Shopping In Chapeltown In The Fifties

Does anybody remember the names of the shops in Chapeltown in the fifties and early sixties and what they sold.

Some of the shops were - Harlow and Lawrence (Chemist). Melia's (Grocers). Staniforth's (Butchers). Barnsley British Co-Op (sold just about everything). Bolton's the Bakers. 'Chinny' Cooper's (sold everything). Tom Kay (Electricals). The Stocking Box. Platts' Chip Shop. South Yorkshire Times Printing Office. The Cosy Cafe (later became Jill's Pantry). County Library. Post Office. Marshall's News (could have been later than the 50's). Cobbler's shop. Rusby's Bakery. Yorkshire Penny Bank. Don Valley Cleaners. The Market was there then too. A Wallpaper shop. There was also another Chemist's shop opposite 'The Wagon and Horses', but I can't remember its name but it could have been Timothy White's. Palace Cinema in Station Road (went many times). Mr Broadbent used to sharpen knives etc. from his cottage almost under the bridge by the market. On that bridge was the sign - 'This is Chapeltown, the home of Newton Chambers'. The Izal Factory was in Station Road - not a shop of course. Parramore's Foundry was at the far end of Smith Street. I am sure there were more, but that is all I can remember.

Do you remember Whittakers sold furniture clothing, carpets etc Vince Whysall ran it with his wifethere was a shop ran by a couple called Lax they had a daughter called Hazel.

Do you remember Whittakers sold furniture clothing, carpets etc Vince Whysall ran it with his wifethere was a shop ran by a couple called Lax they had a daughter called Hazel.

Sory I don't. However the name Lax is a good old Chapeltown one.

Some of the shops were - Harlow and Lawrence (Chemist). Melia's (Grocers). Staniforth's (Butchers). Barnsley British Co-Op (sold just about everything). Bolton's the Bakers. 'Chinny' Cooper's (sold everything). Tom Kay (Electricals). The Stocking Box. Platts' Chip Shop. South Yorkshire Times Printing Office. The Cosy Cafe (later became Jill's Pantry). County Library. Post Office. Marshall's News (could have been later than the 50's). Cobbler's shop. Rusby's Bakery. Yorkshire Penny Bank. Don Valley Cleaners. The Market was there then too. A Wallpaper shop. There was also another Chemist's shop opposite 'The Wagon and Horses', but I can't remember its name but it could have been Timothy White's. Mr Broadbent used to sharpen knives etc. from his cottage almost under the bridge by the market. On that bridge was the sign - 'This is Chapeltown, the home of Newton Chambers'. The Izal Factory was in Station Road - not a shop of course. Parramore's Foundry was at the far end of Smith Street. I am sure there were more, but that is all I can remember.

Haven't been on the site for a while, just read your message about shops in Chapeltown. If I remember correctly there was a drapers shop run by Mrs. Warner, next to Olive Lax I think. With regard to Whittaker's I remember Mr and Mrs Whysall very well.

I remember Mrs Warners amd Hazel Lax and her Mum and Dad.

I used to go in Mrs Warners to buy headscarves as presents for my Mum many years ago.

what were the shops on Market street next door to the new platts's chip shop before it all got pulled down for the Asda? After the shops there were 3 or 4 little cottages and an air raid shelter then the Royal Oak. I remember the old lady who lived in the first cottage which I think was number 2 Station road was Mrs Blake.

Do you remember a dress shop on there called La Femme ?

Marina Travel was on there at one time. The printers across the other side of 'the one way steet' as we used to call it, was owned by Howarths for the last few years. They didn't have it for long though, they were from Barnsley and he'd had a printers on Peel Steet.

We were related to the Platts, still are I guess :hihi:but not seen them for years.

Can't remember the air raid shelter before the Oak and keep trying to picture it in my mind. Wasn't Chapeltown nice then, nothing like it is now.

regarding jills pantry, now the chinese takeaway, next time any of you are walking past, take a close look at the iron railings that run along the windows and the words "JILLS PANTRY " are still there, built into the railings.

Yes, I always used to notice that Jills Pantry sign, I think last time I remember it was a bit battered but still there.

even though i was born in chapeltown , i was brought up in ecclesfield and wondered what year was asda built, i dont recall what it was like before that.

I think it was built in 1975 because I remember a lot of people getting jobs there on leaving school. I left in 1976 and the saying used to be ''As'da got a job'' ? :hihi:

I'm sure the land there belonged to the railway and I just remember walking past it on Arundel road (on the brow of the hill where the bridge goes over the railway line) and it just been wasteland. Infact we were a bit scared walking past it because it was so dark and spookily quiet, we used to scare each other and run past :hihi: