The Sheffield Gay Scene

Which after party was that? We got flyers for Sanctuary and then they kicked us out at half four! Something about the dj being ill, more like it was dead and they didnt want to be open! They have had the last of my money.

alas, that seems to be a common thing with Sanctuary.

we tend to only go out after 1am/2am, so when a venue advertises a certain finish time, it is somewhat disheartening to get there to find the venue shutting down earlier.

particularly if one has travelled out of one's way to get to the venue in the first place.

Oh there's a few of us coming out your way on Friday night/Saturday morning LINKY!! I do hope the doors don't close early or the place is dead ....we're always used to a ''rammed to the rafters'' party atmosphere !!?? And a warm welcome !!!! I do hope some of you will introduce yourselves :o

Anyhow anyone wanting to join us ?? just post on the thread as shown above !!!

:rolleyes:

Oh there's a few of us coming out your way on Friday night/Saturday morning LINKY!! I do hope the doors don't close early or the place is dead ....we're always used to a ''rammed to the rafters'' party atmosphere !!?? And a warm welcome !!!! I do hope some of you will introduce yourselves :o

Anyhow anyone wanting to join us ?? just post on the thread as shown above !!!

:rolleyes:

Yes this will be my first After-party as well and I have seen so many bad bitchy comments on here, I hope it isnt like this on Friday, I dare to think what I will post on my return :P:P

It would be nice to see some of you, who are obviously going, we dont bite and there are more going than what is posted, some are not on SF.

Lets try to be all one - Unity and all that crap. :)

be nice meet sum the faces off here ill even get u a drink if im on door hows that

be nice meet sum the faces off here ill even get u a drink if im on door hows that

Aye get me and the guys a pint each ....that would do nicely...even if you're not on the door just tell your bar staff to be expecting us !!!

;)

Yes I may well jump on the band wagon so watch out all the Lions Lair heavies will be descending on Sanctuary army stu ;-)

I'm not gay but i did enjoy visiting Fuel with a gay female friend of mine, tenner to get in and all you can drink it was wonderful.

I disagree. True Sheffield is not Manchester, but there is obviously the market there. You only have to look at Climax at the union and the number of people that do go to DUMPseys to see that a place could do well. I don't know where venues are going wrong, perhaps it is the mind-set of some people. Hopefully, with the Moor being demolished and a lot of money being pumped into Sheffield things will change; whether people like it or not!

Good point Welshboyhere - where do all the people who attend Climax drink / party the rest of the month ?

Does it mean the gay venues in town don't cater for their needs? Or are they in straight venues the rest of the time (and there's nothing wrong with that !) ?

Good point Welshboyhere - where do all the people who attend Climax drink / party the rest of the month ?

Does it mean the gay venues in town don't cater for their needs? Or are they in straight venues the rest of the time (and there's nothing wrong with that !) ?

I have wondered this many times, the people who you recognise at Climax you just dont see out on the gay scene in Sheffield, maybe they travel further afield for this once a month event.

Maybe I should ask when I go this Friday :)

There is a market you're right, but they're not aiming it right. Climax does so well because of the drinks offers, the dj's, the live entertainment and the themes , plus the fact that the venue is so big and only held once a month. It's what 4 quid to get in..which is a pound dearer than events at bars. Dempseys will never lose the customers because it has the reputation, everybody always ends up in dempseys and people love it becasue you can do what you want in there. get off your face and be falling around and no-one will care. There's no pretence. The fact is,the Sheffield gay scene wil never change. regardless of people's attempts. You can bring Manchester to Sheffield but you can't make it work.

I am surprised redroom you are missing speed queen off the list (I am assuming you're same redroom)! That is busy and a brilliant night! Like you say they are doing it wrong. I think Sanctuary is a nice place but not a 'club'. Personally, I can bare climax once every couple of months, I would love a gay venue to play proper music and not cheesy crap. Like a drum and bass night and electro nights and stuff like that, but hey the chances of that are as likely as Boris johnson deciding he wants to be the mayor of Sheffield instead.