Broccolli hung up for them today...not a clue what to do with it, poor little one's.

Still have our cuddles and everyone seem's to be getting the hang of being a chicken and not just an egg laying machine!

They are brill!

So when are you coming over for your supply of free range mum? Ha Ha, bagsy today's 4 for Yorkie pud's tommorrow...mmmm can't wait.:hihi: