Are you a blood donor - or not?? Reasons why...

Do you give Blood - if not, why not??  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Blood - if not, why not??

• Yes, I am a Blood Donor
    • Used to give blood - now I don't want to (no particular reason!!)
    • Tried to - Iron levels too low
    • Tried to - Bad Experience!!! (Bruising/Fainting etc)
    • Don't like needles!!
    • Don't like Blood!!
    • "High Risk" Lifestyle
    • Medical History
    • Location of session
    • Timing of session
    • Thought about it but not tried to
    • Not though about it
    • Don't think I can (but not checked!!)
    • Foreign travel
    • Tattoos/Piercings in last 12 months
    • Don't know where to find info
    • Other!!!

There don't seem to be many who don't like needles (my choice)! I avoid them whereever I can, I think my Hep B booster is coming up soon :( I managed to avoid that for years (I work for the NHS, but the university wouldn't let me go on placement without that :rolleyes:).

Maybe I should bite the bullet and try it, and perhaps find out if I am anaemic!

I have to have my booster soon as well....... :(

Still, better the jab than the disease!!!! :)

I was giving some student midwives a laboratory tour today - one of them said she'd like to give blood, but didn't like even the thought of the needle. After trying to reassure her that it really didn't hurt (that much!!!) she asked about the needle size. I said about 1-2mm....

She said "Is that all??? I thought it was like a metal rod in the arm!!!!" :hihi: :hihi:

Go for it... it's not that bad - honest!!!!

I am unable to give blood as I have Lupus SLE

I'm minimally anaemic so I don't think I'd be allowed to donate.

The last time I donated I had a bruise larger than a cricket ball...don't know why, usually I can't even see where the needle has gone in. It was a bit disconcerting but won't stop me going back

I've been back since and mentioned the bruising. The nurse told me she'd be more careful but I still ended up with internal bleeding which ran down my arm to make a strange barcode type pattern.

I'm intending to tell them next time that I'm really not happy with the level of bruising I've had the last couple of times

Oddly i thought i'd be the only one but someone on here has also posted. Some people went through Malaria zones, i was less lucky, i caught the nasty little bugger.

I think having had Malaria means you can't donate ever. I am unclean, impure and not fit to give my tainted blood. :gag:

I've had cancer treatment, am anaemic and have had blood transfusions, so sadly I won't ever be able to give it. Can I just say though, that without folks like yourselves I don't know how I would've got through chemo. I've persuaded quite a few friends/family to donate, wish I could do more to help.

I've been back since and mentioned the bruising. The nurse told me she'd be more careful but I still ended up with internal bleeding which ran down my arm to make a strange barcode type pattern.

I'm intending to tell them next time that I'm really not happy with the level of bruising I've had the last couple of times

Awww!!! That's a shame!! :( Is it the same nurse each time??

Maybe your veins are a little thin so the needle goes straight through (Ouch!!)

I've seen people with haematomas after giving blood... Not a pretty sight!! :gag:

Oddly i thought i'd be the only one but someone on here has also posted. Some people went through Malaria zones, i was less lucky, i caught the nasty little bugger.

I think having had Malaria means you can't donate ever. I am unclean, impure and not fit to give my tainted blood. :gag:

Sorry, Cuey, but that's about right!!! The malaria parasite hides in the red blood cells until reactivated...... so if your blood was transfused to a patient, the parasite would be transmitted as well.... :( :(

I've had cancer treatment, am anaemic and have had blood transfusions, so sadly I won't ever be able to give it. Can I just say though, that without folks like yourselves I don't know how I would've got through chemo. I've persuaded quite a few friends/family to donate, wish I could do more to help.

Gald you're better...

Just keep persuading people to give blood!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awww!!! That's a shame!! :( Is it the same nurse each time??

Maybe your veins are a little thin so the needle goes straight through (Ouch!!)

I've seen people with haematomas after giving blood... Not a pretty sight!! :gag:

Different nurse each time. Its odd because in the past I've walked out of there with barely a pin prick to show where I'd been needled

Different nurse each time. Its odd because in the past I've walked out of there with barely a pin prick to show where I'd been needled

Managed to have a quick chat with one of our RGNs today....

He thought if you've been giving blood for years, then your veins could be quite scarred which would make bruising more likely.....

He suggested next time, if you offer them your other arm and see if it's got tree-trunk veins (!!!!) they could try that instead!!!

I've got so many pin-pricks in my left arm, they could tear me on the dotted line!! :hihi: :hihi: